The 1916 Excelsior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric et al:
    I really enjoyed this thread including the detailed pictures and skills shown.
    Did you make you own linkage parts ??
    Do you rebuild your own motors ?
    thanks
    Dan

Comment

Dan, I was forced to make all of the linkage for that Excelsior. I have to say that I was very pleased with how it turned out, and despite the ridiculous amount of work, the linkage has no slop, or dead spots, hence it works like new. Again, I have to give a big thanks to Gene Harper for loaning me the linkage to copy. After I found all the original linkage, I had to decide on original, or the tight, smooth, and accurate reproduction. As for the motor, and transmission; I did all the bottom end fitting, and made new bushings, guides, etc. I can't do valve jobs, so I found a local speed shop that was glad to do it.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by AdvenJack View Post
        Sometimes the pictures in the threads on this forum seem almost alive...

What Jack said.
        I'm sitting here with cuppa in hand, lost in the marvelous finish of every part and how it compliments everything around it.
        Steve Little
        Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

Stunning, very nice project.

Comment

yup, really beautiful work you do, Eric. looking at the rear footboard mount..... is that a bracket or something that is attached to crankcase........? seems unlikely, but difficult to tell in picture.....!
            Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
            https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

That bike is sharp.....Ide get a tingle in my spine everytime i fired it up...

Comment

I sold that bike 2 weeks ago, and I'll spend the rest of my life regretting it. I put more work, and effort into that 1916 Excelsior than any bike I have ever owned, and I know I sold it too cheap. It broke my heart to sell it, but domestic harmony and common future goals were the incentive. In that respect, it was the right decision. I have known hard-core collectors, and nut-jobs that wouldn't sell a used gasket and their lives were miserable, selfish, and self centered. I don't want to be like that and I want to have a life that is only supplemented by my love of old motorcycles. People need to balance their selfish, materialistic side, with the greater goal of internal peace, and harmony. . . . Hi-awawa, huhu mama wah-wah, or some other hippy horseshit You know what I mean. '
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  I sold that bike 2 weeks ago, and I'll spend the rest of my life regretting it. I put more work, and effort into that 1916 Excelsior than any bike I have ever owned, and I know I sold it too cheap. It broke my heart to sell it, but domestic harmony and common future goals were the incentive. In that respect, it was the right decision. I have known hard-core collectors, and nut-jobs that wouldn't sell a used gasket and their lives were miserable, selfish, and self centered. I don't want to be like that and I want to have a life that is only supplemented by my love of old motorcycles. People need to balance their selfish, materialistic side, with the greater goal of internal peace, and harmony. . . . Hi-awawa, huhu mama wah-wah, or some other hippy horseshit You know what I mean. '
                  No, but I know it ain't all about you, Eric.

I hoard my used gaskets;
                  Not your problem.

....Cotten
                  Attached Files
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Oh i know what u mean, thier are plenty of selfish people , in the old car hobby too. With me family comes 1st, cars and bikes are way down on my list..As mr spock said (sometimes wanting is better than having)...brett

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                      No, but I know it ain't all about you, Eric.

I hoard my used gaskets;
                      Not your problem.

....Cotten

What a stupid, mean spirited comment; even for a jerk like you, Cotton. Of course it's about me, and my 1916 Excelsior because I started this thread in 2013 to document my restoration process. Brettxlch made a kind observation, which allowed me to segue into the conclusion of the Excelsior project, and explain why I sold the bike. Your dislike for me is seriously clouding your judgment. In the future, mind your own damn business, and stay on topic.

P.S. . . . . I better not say any more.
                      Last edited by exeric; 03-03-2019, 01:15 AM.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

What a stupid, mean spirited comment; even for a jerk like you, Cotton. Of course it's about me, and my 1916 Excelsior because I started this thread in 2013 to document my restoration process. Brettxlch made a kind observation, which allowed me to segue into the conclusion of the Excelsior project, and explain why I sold the bike. Your dislike for me is seriously clouding your judgment. In the future, mind your own damn business, and stay on topic.

P.S. . . . . I better not say any more.
                        Please guys were supposed to live in harmony!!!!

Comment

Eric, I just went thru this build again. It's even better on the second read. I keep seeing details in the pics I didn't notice before. great work.
                          I bet we would have better luck living in harmony than singing in harmony

Comment

I totally agree!!! It's like a fine wine, gets mellow with age. A shame You had to sell Eric, but maybe the advance project will pre-occupy your thoughts with new horizons. I surely hope You sold to someone who appreciated the effort, time, care & love you put into that 1916 Chi-Town Doll!!! Sometimes that offsets the price drop? Besides, it's all Karma Baby--no hippie sTuFf, just fact! Everything will work out for the best! You never stated which controls you used--old or new?
                            Take it easy Eric, & Good luck.

*M.A.D.*
                            Last edited by JoJo357; 03-03-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                              Eric, you didn't look hard enough. They are there, in a box under something. Move onto the next plateau and keep looking. They did not grow legs. Bob
                              I especially liked this scenario! Bob L. must have ESP!!! haha.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Sometimes i can't help wonder if this is some of our AMCA Members?

https://youtu.be/PZFoJiqmW2s >>>Vintage 1960's Anacin TV Commercial--YouTube.

*M.A.D.*
                                Last edited by JoJo357; 03-03-2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X