Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Chief in the Stable

Morning all,
    New member here and thanks to Sargehere for the invite. I am thrilled beyond words for the circumstances that brought me to this great group of antique motorcycle enthusiasts.

Just briefly some background. My Uncle Bernie was the lead mechanic for an Indian dealership on the Florida Panhandle. He bought this bike and assembled it himself. He used to take me on rides when I was around 6-7 years old; terrifying and thrilling me all at the same time! It was those rides that sparked a lifelong passion for motorcycles. I can remember seeing the bike, gleaming in the dimly lit garage.

When my Uncle died, probably 30+ years ago, this bike was the most contested item in his estate. He had 4 children and the oldest ended up with the machine. But it was passed around like a hot potato for years; with its final destination in the garage of his youngest daughter. I was unaware of any of this until I got together with his youngest son, my cousin Jim, at my mom's funeral last year. I mentioned the bike and my curiosity of its condition and whereabouts. Needless to say I was a bit distressed to hear about its status. So, in an offhand way, and realizing that my mom's funeral was not the place to be talking about it, I mentioned to Jim that I would love to have the opportunity to save this vintage machine from just wasting away into a pile of rust. I got his phone/email and sent a couple of messages with no reply. Until last Friday.

I received an email with a ton of pictures of the Chief. And Jim said he had talked to the family and they had decided to give me the opportunity to acquire it! To say I was thrilled would be a gross understatement. I immediately made plans to travel to North Alabama to see Uncle Bernie's pride and joy.

This past Tuesday my wife and I drove up and I went over the machine pretty good. To a novice's eye the bike looked much better in person than it did in the photos. Even the original Bill of Sale, for the grand total of $754, is there. Title is clear. Engine and Frame numbers match. The corrosion is superficial. The motor turned over. Primary fuel tank is very clean but the reserve needs some treatment for rust. All in all I was very ecstatic to see this old machine again.

No other mechanic, other than my Uncle and his oldest son, has touched this bike in almost 70 years. It's never been outside the possession of the family either. After some serious discussion we arrived at a price and she is now my 1947 Indian Chief!

I do not intend to make her into a showroom worthy machine. To me, the patina of age gives her character and dignity. My intentions are to make this a running and driveable machine with the look of dignified lady of almost 70 years of age.

And that brings me to you folks, the experts. My work schedule will not allow me to transport the bike to my garage until early December. But no worries, she's in a climate controlled atmosphere and safe. I will be in Brazil working until early December. During that time I would like to have as much material as possible to pour over in order to educate myself on the bike.

So, I'm asking if any of you good people know where I can get my hands on some literature that would serve such a purpose? The Rider's Guide maybe? A parts catalog? A reasonably priced edition of Hatfield's restoration manual? Anything that I can take with me to Brazil that will occupy my time for the next 3 months. Any guidance and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and your opinions on her condition as you view the photos will be priceless.

Thanks!
    indian3.jpg indian4.jpg indian6.jpg indian7.jpg indian8.jpg
    Mark

1947 Indian Chief
    1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
    1998 Honda Valkyrie

Sorry but I can't figure out how to post full size pics....but here are some more...
    indian9.jpgindian12.jpgphoto (11).jpgphoto (13).jpgphoto (15).jpg
    Mark

1947 Indian Chief
    1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Start by giving it an external cleaning... don't restore a thing yet!

If it has not run for years, pulling off heads and jugs and freeing up the rings will be time well spent. Carb cleanout/rebuild will be a must. Easy home job. Blow out the exhaust to make sure no rodents are in there. Or snakes... Tanks may benefit from an internal cleaning... if it had old gas when put away. Fluids flushes/changes... new tires... lube everything. Check that wiring is safe (ie. not cracking) and rewire if needed. Get some Rejuvenator oil/leatherique on the seat and rub it in for a few weeks to soften that up. And you will probably be off and running. That bike, most likely, will take a few weekends of tinkering and 99 percent of that will be cleaning and elbow grease.

It's a gorgeous, amazing machine. Welcome aboard. I think everyone on this site would be proud to own that bike. The paperwork and family connection only makes it that much better!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Mark, good find! Lots of cool period trim accessories!

Don't know if you travel with a computer or other tether to the outside world, but now that you're a member of AMCA the library offers free PDF downloads of various documents that you can download and bring along. Rider's Manual and Repair and Overhaul Manual are both in there... and there are some others in there that might interest you, too, a valuable "perk" for being a member!

Sirhr's "recipe" above for rehabilitation is spot on! Good luck!
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks Sihr and Pisten....excellent info and yes I have my laptop with me on the boat. The vessel has wireless while offshore and I have my own dedicated personal wireless when we're in port. Fantastic perks for sure. I'll be downloading and taking the docs to Office Depot for printing. I'm very grateful for the advice and guidance.
          Mark
          Mark

1947 Indian Chief
          1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

I did forget to mention in all my excitement that the bike has the Bonneville Cams; designated by the "B" on the engine case serial number.
            Mark

1947 Indian Chief
            1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Mark,
              Welcome to the AMCA forum. Check the chapter listing to see if there is an AMCA chapter close to you.
              http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/ind...pter-directory
              I think the Sunshine chapter might be closest
              http://www.sunshineamca.org/

When I got my 48 last year as an Indian newbie I was very fortunate to meet local chapter members who graciously helped guide me through the acclimation process as well the members here on the forum. Sometimes there is no substitute for talking face to face to those who have been there and done that. Contact the chapter and and see if there is an Indian nut close by to hook up with. It seems only a small percentage of members are active on the forum.
              Jason Zerbini
              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Battery.... you're going to need one more than likely! Greer's has the appropriate reproduction shell so you can put a new battery inside, but if there's an original one that comes with it... don't throw it away! There are folks who will hollow out an original shell and use that, or even... maybe... rehab it!

BTW, with only a "B" after the engine number that signifies it was built with battery ignition. I believe a Bonneville motor will have a "BM" stamp and also a stamp on the carburetor... nevertheless, when you pull the heads you'll find out for sure!
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Congratulations on the new baby Mark! We will expect progress updates, photos and videos of course!
                  Bob
                  '' The hurrier I go, the behinder I get ''

Comment

Apologize...the "B" does not designate Bonneville Cams...it's "BM" . Sorry.
                    Mark

1947 Indian Chief
                    1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Welcome to "the Rusty Side," Mark! Glad you found us. Great bunch, here.
                      Only thing I notice that the bike is missing outright is the tin generator belt cover; unless it's in what came with the Chief.
                      Welcome to the rest of your life. It's a terminal disease; it really is. There's no cure, and the only treatment is more of the same! You'll soon be hooked up to a 50wt oil IV drip. It's good that you havee an understanding life mate. God bless her, and have a safe trip to South America. Welcome!
                      Gerry Lyons #607
                      http://www.37ul.com/
                      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                        Welcome to "the Rusty Side," Mark! Glad you found us. Great bunch, here.
                        Only thing I notice that the bike is missing outright is the tin generator belt cover; unless it's in what came with the Chief.
                        Welcome to the rest of your life. It's a terminal disease; it really is. There's no cure, and the only treatment is more of the same! You'll soon be hooked up to a 50wt oil IV drip. It's good that you havee an understanding life mate. God bless her, and have a safe trip to South America. Welcome!
                        Thanks Sarge. The generator cover is there. We found it while I was going over the bike Tuesday. I've spent most of the day ordering literature and downloading the .pdf's from the site and getting them printed out. Give me some serious reading material while I'm on the boat. And you are correct, the woman in my life, Ruth, has been supportive of my efforts since the beginning. She knows that while I'm tinkering with these bikes I'm staying out of trouble! LOL...BTW...the saddlebags are there also. I was prepared to see them all rotten and useless, but pleasantly surprised that they are in remarkably good shape and appear to only need some good conditioning to make them smooth and supple again. It's not a good image, but here they are...
                        indian_bags.jpg
                        Mark

1947 Indian Chief
                        1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Name the bike after your uncle, and dedicate its future to his memorial. He lit the fire in you. The bike was his fire. That history is priceless. Don't let money spoil it in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                            Name the bike after your uncle, and dedicate its future to his memorial. He lit the fire in you. The bike was his fire. That history is priceless. Don't let money spoil it in any way.
                            I agree entirely. Without sounding all gooey...after we struck the deal Tuesday I stepped out of the house to call one of the members that has provided some critical guidance on this machine. While outside I did get a little weepy in the eyes thinking about what had just occurred. To me, her journey to find a permanent home has ended. She will forever remain in our family. And I am convinced that Uncle Bernie would be proud!
                            Mark

1947 Indian Chief
                            1998 Honda Valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by Xtracho View Post
                              I agree entirely. Without sounding all gooey...after we struck the deal Tuesday I stepped out of the house to call one of the members that has provided some critical guidance on this machine. While outside I did get a little weepy in the eyes thinking about what had just occurred. To me, her journey to find a permanent home has ended. She will forever remain in our family. And I am convinced that Uncle Bernie would be proud!
                              I truly understand exactly what you are going through as I became the caretaker of my great-uncles bike almost 20 years ago. Leave it as is but keep it running and ride the wheels off of it like there is no tomorrow. When your family see's that you ride it that much they will know they made the right decision. Oh, and don't forget to ride "Bernie" to a few family functions as you may find a relative that has pictures or something that belongs with the bike. Congrats and good luck!
                              20scout

Comment

Working...
                              X