Merkel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All;
    I am currently writing a history of the Miami Cycle Co. that ended up making Flying Merkels as well as others. I'm at fifty pages at this time and hope to finish within the next week or two. It will include some history of Joe Merkel but not all. Of course I'm not a professional writer but I am fascinated by the history and wanted to try and document as much as I could. One interesting fact that I found is that supposedly Miami made ALL the hand grenades used by USA in WW1. Now I know why my Miami exploded the other day.........
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
      i'm only 45 min. from pottstown.before the new year i drive out and see.while i'm there i'll get a beer from the oldest still running brewery in america
      You'll have to go to Pottsville for that - if you're talking about Yuengling.

I'm born and raised in Pottstown, will have to take a look next time I make a run home. For some reason I always thought the factory was on High St down by Hanover.

I believe I have a book that gives the address, not sure. Will need to dig it out.
      Last edited by rbenash; 11-05-2010, 08:52 AM.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Here's an address, but maybe this was the business office:

350-370 S Hanover St.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8N0...page&q&f=false

Page 136

That location was torn down when they built the 422 bypass way back in the 60's or perhaps before. It's not very close at all to the Queen St. address mentioned. Well about 1 mile as a guess since on the other (North) side of the Schuylkill River. This is in the South end (actually SW). The Queen St. location would be more towards the SE i end of town just on the other side of the River. (South of High Street near Charlotte).
        Last edited by rbenash; 11-05-2010, 08:56 AM.
        Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
          Hey Rob, did you click on the satellite view? Looks like we've got an old warehouse at that address... could it be what we've been looking for???

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bi...ed=0CBUQ8gEwAA

mmmm.... in re-reading this thread I had forgotten that Louie said is was torn down........
          Hmm, that's actually Union and Apple St. That factory was there when I was a kid. But if Light was there before that it would have been when Queen St actually ran closer or hit Apple St. The railroad stops that. And Always did in my lifetime. So streets change and all that. It would be good to get hold of some old industry history of Pottstown to check into this stuff. But I'm thinking the original Light/Merkel plant was torn down a long time ago based on the addresses I'm seeing.
          Last edited by rbenash; 11-05-2010, 09:13 AM.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
          X