• Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are right!
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Hello Terry,
      I need your help / advise on a speedometer problem.
      I am a new owner of a 1947 Indian Chief, on a recent trip the rear cable came loose & flopped around
      And took out the valve stem, and had a flat. What I lost was the rear drive adaptor , when it came loose .
      I ordered P/N 396003 end drive for the cable from Starklite .
      The problem is : the cable side has a “square” male end on it .
      The P/N 396003 has a “ round” female .
      My question is , do you have a end drive adaptor that will fit the square cable end?
      Or has some time in the past things been modified & need to be but back to normal?
      Also , will you be at Davenport? I understand you are the best and highly praised on the Corbin units.
      I think I should remove the speedometer and have you go through it this winter for preventive maintenance . it works , but not very stable , and top speed needle does not always reset.
      Thanks for your input .
      Kerry Patchett

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17942[/ATTACH]

kerry patchett

Comment

I think I have it fixed for the time being .
          I reamed / drilled out the adaptor , ground down the square end of cable some until they would fit in each other.
          Then pinched the adaptor to make it a little square .
          hopefully it will hold and drive ok .
          Kerry Patchett

Comment

Good luck ,Kerry, You would have to use Starklight parts.

Comment

HI Mike, I can help you with all of the parts you need. And will be glad to help get another Corbin back on the road. Terry Marsh

Comment

Thank you for the reply Terry. I am sending you a PM to sort out the arrangements.

Comment

Hello Terry

I've got a 40" corbin cable what kind of wehicle dos it fit?

Tom
                  Tom

Comment

Dear Tom, the 1940 Harley parts book shows a 38.5" cable for the 1932-36 VL so you might have one of these. The same book shows 34.5" for the 1930/31 VL, 30.5" for the 1930-34 RL/DL small twins, 36.125" for the 1935/6 RL/WL and 43.5" for the 1932-36 Servicar. If your cable is definitely not one of these, then it would be Indian or a more exotic US make.

Comment

Just say your post on Corbin speedos. I have a 46 Chief and the inner drive cable twisted apart. (Orginal cable) Bought a modern replacemennt. ( no where as staunch) Speedo dial now jumps going up and down. Tried sanding bering surfaces with 600 grit, light oil, graphite. No luck it will not run smooth as before. Any suggestions? ?

Comment

HI Tom, I don't know what a 40" cable would fit.

Comment

I would start by taking the rear drive off and cleaning and lubing it. Make sure it is happy. Look at the new cable? Turn it with a drill ? Then it could be the Corbin ? I do clean up and service work on them.
                          Terry Marsh marsh1915hd@msn.com

Comment

what's the key to identifying original fibre gears folks?

Comment

I'm no expert but have a nos 26 tooth fiber gear which is stamped 26. It is a plain pinky red colour, not as dark as the new ones, and does not have the tiny cross-hatched pattern like the new ones that may be made of circuit board material. I would be happy to use either, but so far have found they are not easy to find, nor inexpensive.

Comment

there've been repops for several decades now so some of these have aged themselves, wondering whether the stampings on the original ones are a different font or something too?

Comment

Working...
                                X