1964 CH Primary Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 CH Primary Cover

When I purchased my used '64 XLCH, the primary cover was chromed. The chrome was well-worn and it looked like 'Harley chrome' that came with the bike. However, the pictures I've seen seem to indicate that the 1964 primary cover was originally painted black. Can anyone (maybe any Sportster Judges out there) please provide the difinative answer?

Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

The original primary cover on my 64 XLCH is chrome and made from two different pieces. The derby cover was a separate stamped piece and then attached to the rest of the cover. The main cover is one piece but it is a smooth dome under the derby area The derby cover was then stamped out with the ribs in it and spot welded to the main cover. Later they were all one piece with the ribs pressed into the main piece. I think 64 was the last year for the two piece one, the parts books may give clues. I know someone with a original 64 XLCH and it is the same as mine. My 64 is very original with a spray can paint over the original. The motor is out right now but a otherwise stock bike. If you pm me with contact information I may be able to answer some of your other questions. My mouth is a lot faster than my typing. If I don't respond right away I may have lost power due to Sandy as I am right in the bullseye.
    Thanks Jim D
    Last edited by jim d; 10-29-2012, 06:49 PM.
    Jim D

Comment

64 Cover. Bob L
      Attached Files
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

The chrome cover has a -64 part number, which implies it was used in 1964.
        VPH-D

Comment

Thank You gentlemen. I guess my memory is correct. I like when that happens...
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

And yet, The Legend Begins shows a black primary cover on the 1964 CH. WHo knows - maybe it is a '63 photo that was re-touched. Just shows that you can't always trust factory photos!
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
              And yet, The Legend Begins shows a black primary cover on the 1964 CH. WHo knows - maybe it is a '63 photo that was re-touched. Just shows that you can't always trust factory photos!
              I have been told the factory used the year prior pics with the current paint scheme.
              1959 XLCH

Comment

You're probably right - they did that alot.
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

From the ENTHUSIAST Sept 1963 the new SPORTSTERS, there are new weight saving aluminum tappet guides,a new polyacrylic clutch seal,full width aluminum racing type hubs, the CH has a new chrome plated lower fork bracket panel and a CHROME PLATED PRIMARY CHAIN GUARD.
                  Jim D
                  Jim D

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
                    Thank You gentlemen. I guess my memory is correct. I like when that happens...
                    As I stated above......
                    Bill Pedalino
                    Huntington, New York
                    AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                    X