Indian Sidecar Brake Equalizer - 40's Indian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Sidecar Brake Equalizer - 40's Indian

I've seen the brake equalizer in pics, and roughly understand what it is supposed to do. Was the equalizer optional for hooking up the sidecar brake to the control (was it just supposed to make it better?), or was it the only intended way to hook up the sidecar brake to the control?

Thanks.
    - Dana

Without an equalizer (or hydraulics) your sidecar and rear brakes will be almost impossible to adjust and to keep even. Something will start pulling.

Can a bike be ridden w.out an equalizer? Most certainly. But it will make it stop much better (and will be much safer) by equalizing the force on the brake shoes. If I had a choice of bike w. equalizer or not... I would fit an equalizer w.out hesitating a second.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I've never heard of a sidecar brake equalizer for an Indian. What year was it offered? I was looking at the 1940 parts book and they list all of the components for a standard mechanical sidecar brake.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Not sure what Indian did, but my '44 UL H-D with factory sidecar the mechanical brake is just adjusted to come on slightly after the main bike one and works very well that way and has for the last 35 years I have been riding it.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          I've never heard of a sidecar brake equalizer for an Indian. What year was it offered? I was looking at the 1940 parts book and they list all of the components for a standard mechanical sidecar brake.
          How about a pic or two?
          Mine required adjustments depending on the cargo. Cargo is a given with sidecars. I once hauled a 300# guy on top of the usual "first aid kit" plus all the jackets and effects that the solo riders didn't want slowing them down. ... and of course I was hassled for not keeping up when they got thirsty! Then too, we were in "The Hills". It wasn't like Durango, but it was close.
          Then when empty, I had to adjust for less braking on the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            How about a pic or two?
            Mine required adjustments depending on the cargo. Cargo is a given with sidecars. I once hauled a 300# guy on top of the usual "first aid kit" plus all the jackets and effects that the solo riders didn't want slowing them down. ... and of course I was hassled for not keeping up when they got thirsty! Then too, we were in "The Hills". It wasn't like Durango, but it was close.

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
              How about a pic or two?
              Mechanical will always need adjusting with a load in the sidecar, and honestly adjustment of the bike and sidecar should be considered to. When you are coming to a stop and the bikes rear brakes come on, with a delay on the sidecar wheel it is still free untill the brakes engage on the hack to slow it down. The more weight in the car the more free force you have trying to come around you and when braking this can be intresting at times, some times just very slightly turning the handle bars to the right towards the sidecar will also help in stoping you when loaded. You can also run a sidecar with out brakes doing the same thing although brakes on the hack would be more helpful.
              My modern bike a 01 roadglide with california double wide sidecar has the front and sidecar brakes both hooked up together for a more even stop.
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...
              X