Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello,its been awhile since ive been on but i have some questions about my chief..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello,its been awhile since ive been on but i have some questions about my chief..

I was wondering how do you remove the pushrod cups and the cam follower posts out of the 48 chief cases,,im assuming you have to heat in the oven and press em out,,
    is there any percautions or tricks I should know about? the overhaul manual does not cover this..at least the one I have doesn't...
    I thank you in advance,,and take care.................gar.

Hi:

Second time trying...

First, they are IN there!!! You will need a puller.

I think I posted the process about a year ago. For me, I cut them out with a carbide end mill in a Bridgeport. But they can be pulled.

If you build a puller, use something like a grade 8 bolt or threaded rod. One tip in building pullers is to use a thrust bearing on the puller in order to remove the friction from the puller. I can post some pictures of one if you like .

Protect the cases at all cost. They won't come out easy, but they will come out. Glad to try and help if I can.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Gar!

Sometimes an ovenheat and a slap-hammer will pull them easily.

Sometimes it takes innovation (Attached).

....Cotten
      Attached Files
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

thank you for the replies sirhr,and cotton,they are very appreciated,,,im going to post up some pictures of these cups,,they might even clean up with some dedicated attention,,the running fit between the pushrod shafts in the cup feels really good by feel anyways,,but this is my first indian and have no experience with rebuilding them,,,,my current rides are Harleys and ive been into their internals on rebuilds,,when I compare the two I feel Indians may be more forgiving in tolerances than Harleys,,
        This project has been sitting idle for way to long now,,it feels good to be taking a stab at it again,,,its going to be a long road for both of us,,,,,,thanks again guys,,,ill keep you posted

Comment

Good to hear that you're giving that flathead some attention!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
            Good to hear that you're giving that flathead some attention!
            yeah it feels good to be able to get looking at this again cory,,
            and,thanks for the picture of that puller you posted cotton if it comes to it ive got a pic to go by to make one thank you!!heres some pics I took this afternoon..
            want to try to show the inside of the cups,,

Comment

I was wondering to remove these follower pins,do you drill the back side of them and remove from the steel insert in the case?

and do replacement pins where they run into the case look kinda like the studs on a Harley clutch hub,that have a good fit to the insert and you just peen in place??
              just things that have me wondering....,,more pics to come as this progresses,,this week ill be taking the cases to work for some glass beading,,
              thanks folks...

Comment

Originally posted by gary.h View Post
                this week ill be taking the cases to work for some glass beading,,
                thanks folks...
                You might want to take a look at this before you take those cases to work.... http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ring-the-Cases It might get you pondering.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

thanks for that cory,,,, it makes me look at it differently now I may just borrow this other bead blast gun with a holding tank,and use baking soda instead,,,ive used baking soda before with my home made soda blaster it cleans good and does not destroy or change the metals or alloys its used on..it is a pain in the ass to use and may need some redesigning..
                  thanks for making me pause and think this through.....

Comment

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...an-Chief-Motor

Hi Gary:

This is the thread I mentioned with case cleaning... and guide removal.

FYI, those cases had no beading or soda at all. Done by hand. Took a bunch of time, but, as my friend Gabe said yesterday, they're the cleanest, best looking casers he has ever seen. And when it's fun... taking extra time is part of why we work on these old things.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by gary.h View Post
                      I was wondering to remove these follower pins,do you drill the back side of them and remove from the steel insert in the case?

and do replacement pins where they run into the case look kinda like the studs on a Harley clutch hub,that have a good fit to the insert and you just peen in place??
                      just things that have me wondering....,,more pics to come as this progresses,,this week ill be taking the cases to work for some glass beading,,
                      thanks folks...
                      Why do you want to remove the cam follower pins?From the pic they look to show almost no wear.
                      Tom

Comment

thanks for posting that link of your cases sirhr!
                        those turned out awesome,,,,,i used baking soda to take off a lot of the grunge today,,but now I seen your thread and the results,and would like to follow suit im glad I have heartedly soda cleaned the right case,that was it I left the left case and cam cover alone,,these will be done by hand now,,,im also heavily considering due to the shape of my guides im going to try to resize and try to find oversize rods,,or making my own sleeves and press them in,hone to size and even have the oil galley cut in there there seems to be some alteratives to using what you got to give it some more life,,,,,, its not like I need this bike on the road tomorrow so ive got time to explore a lot of avenues,,thanks for your input folks! I,am very grateful.............

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
                          Why do you want to remove the cam follower pins?From the pic they look to show almost no wear.
                          Tom
                          hi Tom! I figured they needed to be changed because I can feel on both of them where the followers have wore into them a bit,,,
                          this is where I begin overthinking this,,i mean is it really critical the running fit of the followers on these pins??
                          if I get new followers (the old ones need new wheels and bearings installed) can I just hang them on there,,it would be nice,, these are some of the questions I ponder and I welcome any feed back,,,thanks everyone....and take care....
                          just going to leave some pics of my wheels when I was checking the runout in my lathe,,,its kinda crusty but it has its moments and serves me well..

this is the reading off the pinion shaft..

heres the sprocket shaft reading..

im hoping I can hone these races in both case halfs and use oversize rollers,ill have to see if they clean up first though..

Comment

I can't tell from your pictures, but presumably you have rust in your pushrod guides? Usually you would ream them out and fit oversize pushrods. If they don't clean up and you have to replace them, I would heat up the cases and pull them out with a tool similar to what Cotten posted. Mike Breeding used to make a puller for that purpose, but I don't think he makes them anymore, so you would have to make your own. I wouldn't worry to much about the cam follower pins. Fit new rollers ( rivet and peen) and slap some assembly lube on them. If you have to remove, again heat cases and press from the inside of case.

Comment

Gary!

The inserts that house the lift pins can be left in the case, as long as you support them with a piece of pipe or whatever when you press the pins out, towards the cam chest. This best preserves alignment.

And replacement is prudent with any worn piece, of course.

The pushrod guides can be honed while in the case, and probably best as they would close slightly when pressed back anyway. I wouldn't remove them unless damaged.
                              A Sunnen "keyway" mandrel is required for honing the guide bores when there is an oil slot.

And Oilcan!

It's a helluva reamer that will cut an Indian pushrod guide.

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X