Help identifying old Brit Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying old Brit Bike

A client of ours is working on buying himself an early Triumph (11 I believe) and sent me this photo of his great Uncles. Here is the info:

The older boy is my Great Uncle Godfrey Cathar ("Gop") O'Donnell, a wonderful man who was a serious mentor for me in many ways as I embarked on my early career. He was born in the 1890's and he flew a Sopwith Pup in Egypt and elsewhere in WW1. I was told he lied about his age to enlist in the RFC which is all the more remarkable since he was a Dublin-based Irish Catholic. After the war he persisted in the newly formed RAF where he remained through WW2. He was treated quite shabbily, held down to Wing Commander probably due to his Irish origin; but having been refused combat in WW2 because of his age, he was made commandant of RAF Booker and he trained all the glider pilots ( USAF and RAF)who flew in the Normandy Invasion. After retiring he stayed in the local area of Booker and became Mayor of the ancient city of Marlowe (immortalised as the homeplace of the father of Fly Fishing, Izaac Walton, the Compleat Angler).

Here is a picture of the bike:

If thumbnail does not appear, Link to Photobucket:

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...ps065c35d5.png

What is it? What year? Any info or details?

If I were to guess, I would possibly say FN? Or maybe an early Rudge? But what say you guys?

Thanks and cheers

Sirhr

Definately FN
    1905 was the first year of the sprung front forks so its 1904 or earlier
    1902 had the motor mounted high in the frame so its not 1902
    1903 was 188c.c. 74x57
    1904 was 300c.c. 80x70
    03 had the oil tank as part of the petrol tank whereas 04 had an oil tank mounted on the seat tube between the rear mudguard and the seat tube.
    The riders are hiding this feature so its a bit of a guess as to whether its 1904 or 1905.
    The photo is good enough to make out the FN logo cast into the bottom of the cast iron crankcases
    I've got several pre 1919 FN's so I've done a fair bit of research on them but I can always learn so if someone disagrees please speak up.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I should have said its BELGIAN not BRITISH
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thanks Tommo... Yes, my headline should have left out the 'brit' part. But as it was in Ireland... I figured there was a better-than-average chance that the machine was from the Isles.

I will pass this on to John. He will be delighted!

Thanks so much.

BTW, my SWAG at FN was a REAL swag. I only remember that until recently there was an incomplete one for sale on prewar.com and the tank is very distinctive. It looked the same. But I had no idea when I guessed FN.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
        X