52 to 54 K Model Tail Lamp and 52 to 54 fender struts I need knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 to 54 K Model Tail Lamp and 52 to 54 fender struts I need knowledge

Hey guys I've been busy doing restoration work and have not been on website for a few weeks. I need help dong a early K taillight correctly. I need to know how a couple of pieces of the assembly came out of the factory. First is the bracket that has two bolts thru it to hold it to the fender. Was it parkerized, or painted gloss or flat black or painted the same color as bike. Next is the bracket that bolts to the licence plate bracket with two screws and is bolted to the light with two screws. Next is the ring of metal around the round glass lens. and then was the chrome on the light tripple chrome or more of an industrial chrome plate. And were all the screws parkerized. I restore assembly's and then sell them. I do it cause I love to. I try to make a few bucks but I lose money a lot of the time. This assembly includes fender struts,fender, and tail lamp . The reason I mention this is I found two fender struts with no chromeat all on them. Was this common, or is this unusual . Thanks I have a KHK but it's a 55 and has the later tail light. FNA

Here is a pic of a 53 I did. I think I did enough research and looked at plenty of pictures for it to be correct. It is the first one I did and it never went through any judging if this helps you. The tail lamp is repro, but not much else that I can remember. According to a stock pic I had the hardware looks parkerized. Maybe and expert can chime in.

Last edited by murph; 01-19-2013, 06:26 AM.
    1959 XLCH

Comment

52 to 53 tail light and fender strut information needed

That looks like a nice job for your first attempt. But I know how the repos are done I've had one apart but I got a stock one that has been painted and I need to know how it came from the factory. Also on the repo the chrome looks like tripple chrome with a high polish. On some of the older stuff they had a more of an industrial chrome plating that didn't have such a high shine to it . It served two purposes to protect from rust and to look pretty. Any way those were the questions I was looking for answers to also I wanted to know if any original struts were painted instead of chromed. Thanks for the pictures though. I really enjoyed them and will add them to my collection. You did a nice job. Do you have the stock key switches and covers. I couldn't see from those pictures . Thanks FNA

Comment

52 to 54 taillight

One more thing could you take a close up side view of tail light and license frame? On the original light I have there is a small piece of bent sheet metal bracket that connects tail light to license bracket. I don't see it in the views odour sent of your pictures. Thanks FNA
        Last edited by Sidehacker; 01-24-2013, 12:35 AM.

Comment

These are the only tail light pics I have, the bike went home to its owner. I see it from time to time I'll try to get a pic with my phone next time. It has the original key switches as you asked. Here is a shot when it came in the door as well, but it had a different tail light.

1959 XLCH

Comment

Jeez,
            I hope the guy riding the CH in your picture and newspaper clipping was OK.
            VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
              Jeez,
              I hope the guy riding the CH in your picture and newspaper clipping was OK.
              VPH-D
              He did actually, It happened in 1970.
              1959 XLCH

Comment

'55 should also have that light, the -55 part number light did not appear on the K until '56.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                X