1942 WLA Bobber Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 WLA Bobber Build

I, like Eric, also have a build thread going on Buzz's forum. I'm building a Bobber around a 42 WLA engine and using some civilian and some military parts. At this point I am fixing a disaster of a frame that I got and the I will be back on track. I won't bore you guys with all of the pics, just bring you up to speed with a music less montage.
    Al Cournoyer
    1942 WLA Boober
    1928 JDL Super Sport In progress
    Member #23154

After photobucket finishes with their maintenance. Love the new name of the thread, the only thing I could post in the Legendary category would be Legendary screw ups.
    Al Cournoyer
    1942 WLA Boober
    Member #23154

Comment

Originally posted by alanc48 View Post
      After photobucket finishes with their maintenance. Love the new name of the thread, the only thing I could post in the Legendary category would be Legendary screw ups.
      Now that is funny Al! Keep up the good work and you'll find yourself a nice ride!
      Bob
      '' The hurrier I go, the behinder I get ''

Comment

Very cool, give us mere mortals a chance to show what were working on. I am excited to see this, well done.

Comment

So I started with a set of 42 WLA cases

Got my conn rods honed

Assembled and balanced the flywheels, conn rods

Al Cournoyer
          1942 WLA Boober
          Member #23154

Comment

Assembled the flywheels with the bearings in the case halves

After getting my cylinders back from the machinist I lapped in the valves and assembled the valve gear

Al Cournoyer
            1942 WLA Boober
            Member #23154

Comment

I then installed the piston and rings on the small ends and made sure they were square

Piston clip installation tool, a must have

Piston squaring plate, another must have

Installing the jugs, had to be real careful of the piston rings

Installation complete

Last edited by alanc48; 09-21-2013, 09:35 AM. Reason: Wrong pic
              Al Cournoyer
              1942 WLA Boober
              Member #23154

Comment

Next was cam gear timing. I marked the lines on the gears with a white paint marker so they were easier for me to see

I set the lash on the valves, threw the heads on with original gaskets sprayed with copper gasket spray, left everything loose, installed the intake manifold with a rebuilt M-88 carb, and here she is.

Al Cournoyer
                1942 WLA Boober
                Member #23154

Comment

Next up was the tranny (I am 90% done with it! had a hell of a time finding the right shifter drum.) I am mainly using the manual and this build from another forum which has been invaluable http://www.sscycle.com/tech/viewtopi...45+trans+build

I'm going to spare you guys the details and blow right through this

First thing I did was clean everything up, chased the holes and made sure everything fit

Clutch gear and bearings

Installing the seal with the special tool

Checking the endplay after installing the mainshaft and clutch gear

I then installed the cluster gear and counter shaft, proper clearances were obtained by changing out the spacers after checking endplay. At this point I had taken this thing apart and put it back together about 20 times

Al Cournoyer
                  1942 WLA Boober
                  Member #23154

Comment

And almost there, i still need to install the drum I just got along with the shifter forks.

Last edited by alanc48; 09-21-2013, 09:40 AM.
                    Al Cournoyer
                    1942 WLA Boober
                    Member #23154

Comment

I'm now working on the sheet metal and frame. This pic shows the alignment tool used for the reserve gas valve rod installation (another tool you can't live without.)

I welded the mounts for the trim and badges on the tanks (that's a repop badge, I was goofing around with different color schemes.)

Heres a pic with the tanks and a later fender installed. I found somebody who needs that fender and tail for their 1952 build so that's gone now. A bobbed military fender is going on.

And finally, where I'm at. The frame had a chopped sportster (or something) neck welded on and somebody had modified the rear frame ends.

I have the proper frame ends and I am currently waiting for the framehead casting I bought to come in to put this baby back to original.

Al Cournoyer
                      1942 WLA Boober
                      Member #23154

Comment

You take much better pictures than I do Alan. I think projects like your's are the best thing you'll see on a forum because even though the bikes are different, you can learn from the applicatations, and solutions. Glad you found a neck casting; that will really kick your project into gear.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                          You take much better pictures than I do Alan. I think projects like your's are the best thing you'll see on a forum because even though the bikes are different, you can learn from the applicatations, and solutions. Glad you found a neck casting; that will really kick your project into gear.
                          Thanks Eric, the hardest part about taking the pics is not getting smegma on the lens. I can't believe how hard it was to find that frigging casting, when all is said and done I still will be well under what frames are going for on flea bay right now. The build can hit high gear now that the frame will be repaired, I'll spend some more time cleaning it up and painting it then it will start looking like a bike!
                          Al Cournoyer
                          1942 WLA Boober
                          Member #23154

Comment

Nice work Alan. I see you have the tank trim installed. Where did you find your neck casting?
                            Len.
                            AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
                              Nice work Alan. I see you have the tank trim installed. Where did you find your neck casting?
                              Len.
                              Thanks Len, I tweaked the trim in and got it to stay on. I might tweak it a little more, I don't want it popping off when she finally runs although it may be enough when there is paint on the tank. I got it from a company in the Netherlands, cost a few samolians
                              Al Cournoyer
                              1942 WLA Boober
                              Member #23154

Comment

Working...
                              X