Condenser Application for 48

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condenser Application for 48

Anyone know if the condenser is specific to a 6 volt 48 Chief or if any condenser can be used designed for ignition points 12 volt or 6 volt? Bought a new one from JGE a month ago trying to be proactive and it succeded in giving me my first breakdown on the highway last Saturday. Put the old one back on that looks like its 50 y/o old but would like to get a new one for a spare in a reputable brand if they happen to be generic application. Not sure what brand JG uses but I don't want any more of those. Hoping I can just pick one up at NAPA or ?
    Thanks
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

On my '48 Chief, I originally restored it with the 6v system. I ride it a bit and after rethinking changed over to a 12v system. Used the same condenser for both setups and it works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie63 View Post
      On my '48 Chief, I originally restored it with the 6v system. I ride it a bit and after rethinking changed over to a 12v system. Used the same condenser for both setups and it works just fine.
      I always thought points and condenser were indiscriminate. I run 12-v, and even with a coil that says "internal resistor, no external resistor required", some say that an external resistor is still a good idea. Are points for 6-v made any differently than 12-v? how about the condenser?
      I'm interested in the comments. ..... has this been in the electrical thread?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I searched the electrical forum and found a post where another individual converted from 6 to 12 on an HD and used the same condenser with success so we can safely say it doesn't matter at least short term. If we had the micro-farad specification between 6 and 12 volt condensers we'd know for sure but I can't find that either. One guy told me while they both may work, if the micro-farad spec isn't specific to the application, it could lead to premature pitting/failure of the points but again he wasn't 100% sure. My NAPA store called the hotline and the guy on the other end seemed to think they were the same but again, wasn't he 100% sure and couldn't explain from a technical standpoint. In the mean time I found a cross reference sheet for the Chief that listed a NAPA RR174 condenser as the correct one so thats what I'll get for now. I'm probably overthinking this but being new I hate to "assume" anything.
        Also wanted to note the failed condenser came from Starklite, not JGE as I previously mentioned.
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Note that the condenser used by H-D starting in '48 was used right up until the advent of electronic ignition, whether 6V or 12V with no difference. They are not voltage specific.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

They all use a .22 mfd specification. NAPA #FA66 will work just fine.

Comment

Would this be the same condenser for a 6V 1940 sport scout?
              Bob Selph
              1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
              1940 Sport Scout
              AMCA#15215

Comment

Originally posted by bselph View Post
                Would this be the same condenser for a 6V 1940 sport scout?
                Yep, it will fit, and work well, although may not be 100% "correct" due to being a separate attaching clip instead of soldered on, terminal end is slightly different, but cheap and easy... and it keeps you on the road ... be careful not to use too long a screw to attach, as it can puncture the paper insulator behind points spring...

Comment

Working...
                X