Club turmoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club turmoil

I was wondering if anybody could explain what is going on with the administration/leadership of this club. For years, the leadership seemed to stay the same and everything seemed to run smoothly. In the last 4 -5 years it seems the leadership of this club keeps going thru a revolving door. Long time leadership up and quits or new leaderships stays a short time and then abruptly leaves.
    The latest big issue is the recent Chief Blackhawk Meet fiasco as outlined in the club magazine (only the leadership side seemed to get printed for some reason)! Obviously it is wrong and illegal for anybody to physically attack/harm another individual. But what led to this altercation and what led to the Chief Blackhawk Chapter giving up its National Meet status???
    The officers/management of this club have an obligation to all club members to spell out both sides of what is going on!
    I, and I assume all club members look forward to hearing from all parties involved.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by motor-officer; 01-24-2012, 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling

As much as I think there is far too much in the way of politics on this forum..... seeing as you asked....http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ort-newsletter If you surf around on Buzz Kanter's site there's a much larger thread there.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Thank you for the info. I am new to the forum and should have checked the archives. Its unfortunate that the "complete" story was not properly explained/written in the national club magazine as it should have been.....

Comment

Let's talk about old motorcycles.
        Last edited by exeric; 01-25-2012, 11:31 AM.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, really man, here and on caimag both, you endlessly and blindly defend the BOD's actions (or lack of action)- there's no way everything is the fault of "others" who you and a few other party-liners attempt to ridicule at every opportunity. "For the sake of the AMCA" (which is made up of the MEMBERS, not just the BOD), the BOD needs to take it's blinders off, come out of the Ivory Tower, admit there's a problem, and work to fix it- only way the wounds will heal is to acknowledge and fix the problems- NOT ignore the dues-paying members and vehemently defend and attempt to perpetuate the status quo. No representation, elections, or input allowed from the members is just ridiculous- and a few folks appointing themselves and carefully-selected others who will toe the line is not an "election". Attempting to ridicule other members for daring to speak out is a "childish antic". Your statement, "I don't think space in "The Antique Motorcycle" should be wasted on the childish antics of pompus, self-serving characters that can't get along with each other." ignores the fact that exactly that has happened, but only one side of the story was included- you're accepting one side of the story without question, and there's way too many incidents and people involved lately to stick your head in the sand and ignore. There's a word for that kind of "reporting"- propaganda. And by attempting to ridicule other members for their courage in speaking out, you only help to deepen the division. Most folks don't care to have things crammed down their throats, be BS'd or ignored when they have something to say, and I don't know anyone who cares for being personally ridiculed. JMHO- but I am a member just like all the rest, and everyone should have a voice in THEIR organization- structured of course, but right now, us pee-ons, as they say, got nuttin' in the way of input- and that just ain't right

Ah, I see you've severely edited your post- maybe calmed down and decided to respect other member's opinions a bit? Thank you- if you mean it

Comment

I'm getting sick of this crap on the forum. Somebody is a lying POS. How can there be two COMPLETLY DIFFERENT accounts of the same event? If you want to drive away people like me, you are doing a pretty good job. And yes, it is too bad this has slid into the CAI forum also. I ask questions about stuff on here and get NO answers. Maybe the experts are either all tied up in revenge posts, or have already left this forum, and maybe the club, too. If you want to talk about a REAL issue, explain how the AMCA accepts aftermarket bikes for judging, with no points loss, if they "look stock". WTF? Mike

Comment

If AMCA politics' don't belong on the AMCA forum. Then where do they belong? I'd just love to hear the answer to this. Bob L
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

We still have to wait and see how the Florida move works out and how quick the story changes if something bad happens. Shelby

Comment

I think motor-officer titled it appropriately... "Club turmoil". Due to my great appreciation for the concept of a free world, I can't say that politics shouldn't be here. I can say though that before all the "turmoil" that this was the best forum on the web. When the s@!t hit the fan our great place to talk old bikes started a downward swirl. Many folks that have always posted, either post far less frequently or didn't have the stomach for the ranting and raving and quit posting all together. I find it rather unfortunate that a lot of the people voicing displeasure with how the club is operated, only signed on to the forum to have a voice against the leadership. If those same folks could balance things a bit with something to do with actual antique motorcyles, maybe we could work our way back to what this place once was. I don't condemn your politics, your opinions or your right to voice them. I do find a constant diet of it a bit of a bummer though. I know that the point could be made that if "you don't like it, don't read it!" but when politics is the overwhelming topic, you aren't left with a lot of choices.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                    I think motor-officer titled it appropriately... "Club turmoil". Due to my great appreciation for the concept of a free world, I can't say that politics shouldn't be here. I can say though that before all the "turmoil" that this was the best forum on the web. When the s@!t hit the fan our great place to talk old bikes started a downward swirl. Many folks that have always posted, either post far less frequently or didn't have the stomach for the ranting and raving and quit posting all together. I find it rather unfortunate that a lot of the people voicing displeasure with how the club is operated, only signed on to the forum to have a voice against the leadership. If those same folks could balance things a bit with something to do with actual antique motorcyles, maybe we could work our way back to what this place once was. I don't condemn your politics, your opinions or your right to voice them. I do find a constant diet of it a bit of a bummer though. I know that the point could be made that if "you don't like it, don't read it!" but when politics is the overwhelming topic, you aren't left with a lot of choices.
                    The downward swirl must be abating, Cory.
                    When I logged on here there were twenty threads in progress. This is the only one involving club politics, and it's "clearly titled," and the discourse has been quite civil.

I agree that there is something wrong with the club. It's always been composed of only the invited BoD members making up the legal "members of the corporation," with absolute authority, and the rest of us only magazine subscribers, for all that that is worth; we might as well be just cattle; allowed to enter the gates of national meets. I am sure that can be changed to a more representative democracy, perhaps using at least the suggested chapter representatives, without pandemonium breaking out.
                    Gerry Lyons #607
                    http://www.37ul.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

I have to admit you are correct on the abatement observation Sarge. It has picked up a little bit around here as of late. The only thing I'm wondering about after hearing some of the slamming and character bashing is..... if it all evolved and were democratic, would the campaigning be civil? Just pondering out loud...
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

I find myself watching and wishing constantly that enough members would take notice of the fundamental problem and make their wishes known. It makes 100% sense to me to move this club into the 21st century with a more representative structure. It would do wonders for general morale, enhance volunteerism and club pride, and make the club more attractive to the world. It’s time, fellow members. It’s time to do something about the problem. This is not an issue created by a few pockets of disgruntled troublemakers. It is THE problem, the big one, the one that fuels all the other controversies. This is the problem that those who really care about moving things in a positive direction want to talk about. This is the problem that hurts people, destroys friendships, harms club programs, harms member businesses, and drives away newcomers. This is the problem that will never go away until we change the rules and make everything open, honest, and fair. It must get fixed or the club will continue to lose favor within the vintage community and fall into decline, I fear. We can fix our motorcycles when they’re not running safely, let’s get on it and fix OUR club! It won’t be that difficult, and when the work is done we’ll all see how much better it works. We’ll all be happier and healthier.

Let’s start the process of becoming open and honest with a daring move. I’m asking all current and former leaders at a national or chapter level to weigh in here. What is your opinion about moving toward a system in which member needs are addressed through chapter representation on the national board, such as through chapter and/or regional representatives sitting on the board with voting rights? The time for dialogue is now! Silence is not golden.

Steve Dawdy
                        former Chief Judge
                        former national director
                        Steve Dawdy

Comment

Turmoil

O.k. Steve I'll bite. Dawby asks National board for monies for family member to go with him when he goes to National meets to perform his job as Chief Judge. That's not in the rules, they won't change them for him, he takes his ball and quits the game. Enter Finny who's upset about Dawby's condition. Where Spagnoli is himself responsible for any of this I have yet to find. Trudi Johnson-Richards has been the nuts and bolts of this club since Mr. McClean held the reins. When Gagan came south to take control after Bob left things made a shift. The Torque Four, the Magazine to the news racks, museums (some would have worked but for outside forces), the p/u raffle, trialer, etc. Mostly everyone had issues with Heinz. Rocky took over and did the best he could given the circunstances. O.K. Steve, I'm a former National Board member, former National meet coordinator (5years), former chapter editor, former chapter secretary, former and present Chapter Director, and former National Judge. One of my tasks while on the board was to compile all the member input from the FIRST member survey. That was when the Cornfield Mafia was fighting with the New Jersey Gang for control of the President'c position. I wouldn't back either and the finding of the survey was not flattering to certain board members so I was not voted back on the board (I've always been ok with that even though they stuck it in the back like Brutus) and their hand picked Blackhawk man took my place. The President's board now meets like a Congress and brings forth their Chapter's issues. That's local representation. Things are just starting to settle down and right it's self but some can't get their way so thay make the most noise so they'll get the grease. We almost dropped out of having a National meet out here and went back to a Regional because YOU Steve messed with the judging and even wanted to give out our vanity (club) awards . I heard but haven't confirmed that you had issues with three other Chapter's you were in, just sayin'. If the Blackhawk Chapter doesn't want to be in the AMCA, have a National or Regional meet that's up to them and them alone. Makes room for other's that probally would. If they can't make money at it then somethings wrong with the financial management of their funds and they ought to change the way their doing business and not blame it on the National Board. Richard Ostrander National#47, former National# 2176, former National#11 (how about that Dawby)
                          DrSprocket

Comment

LOL. Thanks Rich, I didn’t realize you still loved me so much. But seriously, the question I have posed is not supposed to be about you or me, our tenure has passed. I am still hoping for some constructive dialogue that might give our leaders some member input as they move the club along to more positive territory. How about it everybody, any other opinions out there?

Steve
                            Steve Dawdy

Comment

Kinda seems like Zeus and the other gods set up a lofty foundation where they could retire, and watch and laugh at the rest of us mere mortals tumble about in the garbage duty of managing the club and all of its silly politics. (i think I'd rather manage a juvee house)
                              It's fun to get an occasional chuckle, though, as it really does entertain.
                              Meantime, I'll trust the board to call us in when the time's appropriate, when we HAVE to fix something. I don't agree that it's at a crisis level until they can't handle it anymore. And they haven't flunked yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X