1961 Harley Davidson Tank Shift FL with Sidecar Front End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Harley Davidson Tank Shift FL with Sidecar Front End

20131029_145202.jpg20131001_190444.jpgI have the Transmission done and in the frame. The Motor is being redone now but I am in need of a front panhead head or heads along with an original carb and intake. Primary will need replacement too. I am hopeful I will find extra parts at the swap meet in Fremont. Any help locating would be helpful.
    I picked this project up from a long time friend who had the bike at a shop over the last twenty plus years with very little ever completed. The bike shop moved a few hundred miles north of where it was. I was glad he got most of the bike back this fall. Many boxes of parts both original and custom with extras if anyone else is looking for special goodies for their project.
    Last edited by steve pan pizza; 02-02-2014, 10:53 AM. Reason: added pictures

Thanks for your help.

Here are more pictures of the 61FL20131001_190542.jpg20131001_190603.jpg Slow but sure to Finnish in this lifetime.

Comment

Steve

Lucky that the front head is the easiest to find. If I have an extra head of that vintage I will bring it to Fremont.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by steve pan pizza View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]12559[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12560[/ATTACH]I have the Transmission done and in the frame. The Motor is being redone now but I am in need of a front panhead head or heads along with an original carb and intake. Primary will need replacement too. I am hopeful I will find extra parts at the swap meet in Fremont. Any help locating would be helpful.
        I picked this project up from a long time friend who had the bike at a shop over the last twenty plus years with very little ever completed. The bike shop moved a few hundred miles north of where it was. I was glad he got most of the bike back this fall. Many boxes of parts both original and custom with extras if anyone else is looking for special goodies for their project.
        I see you still have the dual point in it. Did you mark the flywheels while it was apart?

Comment

The motor was rebuilt 20+years ago. It will be dismantled and rebuilt just so I know it is done right.

Comment

Thanks Jerry
            I was almost up by your neck of the woods last weekend in Green Bay for a swap there. See you in Fremont!
            Last edited by steve pan pizza; 02-02-2014, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jerry
              I was almost up by your neck of the woods last weekend in Green Bay for a swap there. See you in Fremont!
              For many years I used to vend in Green Bay at the old Riverside Ballroom -- is it still there. Haven't been there in probably 15 years. Kind of a dump but made a little money and bought a few parts.

I am actually all the way across the state.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by cdndewey View Post
                I see you still have the dual point in it. Did you mark the flywheels while it was apart?
                Does he need to mark something if he is using original flywheels for that year or only if not? Thanks, Bob #6738
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                  Does he need to mark something if he is using original flywheels for that year or only if not? Thanks, Bob #6738
                  The factory didn't mark the flywheels for the rear cylinder until late 61 I believe. Until then they had a screw in tool to use to show where the rear cylinder should be timed. I suspect (but don't know for sure) all aftermarket aren't marked for rear cylinder timing.

Comment

Aren't there two peens marked on the fly wheel for this from the factory
                    ?

Comment

?
                      Depending on the vin number of the bike. If it's before 61FLH 7987, then no, after that yes.

Comment

I'm sorry. I was thinking Michigan not over by Eau Claire.

Comment

My #'s higher than that. Thanks

Comment

?
                            Originally posted by cdndewey View Post
                            Depending on the vin number of the bike. If it's before 61FLH 7987, then no, after that yes.
                            This is a pic of the flywheel that came out of my 62FL12xxx, I assume its original markings? It looks like a 7-1 date code. Bob Rice #6738

Last edited by BigLakeBob; 02-12-2014, 05:17 PM. Reason: added text
                            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                              This is a pic of the flywheel that came out of my 62FL12xxx, I assume its original markings? It looks like a 7-1 date code. Bob Rice #6738

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12677[/ATTACH]

Looks just like the two pair I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X