WESTON Ammeter Model 354 for 1934 VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WESTON Ammeter Model 354 for 1934 VL

I have one of these ammeters (non-HD) with dial readings of + to - 30 amps. How does this ammeter work in a VL when the dail readings for the HD only go from
    + to - 10 amps. Is the face plate the only difference or is there something else?

Check with Kevin Flanagan at Indian Gauge Co.

http://indiangauge.com/INDIAN%20WEBS...0PAGE%202.html
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

Comment

Thanks Bob

Comment

This is the answer which Kevin provided:

The turns ratio is different in the 10-0-10 amp gauge as opposed to the 30-0-30 amp. The higher the amperage reading the less turns ratio in the two coils inside the gauge. You also have to wind them in the correct direction or they cancel each other out. I use to rebuild these and rewind them but have retired from the amp gauge business. They weren't cheap to rebuild as I had a number of them that ran around $300.00 to rebuild. I don't know of anyone rebuilding them at this time.

Comment

I always figured that it was as simple as the shunt resistor being a lower ohm value than the -10 to +10 version? I would think that Kevin would know for sure though.
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Just a post script to this, there MAY be a lot of folks buying what they think is a correct 10-0-10 Harley ammeter for their restoration when in reality they are buying a Weston ammeter model 354 that is a 30-0-30 type with a new Harley 10-0-10 face plate. I believe it will fuction but not be giving the user correct readings.

Comment

Kevin Flanagan here, I have had an overwhelming response from friends and AMCA members to continue rebuilding ammeters and oil gauges, so although I am not producing ammeters on a regular basis at this time, I will still be continuing with repairs. Unfortunately I am already backed up for repair work so if in need of repair, it may be some time until completion. Thanks for all the response and compliments from friends and members which helped me decide to continue. Also from this response I have found a number of members using original ammeters, which can run into problems. I have meggered a number of original ammeters and found the insulation failing, no surprise being 50-80 years old. Always fuse or add a disconnect to your antiques on the positive or negative side close to the battery to prevent a short while sitting in your garage or living room! When not in use disconnect this feed source. Remember, you have a $30,000 motorcycle, you can have a $30,000 fire. I always advise to replace original insulation with modern equivalents, although it may be more costly in a repair, it is a lot safer. In response to the above statement, this is quite correct. I have repaired a number of HD 354 Weston ammeters that were an automotive gauge with replacement face. To have these read correctly the two coils must be rewound with the proper turns ratio, then comparative load tested for accuracy. On 60 amp Weston meters some have no coils, but solid bus bar, which make them more difficult to turn into a lower amperage meter. Some 60 amp meters have a single winding. If there are any questions, you can contact me at indiangauge.com, and I may be able to help answer. I am still keeping my website going for limited gauge parts and various used and NOS parts and gauges for sale. If you do not see what you need on the website, contact me, I may be able to help.

Comment

One more note on this. I do not understand Weston's numbering system, they made the model 354 ammeter with several different power ranges -10 to +10, -20 to +20, -30 to +30 and they kept the #354 for all???

Comment

Working...
                X