Sportster Front Tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Front Tire

I have acquired a couple of Goodyear All-Traction 18" rear tires for my '64 CH, but I don't remember the Type of (19") tire that came on the front wheel. I assume it was a Goodyear, but don't know the tire's model name or if they're still made (fat chance!) and I'll neeed to start the hunt. Not remembering what the thread pattern looked like, I've probably looked past some of the correct tires at Oley, Rhinebeck and Hebron and not recoqnized them.

Also, in case these tires are very hard to come find, is there a similar tire that's available that I can use temporarily until I locate the correct OEM tire?

Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill, I asked Robbie this question a few years back. He said they came equipped with Goodyear Grass Hoppers. I also scored a set of D/Ts as they were Goodyear and the tread still looks cool on the bike. I couldn’t find a set of Grass Hoppers that I would trust just to push the bike around not alone ride on. Bob L
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Robert Luland; 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

They had a grasshoppers for sure, 3.50-19 on the front, 4.00-18 on the rear. The fronts are on ebay nos time to time. Good luck on the rear if you can find one in any condition that someone is willing to part with. I am looking for a rear currently and am willing to pay the price at this point.
      1959 XLCH

Comment

I like the "Square" front tire on the 57-58-61 sporty.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I believe the term (Grasshopper) is a nick name. The rear tire is the 'All-Traction', which I've always called the Grasshopper tire. Looks like we disagree in semantics - probably a local thing. I have three of these OEM rear tires, but only one has a nice thread nice enough (and safe enough) to mount on a bike. One has a PERFECT Thread with no wear and its been knocking arounf Richoe Brown's shop for around 25 years. I believe It came from Gil May's shop (Gil's Cycle) in Massapequa, N.Y. when we both worked there. But someone made a razor blade cut transversely across the tire through about 3/4 of the thread depth. The cut was so fine that I did not see it until I washed it off and started to do a detailed cleaning with Armorall and a machinist scribe. I'm saving it as an OEM trmplate in case I can convince Coker to repro them when I see them at Oley or Rhinebeck. As for the front, the 3.50-19 size certainly is a help, I really need the formal Goodyear name, if anybody knows it.

Bob - that photo is PRICELESS !! That could have been me in my youth! One of them is even a 1964 CH !! The photo captures so much of what it was like and how if felt and really wentright to my heart. It's what our bikes looked like when we bought them as kids. For me, that Picture is real treasure. Thanks so much for sharing it.....
          Last edited by billpedalino; 11-09-2012, 07:58 AM.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

Have a look at "The Legend Begins". Tires for XL models are described in the year to year Sportster options list.
            VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
              I believe the term (Grasshopper) is a nick name. The rear tire is the 'All-Traction', which I've always called the Grasshopper tire. Looks like we disagree in semantics - probably a local thing. I have three of these OEM rear tires, but only one has a nice thread nice enough (and safe enough) to mount on a bike. One has a PERFECT Thread with no wear and its been knocking arounf Richoe Brown's shop for around 25 years. I believe It came from Gil May's shop (Gil's Cycle) in Massapequa, N.Y. when we both worked there. But someone made a razor blade cut transversely across the tire through about 3/4 of the thread depth. The cut was so fine that I did not see it until I washed it off and started to do a detailed cleaning with Armorall and a machinist scribe. I'm saving it as an OEM trmplate in case I can convince Coker to repro them when I see them at Oley or Rhinebeck. As for the front, the 3.50-19 size certainly is a help, I really need the formal Goodyear name, if anybody knows it.

Bob - that photo is PRICELESS !! That could have been me in my youth! One of them is even a 1964 CH !! The photo captures so much of what it was like and how if felt and really wentright to my heart. It's what our bikes looked like when we bought them as kids. For me, that Picture is real treasure. Thanks so much for sharing it.....

It wasn't a nickname, it was clearly written on the side of the tire. I have tried in the past with several emails to Coker to see how many orders it would take to repro that tire. For some reason they won't do it, I guess the demand is not there. Maybe if enough people email them they may see a potential there, I don't know.
              Last edited by murph; 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM.
              1959 XLCH

Comment

You guys are (of course) correct... From what I can ascertain, it looks like 1966 was a tire-transition year for the CH, according to The Legend Begins. 1966 was the first year that the ribbed tire is listed for the front wheel and the Grasshopper tire on the rear while Model year 1965 lists both tires as Grasshopper (I still don't remember that name - but I was obviously wrong). The 1967 photo (and listing) shows the 3.5" x 19" front ribbed tire and lists the rear as a 18" x 4.00" 'Road Racing' tire which is the same listing for the 1968 and 1969 model years. I would assume that the Road Racing tire is the Goodyear All-Traction tire that I remember - or did that tire come later??.

In any event, Murph has once again caused me another couple of years of searching for parts that are obviously difficult to find, at best! Looks like I will have to put the 1967-style tires on until (or if) I can locate the correct Grasshoppr tires. Thanks Murph !

Does anyone know the model name of the 3.50 x 19 ribbed front tire? I seem to remember 'Speed-Grip', but I may be confusing it with the Avon fronts that we used to sell on our chopper front wheels.
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill even if you find a set of usable grasshoppers, I don't recommend riding on them. I use avon speed masters as a decent period looking tire. I have them on several bikes and they are nice. I am currently in the market for a rear grasshopper for my 62 ch which has been retired for the past few years for sentimental reasons.
                  1959 XLCH

Comment

(I still don't remember that name - but I was obviously wrong).
                    Goodyear Sport Rib

Comment

Jerry - Speed Grip !! That's the name - Thanks.

Murph - The picture posted above on 11/9 at 9:12AM - are those Avon Speed Masters? As far as retiring your '62, I really can relate to that. I own a few old bikes in various states of restoration. My 47 FL is nearly complete, it runs very well and will be ridden, as will my '53 FLE which is about 40% along the way. I have a 1970 XLCH that runs , but has not yet entered the restoration process. That will also be a rider, along with a couple of other bikes that I've accumulated over the years and intend to restore when the dollars return. But my '64 CH was my first motorcycle and it's been knocking around for many years. Truth is after its completed, whether I decide to have it judged or not, I really don't have any intention of riding it, other than around the block, occasionally at a meet, or just starting it to keep it lubricated. It was my first bike and for me, it only serves as a running, physical touchstone to my youth.
                      Last edited by billpedalino; 11-11-2012, 07:14 AM.
                      Bill Pedalino
                      Huntington, New York
                      AMCA 6755

Comment

Bob Luland - do you know anything about the photo that you posted above, or is it just an old pic that you acquired? It looks like these two lads were photographed in the 1965/1966 time period. I'd be curious to know more.
                        Last edited by billpedalino; 11-11-2012, 07:14 AM.
                        Bill Pedalino
                        Huntington, New York
                        AMCA 6755

Comment

Jerry - Speed Grip !! That's the name - Thanks.

Murph - The picture posted above on 11/9 at 9:12AM - are those Avon Speed Masters? As far as retiring your '62, I really can relate to that. I own a few old bikes in various states of restoration. My 47 FL is nearly complete, it runs very well and will be ridden, as will my '53 FLE which is about 40% along the way. I have a 1970 XLCH that runs , but has not yet entered the restoration process. That will also be a rider, along with a couple of other bikes that I've accumulated over the years and intend to restore when the dollars return. But my '64 CH was my first motorcycle and it's been knocking around for many years. Truth is after its completed, whether I decide to have it judged or not, I really don't have any intention of riding it, other than around the block, occasionally at a meet, or just starting it to keep it lubricated. It was my first bike and for me, it only serves as a running, physical touchstone to my youth.
                          Bill, that bike is a 59ch I did for a friend. The tires were nos grasshoppers believe it or not. Avon speed masters are what's on my 62 in this photo.

1959 XLCH

Comment

Bill, I know nothing of the photo other than I collect them. Here’s a couple more. Bob L
                            Attached Files
                            AMCA #3149
                            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Bob,
                              I love the fact that that guy's wearing 'Engineer's' Boots !!
                              Bill Pedalino
                              Huntington, New York
                              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                              X