46 Chief - Need Engine Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46 Chief - Need Engine Rebuild

I have a 1946 stock Chief engine. I would like to have a complete rebuild of motor and transmission. I would like to upgrade to either Bonneville or Ollie cam for a little more torque & power, but would like to maintain stock reliability.

I'm in the Northern Ohio area. I would like some recommendations on a reputable and experienced builder. I would like to stay within approx 700 mile radius of Cleveland, OH.

Please post any recommendations you may have, with contact info.

Thanks!!

Engine & Tranny rebuilds

Past and Present Motorcycle Service
    Freedom Pa. 15042
    724 561 5364
    Vintage Harley and Indian Restorations
    pnpcycle@live.com
    Last edited by 46CHF; 01-15-2012, 07:34 PM. Reason: add e-mail

Comment

laughing indian if flordia aint to far M.C.

Comment

Why not rebuild it yourself? Chiefs are easy enough, especially if nothing's broken. And, you'll learn enough about it to keep the thing running when you go to actually ride it.
        Brian Groff
        Member Since 2002

Comment

Originally posted by brian_groff View Post
          Why not rebuild it yourself? Chiefs are easy enough, especially if nothing's broken. And, you'll learn enough about it to keep the thing running when you go to actually ride it.
          I've got a 48 Chief engine and transmission I need to go through. Any recommendations on good books to walk me through it?

Thanks,
          Rick L.

Comment

Rick, there's an overhaul manual that you can download for free in the club library... http://antiquemotorcycle.org/virtual...roducts_id=132
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Sure, that book, a Hone, a Milling Machine, a Lathe, a Surface Grinder, and a Boring Bar and Valve and Valve Seat Equipment.....Plus a whole bunch of Special Tools......Gear Pullers and Installers, Race Pushers, Micrometers, Bore Gages, Flywheel Jigs, Truing Stand, Balancing Setup, Rod Squaring Plate, Etc., Experience and Practice and you are ready to build your Indian Powerplant!
              http://laughingindian.com/
              http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
              A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Indianut,

You sound knowledgeable and not to hijack the thread, could you list the typical uses for the equipment in your post? I am looking to get some Experience and Practice on my powerplant. Maybe, you could provide some pointers for a new DIY'er trying to learn? It might also provide some insight to how much each piece of equipment gets used and if outsourcing is a better approach due to the cost of tools. I am slowly assembling the tools I need and plan on outsourcing what I cannot do my self. I have the items with an "*"

Available in AMCA Library:
                *Book

Available at Local engine shop?:
                *Milling Machine - rough boring cylinders, deck cylinders,
                Boring Bar - used with Mill for boring cylinders
                Hone - Hone cylinders, case races, rod races, pushrod guides
                *Lathe - ?
                *Surface Grinder - ? maybe flywheel/rod shims?
                Valve and Valve Seat Equipment - obvious?

Plus a whole bunch of Special Tools......
                *Gear Pullers - Pinion
                Gear Installers - have any pics? is there a special installer for the pinion gear?
                *Race Pushers - Rod races
                Race Pushers - case races - any pics for case races prior to 46?
                *Micrometers - measurement
                *Bore Gages - measurement
                Flywheel Jigs - any pics and usage information?
                *Truing Stand - is a bench center adequate?
                *Dial indicators - used with truing stand/bench center
                Balancing Setup - any pics and info? and Is it really necessary unless your gonna race it?
                Rod Squaring Plate - any pics and info?
                Etc. - any other information?

No motor rebuild experience, but I am knowledgeable about most of the equipment listed and I can turn a wrench and I really want to do as much of it as I can myself. I hope to do a second powerplant someday.

This past summer I successfully rebuilt a BMW R60 transmission after I had problems with it from the shop I took it to. That built my confidence, but I'm still afraid to a point about working with these pricey items. If money were not an issue I would probably be done already. I need to do it right the first time and not break anything in the process.

Wish I had a good engine builder in my back yard to learn from.

Thanks in advance,
                AMCA #10930

Comment

Overhauling an old motor-- be it Harley, Indian, or what-have-you --- will require the experienced use and operator skill of all the machines Indianut mentioned-- and probably a few more.
                  It's the same as being your own lawyer at a trial...

Comment

I agree with Rooster. There is nothing more frustrating than having a fresh built engine take a dump on you because you forgot something simple only to find out later that detail wasn't in the book but common knowledge to an experienced builder. Ever think about Bob's Indian in PA? http://bobsindian.com/
                    20scout

Comment

indianut @ laughingindian.com can return to you a completed one kick powerplant. He has done for me a 1947 45ci and 1969FL shovelhead. Both from the flywheels up. Don't see how anyone can do justice to a powerplant without the aforementioned equipment.
                      fogfrank
                      A.M.C.A. member
                      F.O.G. member

Comment

I am a firm believer in trying to do things for yourself and if you're going to be a lifelong motorcycle enthusiast, and antique motorcycle collector, you will have to pick up a few skills. Doing a motor is a big step and does require a lot of specialized equipment, and experience. I can say that Indianut (aka Danny) is someone I would trust implicitly with my motors, or component parts. What separates him from many shops is; (aside from his love of all things motorcycle) his background in tool and die so nothing mechanical can stump him. If he comes to a river, he can build a bridge. There are very few engine builders out there with his background.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

I aggree with all the good advice,but would offer the following if you want to tackle yourself
                          Start easy with the teardown.This will give you a sense of the components,and you can asses the visible damage.A motor in relatively good condition will be a much easier build than one with spun bearing housings,etc. Then it should be easier to decide what you think you need to send to out.
                          "virtual Indian" is another website has lots of good articles in its archives for indian powerplants.
                          Tom

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys, but I'm just a Grease Monkey with some Machinery. I would love to train a young person to do what I do, there just don't seem to be too many that are interested. I see what these guys are asking, I just don't know how I can type to someone how to Build Engines. Even if you have, or have access to, the Machinery. I had and used most of my Machinery for many years before I began using it to Build Engines. I would suggest that if you are set on doing it yourself that you send the cases and rods and cyls, etc. out and have the Machine work done and do the assembly yourself. It will be a good start. There is just too much to try and learn just to do one engine. What I usually do with someone who wants a hand in their engine is to have the person here for the Tear Down, Inspection, and Inventory of parts needed. Then be here again for the Final Assembly, which happens AFTER the engine has been together and apart several times and EVERYTHING made perfect as possible. The book is a good Guide, but is based on all components being in proper working order. After 60 - 90 years all the little stuff needs to be more fully addressed than the book goes into. Like the fact that the rods are Possibly no longer round at Either end. Or a Cam Bushing has spun. Or the available AM crankpin is too long or too short. Or the valve lifts need rebuilding. Or the valve adjusters need re-surfacing. Or the Distributor needs re-bushing. Or the manifold and carb need the Full Treatment. Or any number of other stuff needs attention. If you want it right. There is simply too much to just give some pointers over the internet. When A Builder builds an engine it has His Fingerprint on it and I would not be comfortable putting my Virtual Fingerprint on an Engine I do not have in my hands.
                            http://laughingindian.com/
                            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                            A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

I can't believe that there aren't more people knocking on your door to learn Danny. If I lived in your neighborhood, I'd gladly bring my junk over to benefit from your "Grease Monkey with some Machinery" methods. The fact that you are willing to let a guy learn and help says a lot.
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X