Merkel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merkel?

So I see the marque of the month on the club calendar is the Flying Merkel, a brand I've always been a bit curious about. I noticed in the little write up at the bottom that the company was founded in Wisconsin and then sold and moved to Ohio. So when were they in business in Pottstown PA?

Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Brian, The Light Manufacturing and Foundry Company of Pottstown, PA bought out Merkel circa 1908 or '09 and built the Merkel-Light for about 3 years. The Company was then sold to Miami Cycle and Manufacturing Company in Middletown, OH.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks, I knew someone here would know that.
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

You are most welcome!! The Merkels are pretty cool bikes and that ol' Maldwyn Jones showed just how good they would run on the track!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I have a 1911 Merkel twin that came out of Pottstown. Historians say that the Miami concern purchased Merkel in May of 1911 and then moved everything to Middletown, Ohio. I would be curious if anyone knows more specific dates about when these things happened. I visited a friend who lived in Middletown, Ohio back in the early 1980's. We drove past the Miami factory building and had I known that I would own a Merkel some day, I would have procured a souvenier. At that time the building was partially occupied. I was told it had been a sheet metal factory, and later a cigarette factory, and finally, a neglected, and un-recognized eyesore. Does anyone know if the Pottstown, and Milwaukee buildings are still standing?
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Great story Eric!! Here's a link that may be worth reading... http://www.theflyingmerkel.com/themerkel.htm
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

if you know the address you can google earth it. that will show you a sattelite view.you can get pretty dam close up with the little guy you move around.walked him by my house.you can see the dog and grill in the back yard.how they got it i don't know. check it out.
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Eric, I have some of the bricks from the Middletown factory that were given to me by a local member when they tore it down. I was born in Middletown and raised near by but haven't lived close the last 30 years. I have a Miami Power Bicycle with a couple spare motors and a nice Miami bicycle also. I'll give you one of the bricks if you want it, they were given to me so I don't mind giving it away to a fellow Miami enthusiast. I can bring it to Eustis, I always set up right at the far end of the open pavilion. I also have a lot of the original literature from Miami one letter being from the president of the company to the shareholders when the were going out of business in 1922 or 1923. I think they stopped making motorcycles in 1916 or '17 and bicycles in 1923.

It's funny that I tell people I have a Miami and they have no idea what it is until I tell them it's the same company that made the Flying Merkels. Another weird story is my dad worked at the old factory as a welder when it was a machine shop in the mid 50's.
                Louie
                FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I see Joseph Merkel went to the Light Mfg. co., Did he also follow along to Miami? What did he do after that?

I don't live to far from Pottstown, Have to put that on my list of things to go for a ride for. Spend a nice Saturday looking for the old Merkel factory.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Louie, that is very thoughtful of you and would be something I would treasure. I hope this thread gets more input from members who know these locations and can give us some background and 'color' that will help bring these places to life. Books and pictures are great but it's the first person stories that really keep the history alive.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
                      I see Joseph Merkel went to the Light Mfg. co., Did he also follow along to Miami? What did he do after that?

I don't live to far from Pottstown, Have to put that on my list of things to go for a ride for. Spend a nice Saturday looking for the old Merkel factory.
                      Brian, I don't have the info in front of me so forgive me if the accuracy is found to be a little flawed. It seems to me that Merkel did land in Ohio and stayed on until around 1914. He later developed and patented the Merkel Motor Wheel. Sometime in the '20's he ventured to Rochester, NY and was involved with development for the Cyclemotor Corporation. I'm in the process of doing some renovating in my house and the info that I would just normally look up for dates and such is packed up and put away at the moment.

Oh, and if you do happen to stumble upon that old Merkel factory would ya take a pic or two so us faraways can see it???
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
                        rob ronky #10507

Comment

union st. queen st. pottstown pa.it's pretty close to oley.
                          http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bi...ed=0CBUQ8gEwAA
                          i quess there is no perk. chapter members here.i would think one of them can say "still around or not"
                          rob ronky #10507

Comment

Hey Rob, did you click on the satellite view? Looks like we've got an old warehouse at that address... could it be what we've been looking for???

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bi...ed=0CBUQ8gEwAA

mmmm.... in re-reading this thread I had forgotten that Louie said is was torn down........
                            Last edited by c.o.; 10-17-2010, 07:07 PM.
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

i'm only 45 min. from pottstown.before the new year i drive out and see.while i'm there i'll get a beer from the oldest still running brewery in america
                              rob ronky #10507

Comment

Working...
                              X