kicker cover question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kicker cover question

last year I is found a 1974? sporty sitting for 15 years in a tenement in the Bronx got it real cheap anyway i am putting a kicker on it so i got the kit from v twin everything went together but the cover, turnsout it needed a 77 cover so i got another cover after kicking 10 or 20 times the cover cracked, now at the bottom there is a dowel on trans case that the cover is not aligning with i suspect that's why the cover cracked the original cover does not line up either, the dowel hole is not threaded but it does hold the rear brake cable bracket not sure if the cover has to line up any help

74 was the last year with right side shift. 75 and 76 used the older brake rod shaft to get the shifter to the left and 77 was new with the shifter coming straight from the primary cover. The motor # should end in H7 for 1977.
    I don't understand why both dowels aren't aligning with the covers unless the case may of been welded and the dowel holes re-drilled. Or did the "elect. start only" not have them like the kick version. Reguardless the cover needs 2 dowels and good bolt threads to hold the cover in place.
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

If you have a rear brake cable, you have a 76 or later XL. 75 & 76 use the same sprocket cover, brake cable, pedals, etc. 77 & 78 ditto.
      VPH-D

Comment

the vin # end in h4 and it has a cable going to the rear brake and the shifter comes out of trans case on left side I was surprised to see the shift and brake set up, when I had the clutch drum off the casting # on the engine case ended with a 75 i'm thinking it is a late 74 and hd had no 74's left so they used the new 75 and tagged it a 74 I like it I could be wrong?

Comment

Does the motor VIN read H4 also, because there is no bolt on application for a shift shaft exiting the primary cover before 1977. It could be done with some machine work and welding on the earlier primary cover, and some internal changes.
          Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

It would seem that you have a 77 or later XL [brake cable, shifter thru primary cover.] IIRC, there was no boss on the right case to support the rear brake pedal assy prior to 77. Where are the rider pegs located, on the frame, or on the engine?
            VPH-D

Comment

ok so a full resto is out of the question but what year is it the vin # end in h4 so its registerd as a 74 did someone put it together this way?i will try to post some pic
              Attached Files

Comment

No doubt now, that is a 77 or newer motor. Hate to say it but that H4 should not be on the motor. I do like the SU though.
                Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

The chisel marks located at 2 o'clock from the sprocket shaft are obscuring the original line bore numbers.
                  VPH-D

Comment

is it possible that they used 74 case and changed trans and why is that casting number end in 75 the vin does not look allterd ,but I check the parts book and the early case had no drain under the primary the later did mine does,ealo well I got a mut in the stable ,anyway I went to dmv today so I got a shieny new plate on it so its time to ride. pat
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X