Non-AMCA local antique motorcycle clubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-AMCA local antique motorcycle clubs

When we started "Vintage Iron Riders" in Central Illinois, we considered seeking recognition as an AMCA chapter. Because not all our members were willing to pay AMCA dues, we elected to remain a local independent club. Our club has had a few bumps in its development, but it seems to be doing very well and is attracting new members and growing in size. Check out: www.virmc.com.

My questions are:
    1. What other local antique clubs are out there?
    2. Any suggestions on how AMCA might interact productively with these clubs? AMA's approach might work here.

The way I see it, both AMCA and local clubs are good for preserving and enjoying antique motorcycles. Together, these clubs might do even more.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Judging from the pictures of your Christmas parties it looks like you have a good number of members and a great variety of makes of motorcycles. Looks like a fun group of people also.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Hello Mr. Tinkham,

Thank you for the post, and for the link.

Take care,

Steve Bryson

Comment

Good to hear from you again, George! I have only praise for the VIR. You all came together to help a stranded Old Harley long distance rider you didn't know from squat over Labor Day last year. And I loved your display at the Springfield Mile front gate, too.

Check out the doings of the local AMCA Chapters, particularly the "late" chapter, I assume, the Chief Blackhawk AMC, across the river. I know that some of your members are "also" card-carrying AMCA members, but there's no requirement that 'all" your participants be members to participate in AMCA functions. Then, only eight AMCA members are required to form an AMCA chapter. The magazine itself it worth the $30/year.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Rolling Wheels Vintage Motorcycle Club in Wisconsin's beautiful Chippewa Valley. We are near our 15th anniversary. Most of us are from the Eau Claire, WI area and also belong indivually to the AMCA but decided we like our club just the way it is and did not want to deal with the hassles of joining. We probably have about 40 members and have a beautiful selelction of bikes.

Our name was taken from one of the old time clubs that used to ride in our area after WW2. We even have 3 of the old club members among our ranks. We had our Christmas Party last Thursday night and had a good turnout.

Jerry

Comment

Vintage Iron Riders activities

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
            Judging from the pictures of your Christmas parties it looks like you have a good number of members and a great variety of makes of motorcycles. Looks like a fun group of people also.
            We have over 80 members. Not only do we have a great variety of motorcycles, but our members' interests also vary from fun runs to bike shows/displays. At the Springfield Mile dirt track races in Springfield, IL on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends, Vintage Iron Riders has an invitational park and display located just south of the grandstands. Any motorcycle 25 years or older may park in our fenced area at no cost. This allows owners to share their bikes with the rest of the world and park them in a reasonably safe area (I am usually there trying to keep an eye on things.) whilst attending the races.

In late September / early October, we have a ride on fun roads between Springfield, IL and my brother's motorcycle shop in Western Illinois. We stay at his cabin, either sleeping in bunks, in cots, or camping outside. We have two scrumptious meals, bonfire, entertainment, visit at least one motorcycle collection, and have a place to stay -- all for $10 each.

We also have a movie night; bike show at Hooter's in Bloomington, IL; club picnic; and various shows throughout the year. Yes, our members seem to have a good time.
            George Tinkham
            Springfield, IL
            www.virmc.com
            AMCA # 1494
            1941 Indian 841
            1948 Indian Chief
            1956 H-D KHK
            1960 CH
            1964 BMW R69S
            1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
            1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the F.O.G., Flathead Owners' Group. That's a group with a passion for American Sidevalves. That qualification attracts both Indian and Harley riders with the particular passion for L-head engines to come together in the first weekend in May near Tampa, Florida for a couple of days of camaraderie and a ride that crosses the old "us versus them" Indian-Harley rivalries. http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...e-That-s-Amore!

"Indianut," Danny and wife Julie, along with Ross & Sandy (preserving a road-worthy Harley XA) and many others help insure that the F.O.G. rolls in annually on Kentucky Derby weekend, THE first weekend in May, beginning with an overnight campout at a canoe campground on the banks of the Manatee River. email: Indianut@msn.com
              Gerry Lyons #607
              http://www.37ul.com/
              http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

George,
                Sounds like your club has it together very well. That is really what it is all about, the comraderie, transitioning makes of bikes and making all feel welcome. Keep up the good work and lets hope a similar club starts up in the northeast N.Y.C. Tri-State area. 80 active members is no small club and I am sure it takes alot of time and energy to keep it going. Best of luck to you and the club.
                D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by Coolbreeze View Post
                  My questions are:
                  1. What other local antique clubs are out there?
                  2. Any suggestions on how AMCA might interact productively with these clubs? AMA's approach might work here.

The way I see it, both AMCA and local clubs are good for preserving and enjoying antique motorcycles. Together, these clubs might do even more.
                  1. A "club" might be defined as a group of people with common intrests in antique motorcycles, and I think there are many of these small groups.
                  2. In Texas we are trying to expand our AMCA Cherokee Chapter by attending events both inside AMCA and venues that are established independant events of common intrests, Swapmeets, Bike Shows, Car Shows, and road runs for an example. We held a booth Dec.31 2012 displaying several fine examples, J, Vl, EL, FL, WL and XL Models. We had 4 owners of 1946 knuckleheads, none of whom knew each other at our booth, but were introduced by our chapter members, several joined us on the spot.

The 16th and 17th we will set up a booth (With some special Motorcycles) at the Jeff Williams Swapmeet at the OKC. Fairgrounds and meet with a group of intrested riders seeking to become more active with Texas AMCA Chapter, they have aprox. 50 members who on the most part could care less about being part of a big National Club but would be intrested in local activities. Several are thinking about joining both the National (one just did) and Cherokee Chapter to stay informed on runs and events of intrest to their friends.

In talking with Fred Davis, National Chapter Director, I formed a positive attitude about reaching out to other Chapters, Local Clubs or groups, individule riders, and invite them to come talk with our members, see how active we are becoming, and hopefully decide to join us or at least meet on common ground. www.CherokeeAMCA.org for more info.

I think we can only grow with a positive attitude towards other groups at the local level. Not everybody can afford to travel across the country to National Meets, the closest was Davenport 975 miles for me, We are planning events across the State of Texas, some will be planned so that people from nearby states can attend, and if enough intrest is generated, another National Road run in the Hill country, or a Swapmeet could be in our future. There was a good meet in Colo. that lasted several good years.

We shall see if we are on the right path, we increased our membership by 15% the first month. Shelby

Comment

It has been a while since this thread has been addressed, I would like to give an update of our success in partnering with non AMCA events. Of the Nine events this year only Three involved the AMCA, The Diamond Chapter Show in Hot Springs, Jefferson Road Run and our spring Smithville meet. The rest was Swapmeets in Arlington, Oklahoma City, Eustis, Davenport, Barber and Denton, with meet and greet booths, display of antique motorcycles or just going to a Motorcycle Event with new and old Friends.

The Denton Texas Pistons and Paint Car Show invited us to put on a Display of 38 Antique Motorcycles (see our Website www.cherokeeamca.org for pictures and video) where we were a big hit with the general public and car club members. Our members started up 100 year old Motorcycles and worked the crowd answering questions and signing up new members. These non-AMCA events have worked to give our members a place to meet and enjoy a venue that someone else paid for.

At Barber I reported to Fred Davis and Richard Spagnolli the success we were having and that the national should do more to encourage our approach, like the AMCA Board did at Barber for the first time. Although Fred and I had a good talk about this approach on events like Barber, the Cannonball or other Non-AMCA event I am not allowed to mention on this forum, I was told that what we do at the local Chapter level was up to the Chapters to decide. Our Chapter doubled in size this year and growing stronger supporting each others intrests with a wide range of venues

If you would look around your own chapter you would find that some members belong to more than one motorcycle groups, that they do not only attend AMCA events, and if you look at the entire AMCA membership a lot do not belong to a chapter while others belong to several.

I would encourage all to explore different ways to meet new people and ride with. I was surprised at how many people did not know of the AMCA untill we set up our meet and greet booths. Shelby

Comment

Working...
                    X