1937 Indian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

photo 5.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Been slaving away in the garage lately got a little bit done on the scoot. I do have a question on the preload on the fork bearings. I have the sealed bearing in the top and the tapered in the bottom I crank down on it but it seems like there isn't any preload (no play in the bearings at all) but maybe it feels so smooth because there is no damper.

Mom insisted that I had St. Christopher on the bike so she bought me this cool shift knob.
    Last edited by phillie; 12-30-2013, 10:06 PM.

Comment

photo 3-1.jpgphoto 2-1.jpg

I have the wrong sided brake lever if anyone has a right hander I'd be willing to make a deal. Other than that the front is mostly done as far as controls and what not. Looking for a nice used set of grips as well. The seat is all mounted, I think it's too far gone though the varmints ate half the cushion. I am not sure what it goes to though it measures 16 inches long and has two studs one on each of the back corners.

Comment

image-9.jpgimage-10.jpgimage-13.jpgimage-14.jpg Here are a few pics of the seat would love to figure out what it is for. Leaning toward stripping it down seeing it is in such bad shape.

Comment

image-1.jpgimage.jpg one of the previous owners welded the sidemount stand on the frame. I'm going to grind the weld off and move it to the proper spot. The other problem I have is that the spring mount is broken off and I tried welding some material on and repairing it, however I did not add enough. Does anyone have a picture of the mount and dimension?

Comment

image-12.jpgimage-7.jpgimage-11.jpgimage-2.jpgimage-4.jpg Got most of the wiring done this weekend. I bought a ignition switch for 20 bucks saving myself 380 bucks. I'll keep hunting for an original one but cant afford that much right now. I think it looks ok and will serve the purpose for the time being.

Comment

The original stand on my 39 had a stop that went to the battery tray, I could see some flexing at the tray when kicking the motor over. I bought another stand with the stop tab working at the cross member and added some weld to make the machine lean at a proper angle. All that changed when I mounted a new lower profile tire. I looked at many sidestands in parts piles and on machines, don't think I ever saw one in unrepaired original form. I would suggest that you wait for final fit on the stand until after the machine is up on tires.
              Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Great progress in just a few months. You'll be on the road before you know it.
                Eric Olson
                Membership #18488

Comment

good idea koanes I will wait for final mounting point then tack weld it into place. Next I just need to figure out the spring mount. Eric that is the plan hopefully later in the summer it will be on the road but money will be tight. I am putting up a bigger shop this summer. If anyone has any 37 hubs for sale let me know been hunting w no luck so far.

Comment

nobody knows what the seat is???

Comment

Looks like a mid to late 40' Indian seat. Vented pan, Rolled edges, airtex foam and the studs for the corner guards would be the typical traits
                      Last edited by Oilcan; 02-01-2014, 11:42 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Thanks Oilcan!

Comment

Well it's been a while since the last update. I finally have almost everything for the powerplant and trans. I just got everything back from REM polishing. Hot rod cams and followers. Decided to stick with 74 c.i. for now. Picked up some crusty wheels on fleabay. Picked up some tanks in NJ and CA and Detroit. Deciding which ones to use. I am going to use an older seat I have for now, I was wondering if anyone recovers seats and heavily distresses them? anyone know? Anyways the Cannonballers have given me motivation to get going on the bike again. Complete roller as of last night. I went through all of the brakes and hubs, new rubber too. Getting real close I can almost feel the wind at my back!!!!

image-1.jpgimage-2.jpgimage-3.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

Michael Paquette at Worsham Castle can help with your seat
                            Bob Selph
                            1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                            1940 Sport Scout
                            AMCA#15215

Comment

Ill try that Bob I heard good things about Mike.

Comment

37.jpg

Finally on the road. I'm looking for an original early 30's open fender for the back if anyone knows of one....

Comment

Working...
                                X