Indian Dealer Airmail Envelope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Dealer Airmail Envelope

Wasn't sure exactly where to put this... so just picked Old Photos...

I was given this today by the widow of a friend who lives near Springfield, ma. I am helping her sort out some old car parts and a car her late husband restored. She knew I liked old bikes and brought this up. Apparently, it's from a stamp collection, not a bike collection. So if any of you are into stamps... maybe it's interesting.

But I love the bike images and love old advertising envelopes. This is clearly a promotion in which the envelopes were carried to dealers by bikes... then flown via airmail before the rates went up. It says 388 letters were carried and sent via airmail, probably as part of a promotion. Note that the Indian Agency is in Wisconsin... HD country.

Has anyone ever seen one like this? I just think it's wonderful and a great memento of my late friend.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Came across this for another one... serial number 278. "Nice example of the famous Indian motorcycle cover (envelope) with front and rear cachets. The cover has a return address of the Indian Cycle Agency, Clintonville, Wisconsin and is addressed to the Indian Motorcycle Co. of Springfield, Massachusetts. Front and back both carry an ink stamp reading "Last Day/Air Mail/Of 10c Rate." Front has a Lindbergh airmail stamp postmarked in Greenbay, Wisconsin, on 31 July 1928. The envelope has serial number A278. The reverse of the envelope has text stating "This Letter Was Carried by Indian Motorcycle With Side Car, From Milwaukee To Green Bay, Via Oshkosh By Henry O. Meisel, Accompanied by Joe Campbell of Milwaukee, On Tuesday, Julty 31st, 1928 / Total of 388 Souvenir Air Mail Letters Were Carried On This Trip." Reverse also has a Chicago July 31st air mail postmark and text that reads "due To Delays Before Start From Milwaukee Connections Were Missed For Airplane Service On July 31st." Light wear. Meisel was the owner of the Clintonville dealership and a leading philatelist of the time."

So the Indian dealer... was a stamp collector. Interesting. You never think of dealers having hobbies... outside of motorcycles.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

You never think of dealers having hobbies... outside of motorcycles.
      Most modern ones have a hobby...collecting money. I try not to help out.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Indian dealer airmail envelope

I have a similar postcard but it is series "B". I also have the envelope. Tom #381
        Attached Files

Comment

Neat stuff! I like the Air Mail from Oshkosh WI as that is the home of the EAA now. (Experimental Aircraft Association).
          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
          X