ID this motor please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID this motor please

I'm having a hard time getting this one right. I see 1 piece heads & jugs but external lifters. The '16 and up Power Plus had internal lifters. 1915 is my best guess, how close am I? The cam chest looks to be one piece.

Thanks in advance,

~Boone
    Attached Files
    Boone member #15941
    1946 Chief Basket builder
    1939/47 Chief Bobber
    1953 Blackhawk Chief
    1997 HD Roadking

That's an Excelsior "Big Bertha" motor from the late '20s. You have a very desirable motor there.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

hey Boone the Vin # would start with XS if its a super sport model, looks real nice.
      the spring issue of the club mag has Jim Dennie bike in there and page 28 show the pickers with there motor.good luck with it

Billy Campbell
      AMCA #1672

Comment

i think one sold at davenport last year for 30 g's. .you may have the wrong carb. on it.it is hard to tell from your photos. should be an alcohol schebler on it.anyway who cares about the carb pretty damn cool.i was told they sound great when they run
        rob ronky #10507
        www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Not mine yet, I am talking with the current owner about buying it later this week. It's a few hours drive away and I can't get their until Friday, the owner does not speak clearly and types/spells worse.
          He said it has been stored for the past 30 years and has a Schebler DLX on it. I asked about the numbers and he told me it is 2353 in the pad on the left case under the front cylinder.
          Anybody have any idea as to the total number made? So far, with google's help I found one in Rhode Island, The cam chest engraving is the same as the Picker's motor so I think this fella named Dick bought it and there is Jim's bike.

LINK: http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...394-Big-Bertha
          Last edited by Americanrider; 06-28-2011, 04:06 AM. Reason: correction
          Boone member #15941
          1946 Chief Basket builder
          1939/47 Chief Bobber
          1953 Blackhawk Chief
          1997 HD Roadking

Comment

dick shappy bought the one that is in rhode island if you call him he will talk to you. give him a call. his motor was from the pickers
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Boone, did you ever manage to make a deal on this engine?
              Id be interested to know who has it now.
              Cheers Ben

Comment

Working...
              X