Harley KHK tool kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley KHK tool kit

Does anyone have an idea of what the original tool kit was like for the KH model?
    I am putting together what seems to make sense to me. Here is what I have so far:
    * a sawed off spark plug socket that is drilled to accommodate the ceramic top of the plug. It has a 15/16" hex top.
    * an 8" ChannelLock (model 808W) "Crescent" wrench to use on the spark plug socket, axle nuts, etc.
    * a 4.5" ChannelLock (model 424) tongue and grove plier.
    * feeler gauge.
    * repop of a Harley special tool for valve covers and valve stem nuts. From V Twin, item # 16-0414.
    * straight tip screwdriver.
    * side snip wire cutter.
    * shop towel.

With all this, there is still room for my proof of insurance and a spare spark plug.

Incidentally, the ChannelLock wrench made in Spain was superior to a Crescent brand made in China. It had better tolerances and fit.

Any suggested additions or substitutes?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

I don't have info on origional tools,... but since there was no replies. If the 8" is strong enough for the axels that's good. I would add some small end wrenches 3/8 through 9/16, a small piece of 220 grit wet/dry sand paper or emery cloth to clean points and plugs, also pack in a new condenser, a length of jumper wire for electrical emergencys, and a small length of stainless wire to hold the pipe on when the clamp breaks (not that that's ever happened).
    I've searched till my head throbbed for any info on origional tool kits and their contents and came to the conclusion that there is no info published anywhere. I hope someone can prove me wrong on that.
    Kerry
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

I just adjusted my rear chain, and the ChannelLock wrench worked fine on the 1" nut on the axle. It was awkward on the adjustment nuts, however. I will put a couple of double open end wrenches in the kit because it is hard keeping track of how much you have turned a nut when you are struggling to get a big wrench to work in a tight area. The 4 1/2" ChannelLock pliers work great to hold the adjusting nut in place whilst tightening the lock nut with the adjustable wrench.

The screwdriver should be ~8" long with at least a 4" shaft.

I cannot emphasize enough how fine tool the made in Spain ChannelLock adjustable wrench is. It was one of the best $12.98 tool purchases I ever made.
      George Tinkham
      Springfield, IL
      www.virmc.com
      AMCA # 1494
      1941 Indian 841
      1948 Indian Chief
      1956 H-D KHK
      1960 CH
      1964 BMW R69S
      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Here is the tool kit I described earlier. I finally learned how to post photos.

The 8" adjustable spanner is made by Channel Lock in Spain. It is item #808W with "CR - VA" stamped after the item #. It is superbly made of high quality steel and fits the rear axle nut. Crescent and Craftsman brand just do not measure up. The 1/4" screwdriver with 4" shaft is a Craftsman with the bulb at the end of the handle sawed off -- necessary for it to fit. The valve stem cover wrench is #16-0414 by V-Twin. It has been severely reshaped so that it will fit the rear cover. One open end wrench is 1/2" - 9/16" by Allen and the other is 3/8" - 7/16" by Williams. The 13/16" socket has been shortened and drilled so that it will fit over a spark plug without removing the tank. I use the Channel Lock spanner on the socket. There is a point file, pencil tire gauge, 4 1/2" Channel Lock pliers, and electrical side snips. I have both blade and wire type feeler gauges because I'm not comfortable using the wire type for everything. The piece of inner tube is to protect the paint on the bottom of the tool box. The electrical wire is 12 gauge. The insurance information card has been protected by applying clear shipping tape on both sides. There is also a Band-Aid dispenser and packets of alcohol wipes for medical emergencies. Finally, there is a shop towel.

Eventually, I plan on printing, and applying a protective coating to, an information card showing appropriate tire pressures, point/plug/valve settings, carburetor adjustment instructions, and lubrication points. I might also include instructions on polarizing the generator. A small flashlight and matches might also be nice – if there is room.

As you can see, I tend to use all available space because you never know what to expect on the road. I always carry a Swiss Army knife on me; so, the tool kit need not duplicate what it can do.

The tool box has plastic / rubber washers that keep the swing out part from rubbing the paint off the fixed part. These washers are hard to find when they come off when the box is opened. I solved that problem with Gorilla Glue and touch up paint.

Sure, many riders claim all you need is a cell phone and a credit card; however, a well thought-out tool kit can help resolve a problem before help can arrive. Besides, I like the feeling of being able to take care of my bike – and myself.
        Last edited by Coolbreeze; 10-28-2015, 08:59 PM. Reason: Add information
        George Tinkham
        Springfield, IL
        www.virmc.com
        AMCA # 1494
        1941 Indian 841
        1948 Indian Chief
        1956 H-D KHK
        1960 CH
        1964 BMW R69S
        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Check out Rubone's post on http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...model-tool-kit

He has found a 1955 accessory catalogue that shows the tool kit for the K line.
          George Tinkham
          Springfield, IL
          www.virmc.com
          AMCA # 1494
          1941 Indian 841
          1948 Indian Chief
          1956 H-D KHK
          1960 CH
          1964 BMW R69S
          1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

I don't see Band-Aids.
            Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
            Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead1 View Post
              I don't see Band-Aids.
              They are in the yellow dispenser in a ziploc baggie on the lower right side of the photo. Vintage Iron Riders gave these away one year to participants who parked their vintage or older bikes in our area at the Springfield Mile races.
              George Tinkham
              Springfield, IL
              www.virmc.com
              AMCA # 1494
              1941 Indian 841
              1948 Indian Chief
              1956 H-D KHK
              1960 CH
              1964 BMW R69S
              1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
              X