WLA Lubrication.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLA Lubrication.

I am working on a 44 WLA and need some assistance on what weight oil should I use in the engine, primary and transmission. Does the primary and transmission share the same oil. I have a manual that tells me the capacities but did not see any other information. Thank you in advance. Mark.

wla lubes

Originally posted by Mark Jennings View Post
    I am working on a 44 WLA and need some assistance on what weight oil should I use in the engine, primary and transmission. Does the primary and transmission share the same oil. I have a manual that tells me the capacities but did not see any other information. Thank you in advance. Mark.
    hi mark we have a wla and have owned many wl s we use 20 50 modern mc 4 cycle oil , in transmission we use 80 90 wt gear oil for engine 50 wt will also work in primary there is a dripper from the oil pump . should be a small oil stain after it has run a bit under primary this is good as the primary chain case is not liquid tight if the oil looks rusty this is not good check out primary chain as a failure is not good could pile up chain and cause all kinds of mayhem. wla,s are very reliable tough as can be very rideable lots of parts and info around good luck with yours paul g bergeron minot maine 7989

Comment

I think Paul was meaning you don't put oil in the primary case, the oil pump is adjustable to regulate how much oil drips on the primary chain. Pull the chain inspection cover and after running for about a minute or less oil should start to drip onto the chain. Multi vicous(spell ck) oil may be fine but I've never tried it.
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Originally posted by kg993 View Post
        I think Paul was meaning you don't put oil in the primary case, the oil pump is adjustable to regulate how much oil drips on the primary chain. Pull the chain inspection cover and after running for about a minute or less oil should start to drip onto the chain. Multi vicous(spell ck) oil may be fine but I've never tried it.
        I have a WLC and I wonder which screw regulate how much oil drips on the primary chain.

Thank you very much!
        Bob
        '' The hurrier I go, the behinder I get ''

Comment

50w motor and trans...60w motor during the hot months..Kendall or Valvoline racing oil seems quieter than HD oil...If you ride at 20deg F or below use 40w or 20/50...throttle/spark may get stiff at low temps

Comment

Originally posted by bob43wlc View Post
            I have a WLC and I wonder which screw regulate how much oil drips on the primary chain.

Thank you very much!
            Bob, You should have what looks like a small Fillister-head screw on the side of your return oil pump cover (old PN. 682-38), on the bottom right side of your engine, almost behind the exhaust pipe, with a pipe to the rear chain, and it has very thin washers under the head. Removed, you see that it's actually a needle valve, and adding or removing the shim washers regulates the oil drip on the rear chain. It's all in your WL or WLA service manuals.

Wait: that's listed as a Servi-car part. It's still the way to automatically oil your rear chain. Just take a little hunting. Anyway, the primary chain oiler is an identical needle valve on the feed pump cover (PN 678-41).
            Last edited by Sargehere; 06-11-2013, 02:16 PM.
            Gerry Lyons #607
            http://www.37ul.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thank you Sarge!

I'll check this out tonite!
              Bob
              '' The hurrier I go, the behinder I get ''

Comment

The more I think about it with my old brain, I think the primary chain oiler needle valve (PN 672-32) is actually on the cam cover itself. Rear chain oiler, if it has one, on the return pump.
                Last edited by Sargehere; 06-11-2013, 03:08 PM.
                Gerry Lyons #607
                http://www.37ul.com/
                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Working...
                X