Name the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name the bike

A little help, on one of the other MC forums a fellow is asking for help as this is someone from his family. Can anyone advise what make and year this bike is? Only photo available.

Thanks for any info.
    Attached Files

The photo is a little tough to get a good bearing on. If I were to take a guess, I would say it's roughly a 1909-1911 Thor.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

i'm believe thor made belt drives. but i never saw one yet. i need to look through some of my photos when it's not lights, tree and cookies. mmm warm cookies. i'll take a look this week.
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Rob, I believe you are correct. If my memory isn't failing me, 1911 was the last of the belt drives but was only used on the singles that year. I'd sure like to see a pic of one when the festivities are over. Now you've got me craving cookies!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Cory and Rob. Cookes and milk, oh yea.....ginger bread cookies, pecan log rolls with powdered sugar, sugar cookies shaped like a Christmas tree with colored frosting to look like lights and garland. Gee, i just put on 3 pounds talking about it!

Comment

Why the motorcycle was named "Thor"

I understand that the motorcycle was so rough riding and the seat was so uncomfortable that, after riding it any distance at all, you were "tho thor you could hardly thit"!

Happy New Year!
            George Tinkham
            Springfield, IL
            www.virmc.com
            AMCA # 1494
            1941 Indian 841
            1948 Indian Chief
            1956 H-D KHK
            1960 CH
            1964 BMW R69S
            1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
            1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Named after the god of thunder....?
              Lightning bolt in the name aswell......
              AMCA #6151

Comment

the 1911 belt was the articulating frame job, also rebadged as a sears. check out the angle of the top rear legs on the frame. thats a dead giveaway.
                Last edited by jurassic; 12-28-2011, 06:44 PM.
                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Jurassic, so can we agree that the photo of the bike posted is in fact an '11? I just eyeballed a photo of a '10 and you are right, the 1911 frame is a "dead giveaway".
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks guys, I am sure the fellow that asked about this will be happy to understand what bike it is his early family member is on. Best to you in 2012.

Comment

Name that bike

From my information the bike looks like a Miami. The front fork looks indentical. The front fender braces are different than the Miami in my picture though. In my literature the Thors that used the trussed fork as on the Miami used a different type of springing. Tho only ones I've seen with the Miami type suspension have a single blade type fork. Tom Wilcock AMCA 381Miami.jpg

Comment

Tom!!! I was initially swaying toward Miami but thought that the front end on the picture ricmoran posted was a little different and went in the "Thor" direction. When jurassic posted the '11 ad I focused on the frame and paid no more attention to the front end at that point. Sorry ricmoran, I may have led you astray. If it's a Miami, it could be as late as 1916. Here are a few pics of a '15 Miami for a little reference... http://providence-ri.americanlisted...._18633759.html The fork still looks a little different to me. I wish that I could get a better bearing on the engine position. That would clear things up a bit. Goshdarnitt.. I'm stuck!!!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Cory your link shows a 1916 Miami that was for sale and later sold by Dave. The 1915's were all battery models, I beleive, I have a data base with a number of Miami's the latest being a chain drive motor. The picture is my 1916 Magneto model, all the Miami front ends were the springer type unlike the Thors.
                          Attached Files
                          Louie
                          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I was waiting for you to chime in Louie!!! What do you make of the picture that was posted at the start of the thread?
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                              Tom!!! I was initially swaying toward Miami but thought that the front end on the picture ricmoran posted was a little different and went in the "Thor" direction. When jurassic posted the '11 ad I focused on the frame and paid no more attention to the front end at that point. Sorry ricmoran, I may have led you astray. If it's a Miami, it could be as late as 1916. Here are a few pics of a '15 Miami for a little reference... http://providence-ri.americanlisted...._18633759.html The fork still looks a little different to me. I wish that I could get a better bearing on the engine position. That would clear things up a bit. Goshdarnitt.. I'm stuck!!!
                              No need apologize, it is all in good fun. The fellow that asked over at the V Rod forum, most if not all folks over there ride newer Revo technology, so this stuff lightens and brightens their world as well. With that, who knows maybe one or two of them or hopefully more get interested and head this way.

Thanks again for figuring this out for the fellow rider.

Comment

Working...
                              X