Sportster aluminum rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster aluminum rim

I have a 1964 XLCH that I would like to restore using the optional aluminum rims. Because the rims were pre safety bead all of the ones that I recall used screws to help secure the tire in case of slipping on the rim or possible flats. I think they would tear the vale stem off under hard acceleration and burnouts. The screws are not in the parts books and I think that they were a dealer installed safety item.For a correct restoration should I fill the holes or put the screws back in? I will need to know how this will be viewed by judges before I can complete the wheels.
    Thanks Jim D
    Jim D

Jim D,
    The screws were only in the rear rim on street models. the racers are a different story. And they are factory drilled, not dealer drilled. I have a couple of NOS rims with the holes in them. The even have a small milled flat for the head of the screw. There should not be any question from the judges on them.
    Perhaps some of the Sportster guys know the time frame of their use. Murph?
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie, I had always wondered about that.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Well, I never like to comment on such trivia questions because there is always someone who knows more about these things. My opinion is that the screws didn't start in the rim until later in the sixties, I'll say 1968. So I think 64 rims had no screws. Don't take that to the bank though. Hope this is useful guide.
        1959 XLCH

Comment

I've never owned an early Sportster. I bought a new 71 XLH & a new 72 XLH both with aluminum rims. Neither had screws.
          Jim

Comment

OK, I went back and researched this. The screws were standard from '67 to '69 on both XLH and XLCH with aluminum rear rim. The part number is 1440W and it is a 10-3/8 self tapping screw. So apparently any earlier applications ar dealer or owner mods and the NOS pre-drilled rims i have must have not been available until then.
            Robbie
            Last edited by Rubone; 12-13-2010, 10:01 AM.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Default I've never owned an early Sportster. I bought a new 71 XLH & a new 72 XLH both with aluminum rims. Neither had screws.
              Jim,
              The later ('70 up) deep drop center Borrani rims are a different animal and never had screws.
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you for the information on the rim. The rim I have must have been on a later bike. My XLCH is very original with a very old spray bomb paint job over the original paint. It has the chrome rims on from new but they need plated, so I located two aluminum rims with the correct part #. If my memory is correct the screws were a stainless pan head.
                Jim D

Comment

I have 64 dated aluminum bat rims on my 65 XLCH. Are the screws really necessary if your not doing burn outs? Bob L
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Bob L
                    That is a good question.When I spoke to Bob Buchanan from Buchaanan's Spoke & Rim he thought that the old aluminum rims from then were smaller .in dia. where the bead sets on the rim. He thought Goodyear had made a special tire and that the screws were a fix for the tires of other brands with slightly difference specs used as replacements later.
                    Jim D
                    Jim D

Comment

Bob L
                      That is a good question.When I spoke to Bob Buchanan from Buchaanan's Spoke & Rim he thought that the old aluminum rims from then were smaller .in dia. where the bead sets on the rim. He thought Goodyear had made a special tire and that the screws were a fix for the tires of other brands with slightly difference specs used as replacements later.
                      Jim D
                      That sounds like a mix of two issues, The Special Goodyear tires were for the odd bead profile on '70s era H-Ds. There are service bulletins on that. The rim profile of the earlier Borrani rims are the same as any other rim of the era. And those rims are not unique to H-D. Borrani supplied rims for both Moto Guzzi and Ducati in the exact same profiles and neither of those brands ever used screws. A 750SS put lots more on the ground than a Sportster! They also supplied to the general aftermarket as well as many other brands and models. Plus an untold number of flattrackers, many which did not use screws. I think the screw deal had to do more with American Lawyers than any other issue. JMHO
                      Robbie
                      Last edited by Rubone; 12-13-2010, 06:50 PM.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Bought a 1967 XLCH new and it had screws in rear only. Restored a 1966 XLCH in 2000, changed out steel wheels for aluminum rims because they look so COOL.

Steve
                        Steve Cornish AMCA 6971
                        TO MANY CLEVER PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH WISDOM

Comment

My (then) original 1964 XLCH did have the screws in the rear wheel. By the way - do any of you have a '64 18" aluminum rear rim for sale? I'm now restoring that same bike and I really need to replace the one that I gave away in 1969....
                          Bill Pedalino
                          Huntington, New York
                          AMCA 6755

Comment

I think I have one Bill. Trouble is I'm going to have to buy some snow shoes to get to the storage. I'll see what I can do.
                            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Thanks kyle. Don't catch pnemonia looking for it. Just let me know at your convenience. You can 'Personal Message' me whenever you find it.
                              Bill Pedalino
                              Huntington, New York
                              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                              X