No announcement yet.

??? Heathers Leather - Clover SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Lord!! Who appointed Sarge to be the PitBull Here? Someone, please offer him a chill pill - I posted a response and included pictures of the product Wayne charged me good money for. If anyone thinks for a minute that seat is even 25% close to correct, I will let them have the wall hanger - I stated facts, presented photos and completely wrote the bad deal off. Why would Sarge have a problem with pointing out sloppy workmanship on a thread that started with someone asking about the quality of Heathers Leathers? Thanks Chris for your valuable contributions. ------------------------------ I just walked by Sargehere's house, so feel free to jump off the porch and come bite me in the butt!

Comment

Originally posted by 1919dave View Post
      Good Lord!! Who appointed Sarge to be the PitBull Here? Someone, please offer him a chill pill - I posted a response and included pictures of the product Wayne charged me good money for. If anyone thinks for a minute that seat is even 25% close to correct, I will let them have the wall hanger - I stated facts, presented photos and completely wrote the bad deal off. Why would Sarge have a problem with pointing out sloppy workmanship on a thread that started with someone asking about the quality of Heathers Leathers? Thanks Chris for your valuable contributions. ------------------------------ I just walked by Sargehere's house, so feel free to jump off the porch and come bite me in the butt!
      Good! is this like extra innings? or overtime? or a 7th inning stretch?

Comment

Only Seventh inning stretch, I guess. Or maybe it's a Day-Night Doubleheader?

1919, nothing I said was directed at you, or in repudiation of anything you asserted. Neither was it a defense of Wayne Hagler or the quality of his work. A bad job is a bad job, and if Heather's has a reputation, it's for inconsistency, with results ranging all the way from outstanding to terrible! It's amazing how statements are stirred together in a conversation such as this to blend all the points into a stew. My conflict was with one member making untrue (dated) statements that Wayne Hagler and others would use one color thread in recovering old Harley seats and refused, didn't know, the right color. However, in a grown-up society, differences and such dissatisfactions are settled between men, not on the world-wide web. You never did say you said a word directly to Wayne; just paid him your agreed-upon $200 and hung the seat in your shop, and up here for people to laugh at. "to avoid the hassle." Sounds passive-aggressive 2me.

What the REPUTABLE leather seat guyz do nowadays is establish communication with their customers when they receive a package containing the seat they're asked to recover and ASK. One: what color and kind of leather is wanted? and two: what color thread? and go over with them any other pertinent information.

It might be considered a make-or-break point by the customers. When no one "ASSUMES" anything, there is far less chance of disappointment. If your chosen leather guy doesn't call, and just digs right in without any discussion, that just might be a red flag indicating there's troubled ahead. It's also the result of what you might consider a "learning curve." I've had seats done by long-distance years ago that required no communication at all, and I was perfectly satisfied with the results, but also, I know that a lot of hard feelings have been generated by someone making too many assumptions and charging ahead, without the simple precaution of direct, voice communications. What I said was that Wayne Hagler calls his customers, and it's up to the customer to tell him what thread he wants. How well the job is executed is an entirely different story.
        Last edited by Sargehere; 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

My father was a dedicated upholsterer. He taught me a lot about the basics of upholstery. He did it all his life!

I learned a lot about upholstery from my father.

Later in life, I upholstered for several years doing antique automobiles, for Smittys Seat Covers. We specialized in antique autos, motorcycles, and boat covers. Mostly automobiles.

Then I spent another 5 years doing more modern, corporate aircraft upholstery for Allied Aviation which got bought out by General Electric.

I spent another 11 years with Mitsubishi Motors, doing interior installations in automobiles on an assembly line.

I believe I have a simple and easy resolution.........

If you have someone upholster your old motorcycle seat, and you belive the thread should be black, let them know!

If you believe it should be purple, let them know!

It takes about 60 seconds to change thread color, on both the bobbin and spool! (top and bottom stich)

If you fail to request black thread, and its stiched in white, its not a problem!

Simply use a little amount of black shoe polish, on a clean cotton rag, rub it in, wipe it off, and problem cured!

Takes a whole 3 minutes, and you can change the color to whatever you want!

Not a big deal!

So please.......Please dont bash the skilled craftsman, for your preference of thread color!

It can be easily changed with a little black shoe polish if you fail to tell them exactly what you expect!

Put yourself in their shoes.

After all is said and done, its about wind in your face, not the color of your stiching!

Relax and enjoy the ride!

Comment

Here is yet another example of the black/white thread debate:

Looks like white thread to me! Even on the underneath side and original as well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-HUMME...c82df6&vxp=mtr

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
              ...., and if Heather's has a reputation, it's for inconsistency, with results ranging all the way from outstanding to terrible!...
              Your personal experience, or just your hearsay?

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I just purchased a couple of items from Wayne last week. So far I have received one of the two items very quickly. We will see what this next week brings. With regard to Jethro Smith I too have had excellent results from his workmanship. I had him recover a Chummee seat and he did an outstanding job. He was meticulous to research the correct look for the shape, seams, and fringe. This is the most expensive seat I will sit upon, however he did the seat quickly and in a very professional manner.
                I will try to see if I have any pics to put up soon.

Comment

At the risk of rekindling what appeared to be a firestorm back in 2012, I'm curious if anyone has had any dealings with Heathers Leathers recently? I was about to place an order for a set of Locktites for my '47 EL and thought I'd read some reviews and check here. Bottom line is there appears to be more positive than negative comments on the web. And you never know the true motivation for any negative comments. Could be driven purely by a preconceived expectation that was not voiced and then not met.

So, regarding saddlebags specifically, any recent dealings with HL and any comments on your satisfaction?

I reached out to Michael Paquette, but he has not responded. We had an unfortunate business deal that was probably neither party's fault, but because of poor communication and a shipping issue, turned out bad for both of us. So, he might still be not happy with me for the position I took during that incident, which was about 11 years ago. I know he does great work. He did my buddy seat. I'm willing to give him another chance since he did make good.

The Saddle Shop will not do Locktites any longer. Dave Weinberg at Osprey also stopped making them and in Sept of this year, stopped making saddlebags completely. I see V-Twin makes them, but they are not accurate.

Any other recommended vendors for accurately reproduced Locktites? Anyone ever buy a set from that guy in Luxembourg that sells on ebay? I don't normally have a lot of faith in ebay vendors, especially when they are overseas. But the guy could be legit.

Thanks,
                  Rob
                  Regards,
                  Rob Sigond
                  AMCA # 1811

Comment

I've dealt with him (Heathers Leathers) many times and it is always a circus but I have always been happy with his work. He sometimes is slow and once lost my seat for a year but...

Jerry

Originally posted by Snakeoil View Post
                    At the risk of rekindling what appeared to be a firestorm back in 2012, I'm curious if anyone has had any dealings with Heathers Leathers recently? I was about to place an order for a set of Locktites for my '47 EL and thought I'd read some reviews and check here. Bottom line is there appears to be more positive than negative comments on the web. And you never know the true motivation for any negative comments. Could be driven purely by a preconceived expectation that was not voiced and then not met.

So, regarding saddlebags specifically, any recent dealings with HL and any comments on your satisfaction?

I reached out to Michael Paquette, but he has not responded. We had an unfortunate business deal that was probably neither party's fault, but because of poor communication and a shipping issue, turned out bad for both of us. So, he might still be not happy with me for the position I took during that incident, which was about 11 years ago. I know he does great work. He did my buddy seat. I'm willing to give him another chance since he did make good.

The Saddle Shop will not do Locktites any longer. Dave Weinberg at Osprey also stopped making them and in Sept of this year, stopped making saddlebags completely. I see V-Twin makes them, but they are not accurate.

Any other recommended vendors for accurately reproduced Locktites? Anyone ever buy a set from that guy in Luxembourg that sells on ebay? I don't normally have a lot of faith in ebay vendors, especially when they are overseas. But the guy could be legit.

Thanks,
                    Rob

Comment

Thanks for the input, Jerry. I've learned over the years that the vintage motorcycle world seems to draw some real characters. So, you never know what you are getting into. Glad to hear that you were always happy with the end result. I waited way too long for an engine to be rebuilt, but the wait was worth it now that I have it back and the bike running.

Regards,
                      Rob
                      Regards,
                      Rob Sigond
                      AMCA # 1811

Comment

I delivered 2 painted XA pans and 1 WLC pan to Heather's Leathers at Davenport this year and received the finished saddles this week. They are absolutely perfect and the price was by far the best of the quotes I had received. Wayne will be doing all my saddles.
                        Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X