Help ID'ing some bikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ID'ing some bikes.

These bike pictures come from the Vermont State Police Archives.

In 1937, before there were VSP, the VT DMV had motorcycle riders. They are believed to have been 1937 Indians. Bought by individual officers, not the state. Officers would be reimbursed, as was common practice at the time. There was no specific livery that we knew of... probably ordered in... black and white? Green and Yellow? Any clues? The photos look like standard late '30s Indian two-tone paint schemes. But???

The close-up picture is DMV officer James Malloy. The others are unknown.

Ok guys... what do these pictures tell you? Chiefs? Sport Scouts? Years? Details? One has a pretty cool speedomoter indicating it is earlier than 1937/8? Didn't they have integral speedos by '37? Thanks and the VSP archive thanks you... and I thank you. I am debating doing the paint on my '38 Chief in the Vermont State DMV color pattern. There is not a single VSP/VTDMV MC in existance... but someone claims to have found parts of one in a barn. Unverified.

Any help much appreciated... Love the last pictures. Kids love motorcycles just as much in 1937 as today. And I'd give the DMV officer a ticket for a bald tire. But... 1937 in VT was really bad Depression still. Noone had money for tires, did they?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sihr, they're 37 Chiefs.
    The speedo's were as shown (exposed) thru 37.
    According to Sucher in Iron Redskin, new in 38 were the speedo in the aluminum nacalle, and pinstriping of the fenders and tanks. Not sure how much further the pinstriping went.

qu: " One has a pretty cool speedomoter " ... sihr, where, what? I missed it. Did you post more than 3 pix?

Comment

Love that last photo - to cool! thanks for posting.

Comment

I'd hazard a guess that the bike in the first photo may be a circa 1927 Chief. Whaddya think Phil?
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I'd say the first picture is of a 28 Chief. Note front wheel brake (mid 28 introduction) and the small headlight, 28 only.

Gene

Comment

It looks like I missed a few details. Thanks for the clarification Gene.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Have you tried asking Doug Frederick at the National Police Motorcycle Museum in NH? He has plenty of contacts in your area, and a great museum too.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                I'd hazard a guess that the bike in the first photo may be a circa 1927 Chief. Whaddya think Phil?
                Cory and Gene, yeah 28, but I have to say that my pic is so dark it almost hurts to look at it, straining so hard. But yeah, the fenders are late 20-ish, not late 30-ish. .. small headlight, ah-so! .. we been schooled, Cory.
                Now, did you guys get more than 3 pix?

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                  Cory and Gene, yeah 28, but I have to say that my pic is so dark it almost hurts to look at it, straining so hard. But yeah, the fenders are late 20-ish, not late 30-ish. .. small headlight, ah-so! .. we been schooled, Cory.
                  Now, did you guys get more than 3 pix?
                  and the really flat heads! Remove-able heads started in 27, correct? C'mon, bust me!
                  ..actually, I think Sirh set us up, suggested 37's. I'll never trust him again!

Comment

First... there are only 3 pictures, not 4. The speedometer was on the close-up... and it's not especially cool (I have the same setup on my JD and my DL)... but it's interesting for being on such a late bike.

The '37 ID's came from the VSP archive which I have been helping. And that one picture is so dark that other than the color of the bike (clearly not two-tone paintjob) I could not tell much. Give me a minute and I'll try and wash that photo through some software...

Noone set up... I'm as clueless on any of these early Indians as anyone. New to the Iron Redskin, remember?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

See if these help.

I am intrigued by the seat setup(s). One has a clear backrest. I've seen those before in pictures... clearly an accessory seat for someone who spent a lot of time on a bike. But what about the back seat? Moonlighting with the wife on the bike? If it was a POV and he was reimbursed, I could see the second seat... but unusual to see on a police bike.

Also note large (car-sized) plate on the front fender. No L.E. License plates in VT at that time. So putting the police plate on the fender made sense? Or is a placard that says "Police?"

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Steve, I have tried to contact the PMM... but their Web site is acting up, so no e-mail is available. We're going down for the Vintage Races in a few weeks, so will stop by then and see what we can find.

Cheers,

Sirhr
                      Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 05-16-2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X