Chief Center Stand Operation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Center Stand Operation?

I have just recently crossed over to the Indian side. What is the trick to get the bike up on it's center stand? I have a '46 Chief.

Thanks!

-Mark

Mark, with your kick stand down, lean the bike towards you with all the weight of the bike on the kickstand, and with your foot move the centerstand into place, then place bike back up. You will have to lean over quite a ways where it feels un-natural. If I have anyone else around when I need to do it, I have them lean down and pull centerstand down with their hand. Mark

Comment

Like Lonewolf said, the bike pivots on the front tire, and kick stand, and lifts the back of the bike quite a ways off the ground. The first time you do it is nerve wracking, and scarey, but you'll be amazed at how well it works. Don't do it if you have any doubts about your kick stand.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Even a 98 pound weakling can do it!
        Louie
        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Kinda like s@x, if it hurts maybe you're doin' it wrong...
          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Here is a video of me putting my bike up on the center stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWEjy...4&feature=plcp

Comment

This is why I joined AMCA! Since I bought the Chief in '68, I have pulled it up on the center stand just a like a Brit bike. Hmm, maybe that is why I keep tearing the center stand off the poor thing.....
              George Tinkham
              Springfield, IL
              www.virmc.com
              AMCA # 1494
              1941 Indian 841
              1948 Indian Chief
              1956 H-D KHK
              1960 CH
              1964 BMW R69S
              1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
              1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Let me add a word of caution. I have seen many of the forward mounted sidestands that have the hook at the top to keep the bike from rolling forward off the stand broken off. It is my opinion (and, of course, it is my own humble opinion) that putting the bike on the center stand is what caused them to break. I would recommend installing the 47 and back peg style side stand just as an aid to getting the bike on the center stand.

Comment

Well that sucks ass. I just did this on my 1948 Indin and the damned kickstand broke just before the circular part the bolts the stand leg to the bracket and the bike landed on my right ankle and foot. Then I had no way of standing the bike up so I had to roll it and lean it against the tire of my hotrod. I highly don't recommend this. My ankle is OK but my wallet just got emptied out of $160 for a new /old 1948 Kickstand!!! My ankle is a bit sore but the bike survived. Looks like the stand is cast iron and not forged.

Comment

The first time I let someone demonstrate to me how to put my 47 on the center stand by rolling over on the side stand,as in the video ,Battery acid dumped out all over the bike.
                    I removed the side and center stand and put on the later 48 front motor mount kick stand.Much better set up.
                    Tom

Comment

Imagine that Indian also suggested that once the bike is on the center stand, then you can lean the bike further over onto the side stand (note the curved up leg on the center stand side closest to the side stand) and in doing so you can then remove the rear wheel! I’m not trusting that shaky tripod arrangement!
                      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Chief View Post
                        Well that sucks ass. I just did this on my 1948 Indin and the damned kickstand broke just before the circular part the bolts the stand leg to the bracket and the bike landed on my right ankle and foot. Then I had no way of standing the bike up so I had to roll it and lean it against the tire of my hotrod. I highly don't recommend this. My ankle is OK but my wallet just got emptied out of $160 for a new /old 1948 Kickstand!!! My ankle is a bit sore but the bike survived. Looks like the stand is cast iron and not forged.
                        I put my '40 Chief on it's center stand whenever I finished a ride because it had drooling issues. I was always fearful that the kickstand would break, or slip out of it's lock when I wanted to use the centerstand. It never happened, but the doubt was always there. As a belt and suspenders fix; I welded a steel bar inside the kickstand channel, and whenever the paranoia got to me, I would go through the whole kickstand assembly and make sure it would lock when down. I also made a bushing for the kickstand where the pivot bolt goes through so there would be no wobbling, or play. Use a grade 8 pivot bolt, and a lock-nut to hold it all in place. The biggest problem I had was finding good springs of the right length to keep the kickstand up when I rode. I love Indians, but they made one of the worst kickstands I have ever had to live with on a motorcycle.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

I put my '48 Chief on the center stand for 2 reasons:
                          1. Maintenance, such as oil changes.
                          2. When on a long trip, I often need to pull over and rest. With the bike on the center stand, I can lean back on my bedroll and duffle with my heels hooked over the handlebar and take a nap. Sounds weird, but it works -- and I not yet fallen off.

It simply does not work for me to use the clumsy side stand technique to get the bike on its center stand when it is loaded with luggage; therefore, I intend to reinforce the center stand mount so that it will not snap off (as it has twice already) when I rock the bike (loaded with luggage) onto its center stand. To do this, I put my left foot against the lowered center stand and pull back and up on the left rear crash bar.

Has anyone successfully reinforced the center stand mount? If so, what did you do?
                          George Tinkham
                          Springfield, IL
                          www.virmc.com
                          AMCA # 1494
                          1941 Indian 841
                          1948 Indian Chief
                          1956 H-D KHK
                          1960 CH
                          1964 BMW R69S
                          1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                          1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                          X