No announcement yet.

Name the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh... I just get a little obsessed with this stuff is all. Glad to hear there is interest in this old iron on other forums.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Yes there is interest when a family member rode back in time.

I've been doing a little bit to promote early riding when the opportunity presetns itself. In Hawaii, there are few of the classic and even less early bikes around.

Met a young fellow at the HD dealership, he advised he was in proces of doing valve lash check on his V Rod. I was in the same process so he asked if he could see what was up with doing this.
      We met because of my Knucklehead sitting in the parking lot and he has interest in early iron. He's in his late 20's.

So we rode yesterday and when we stopped at Punchbowl - Memorial of the Pacific WWII, Korea, Viet-Nam military members memorial , we talked about our ride around Round Top while visiting the cemetary.

He was asking about how the clutch works along with braking as the previous ride is through some great S's and other challenges. So I told him to sit on the bike and I'd show him how to place his feet. He is tall, about 6'6" so he was having some issues but figured it out. My wife said to me, show him how to start the bike, so I did, then once started, said to him, take it around the park for a spin.

Needless to say he got a kick out of it, the same way my son did the first time he rode the bike.

Both came away with the same "I gotta get one of these".

There is a lot of interest with younger riders to be sure, and with that, the more interest, the better.

His next request was "when you do work on the bike, can I hang around to pick up tips on what to do".

Trying to upload vieos to You Tube of the ride mentioned above and if it works I'll post a link shortly. Seeing your avatar, and knowing others are in winter, the ride is through a tropical rain forest and mountains on Oahu.

Thanks again for the help.
      Last edited by ricmoran; 01-02-2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Its a 1912.. 1912 is the only year with the front end reiforcements , the outrigger bars can be seen in the photo. I have the same machine in parts ..

Comment

Mike!!! It's a 1912 what?
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
            Mike!!! It's a 1912 what?
            cory i have never seen a 1912 WHAT
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Hey Ricmoran

I'll run it up the flag pole here at the Museum for you. I does look like a Thor... I'll get back to ya!

Denis
              (Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum)
              J.Denis McCarthy Come visit The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
              www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Just a slight hijack with apologies in advance.... Denis, have you stumbled across the Warwick yet?
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks guys for all you detective work on this.

Comment

Here's a little bit of stuff Ricmo

And here are a couple of links: http://motorklasik.co.cc/tag/thor/

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand...c_AIV_1911.jpg

Hope that helps! See ya in the funny papers!

Denis
                    J.Denis McCarthy Come visit The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
                    www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Hey Denis, thanks for that...lets see which toon are we shooting for?

Comment

I saw a new friends bikes yesterday...He Has a original 1911 single Thor chain drive.... original family owned with the only 1914 Arizona (1st year for bikes to have plates in Az.) License plate I've ever seen he told me his Dad had ridden it to Collage back in 1914 and it quit running they got him a car and hung the bike in the rafters of there machine shop for the next 50 years...it's in a room now with other restored bikes,along side a 8 valve Indian Boardtrack racer a 1911 HD single,a Thor twin and another red Thor single.....currently working on his Henderson inline 4 what a collection just a few miles from my house...lucky man to have thease ...he also won the Famous Riddler (top Hot Rod in the USA) award for his 32 duece coupe a few years back...he's a great man with a vanishing skill....seeing the past and being able to bring it back thanks Jay Tee.....your the best! Dave Boydstun AKA grasshopper

Comment

How about some pics?

Comment

Working...
                          X