No announcement yet.

1908 ??? Thor motor and carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just back from my holiday and was hoping there was a THOR serial number expert surfacing over the holidays.
    Ross

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
      Not to make the wondering worse but it appears as though this engine starts with an 8 and has a distinct stamped dot behind it as well. Bummer it doesn't have a year.

http://classicmoto-cycles.blogspot.ca/2011/12/thor.html
      Maybe you have already seen this, but here is a closeup of the engine from that blog post.
      (click image)
      thor.JPG
      follow my restoration on http://flattwinsport.wordpress.com

Comment

Interesting Martin. Thanks for posting. I noticed that the engine had a schebler carb and not the Thor carb. The mystery still to me is when a letter is used on some serial numbers and why? Also like on my engine some have a number followed by a dot and then presumeably the 4 digit production number. HHHMMMMM
        Ross

Comment

Hello,
          I'm not sure if this will help, or make things worse.....but I have an original 1913 Thor sales brochure, and it has a picture of the single motor, and the S/N on it is U 4 with no dot or punch mark between them.
          Runnlo

Comment

Originally posted by MartinK View Post
            Maybe you have already seen this, but here is a closeup of the engine from that blog post.
            (click image)
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]10244[/ATTACH]
            Thanks for the re-size Martin! It shows my eyes were off and it definitely is not an 8!

Originally posted by Runnlo View Post
            Hello,
            I'm not sure if this will help, or make things worse.....but I have an original 1913 Thor sales brochure, and it has a picture of the single motor, and the S/N on it is U 4 with no dot or punch mark between them.
            Runnlo
            At this point not much can make it worse Runnlo.... the brochure you are referring to should show a different cylinder than Ross' engine.

Originally posted by Ross View Post
            Interesting Martin. Thanks for posting. I noticed that the engine had a schebler carb and not the Thor carb. The mystery still to me is when a letter is used on some serial numbers and why? Also like on my engine some have a number followed by a dot and then presumeably the 4 digit production number. HHHMMMMM
            I'm still hunting Ross and asking folks that may know. I just thought of another fella that may have info and will follow up this evening. The THOR experts are rather scarce in these parts it seems....
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I noticed that the cool Thor engine with the schebler carb did not sell yesterday at the Bonham's Vegas auction.
              Ross

Comment

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/2046...3D21%26r1%3D10 I think they took a stab in the dark putting a date on it. C. (circa) is a pretty handy term I think.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

just ran across a thor single motor with the 'tag' style casting with a BM 8.6xxx.
                  the BM is smaller than the numbers - will post pics when I get more of them

any help identifying age ???

thor motor.jpg
                  1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                  1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                  1940 indian chief military
                  1965 sportster xlch
                  1969 sportster xlch bobber
                  1971 bsa A65 chopper
                  1969 harley ss350 sprint
                  1960 harley topper
                  1963 harley topper
                  H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                  H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                  1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                  1959 harley model 165
                  1960 harley super 10
                  1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                  EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

has anyone been able to decipher the numbers/letters for our thors?

heres mine,its a belt drive no reduction gear housing that i date 10/11.....but im only going off of pictures

IMG_1522.jpg

Comment

Hello

I’m looking for a 1905-1906 Thor engine
                      Or have any parts of one
                      Let me know please
                      Also need any parts for a 1905 R-S
                      All I have is a frame
                      Cheers
                      Last edited by Garth340; 09-23-2019, 10:44 PM.

Comment

I have Thor single K.1461. I thought it to be 1908.
                        DrSprocket

Comment

I sent you a private message

Comment

What I thought to be an '08 model is in fact I believe to be a 1911 model K. When Thor stopped supplying Indian motors in 1910 and Indian started making their own motors the Thor upper end went to a beehive style cylinder instead of the four long bolt tall cylinder style. Mine is stamped with a K before it's four numbers and has the updated barrel. I know this barrel was made for the Minneapolis in 1910 by Thor but didn't show up on a Thor bike till 1911 as the model K. Check Steve Wright's book. I hope this makes since.
                            DrSprocket

Comment

Thor single 1912

My single Thor I assume 1912
                              same number on crankcase and carburettor

keesSingle (2).jpg
                              Attached Files

Comment

And number on a 1908 Twin(also valves 10-08!)F twin.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X