No announcement yet.

The 1916 Excelsior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These pictures show the progressive finish using the lambs wool, course, and fine foam bonnets with cutting, and glazing compounds.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Awesome work Eric! That is one sweet X!
      Al Cournoyer
      1942 WLA Boober
      1928 JDL Super Sport In progress
      Member #23154

Comment

Thanks Eric. I've been painting a long time and still love it. I always like to see how others are doing it especially when they get results like that! You're putting the pros to shame. Hope to see it in person someday. Dale

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          I've had a major set-back on the '16 X. Somehow I have lost all of the control parts from the handlebars, down to the frame head. That is a lot of parts, all weird, and complex. Needless to say, I have looked everywhere, and speculated on every possible scenario. In addition to being a huge loss, it has killed my enthusiasim for this project. I think the best thing for me to do is put the X in mothballs and wait until I can find a replacement set. . . And, a better frame of mind.
          Well, I have to do one more follow-up on the Good Old X. The above quote is from the end of September of last year. I took this house apart looking for those control parts. I came to the conclusion that I had left the parts in an old credenza that we put on the curb for anyone that wanted it. I even made up a large poster with pictures of the parts and put it in the front yard with a reward for anyone that returned the parts. . . . Nothing. The project moved on and with the help of Gene Harper, I was able to replace the missing control parts and finish the bike. Even though everything worked out, I have never gotten over the loss, or the thought that I could be so stupid as to give away all of that original stuff. Occasionally, I would still look in some out of the way place thinking I had overlooked them where the lawn mower is kept, or up in the attic. Well, yesterday I was going through a storage tub of Excelsior, and Harley J parts and discovered that I had put that tub inside the tub with the missing X parts. I felt like an Egyptologist, and a horse's ass at the same time.

Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric
            Glad to hear that you found the parts. I can't tell you how many times I've done the same thing. Sometimes I'm convinced that I'm loosing my mind.
            Any of those J parts still usable? Any of them for sale or trade?
            Let me know.
            BTW, did the rings work out?
            Mark
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Thanks Mark. I'm starting to put the motor for the '16 J together, so I'm rounding up the parts, and measuring tolerances. I believe the piston rings you supplied are going to work great and thank you so much for taking the trouble to find those for me. There should be some decent J parts left over and I will contact you after I shake it all out.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,
                25 years ago I worked for a guy who was originally from France and he happened to be a hoarder (unfortunately he hoarded things like rolled up wall to wall carpet, old park benches and non running outboard motors). Anyway, whenever we ended up moving a bunch of junk to squeeze in some more junk, and would unearth some lost treasure, he would exclaim, "Mon Dieu! I forgot I had that!" Being youngsters, my coworkers and I always laughed at him (you have to remember he was really old, like in his 50s).... Now I am constantly finding things that "I forgot I had"... oh the irony. Glad to hear you found your X parts!
                Mike Carver
                AMCA #3349

Comment

Thanks Mike. We're all getting older and I can accept that, I just don't want to go prematurely daffy
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Ahhh!! The ol tub in tub trick, and I bet it felt like Christmas when you found them. For me, the most infuriating thing is the waste of time looking for some small part that I know that I have.
                    Usually it is found 1/2 hour later, wrapped in paper behind a parts box.
                    Beautiful bike.
                    Steve Little
                    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                    Australia.
                    AMCA member 1950

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
                      Ahhh!! The ol tub in tub trick.
                      Quite funny Steve. I spend a ridiculous amount of time looking for tools, and parts in spite of making considerable efforts to organize this junk. I have a very smart friend who offered me this suggestion; take a mental photograph of tools, and parts so you will be able to deduce their location based on background scenery. . . . .Yeah, I know.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Great Thread! I will be at Silver Sands on Saturday and in Sarasota the last week of March and the first week of April. Maybe we could pull up a couple of chairs and have a beer while admiring the 16.

Comment

I've been in awe with your work since I first laid eyes on a photo of one of your Hendersons. It's nice to see how you go about doing things too. Top notch work! That muffler is pretty awesome! I knew you would find those parts....
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

If you knew that Cory, why didn't you tell me where they were at I was really thinking my mind was going. I just couldn't believe I would leave all those parts in a cadenza without looking in the drawers. Well, that had a happy ending, but since then, I've lost lots of other stuff.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Pictures That "Speak"!!!

Sometimes the pictures in the threads on this forum seem almost alive...

Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X