No announcement yet.

Modern battery for KHK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from a biker party ~25 miles south of here. At the end of September, I led a pack to my brother's place in Western Illinois (~270 miles) for an overnight camp with fantastic food and rustic accommodations. The KHK and its battery held up wonderfully for both trips. Even after an electrical short completely drained the battery earlier this year, it has bounced back and works great. One concession to more modern times is that I am using a Cycle Electric solid state voltage regulator. The modern battery and voltage regulator allow the 6 volt system to do a great job. Well, the horn sounds a bit asthmatic, but the rest works fine.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Well, it has been 5 years, and the battery I had custom made for my KHK has crapped out. I'm going to see if I can gut the shell without destroying it. If I can, I'll stuff the strongest (in terms of amp hours) power cells I can find into it. I'll also ask Great Plains Cycle Supply what they recommend. Does anyone have an idea if a lithium ion battery makes sense?
      George Tinkham
      Springfield, IL
      www.virmc.com
      AMCA # 1494
      1941 Indian 841
      1948 Indian Chief
      1956 H-D KHK
      1960 CH
      1964 BMW R69S
      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

I had trouble connecting with Great Plains; so, I bought an H3 battery from Kirk at Sporty Parts [(800) 701-2925]. I also bought an H3 shell from Al at www.HarleyHummer.com here in Springfield, IL. The battery from Sporty Parts held up fine last weekend when our antique motorcycle club (Vintage Iron Riders) went on our annual overnight run to the wilds of Western Illinois. The batteries on a couple of other antique/vintage bikes crapped out on the run, but my KHK's battery made me proud. When the battery finally gives up the ghost, I will use the new shell I bought and stuff a modern 6V battery in it for more years of spirited riding and camping.
        George Tinkham
        Springfield, IL
        www.virmc.com
        AMCA # 1494
        1941 Indian 841
        1948 Indian Chief
        1956 H-D KHK
        1960 CH
        1964 BMW R69S
        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

It has been less than a year since I installed the aftermarket H3 battery in my KHK, and I need to replace it. It will hold a charge, but it will not hold acid! It leaks enough at the positive terminal to dissolve the connector and wire - breaking the electrical connection. I found this out on a club ride this past Saturday. I made it all the way out and most of the way home. I have been pushing Harleys and Indians home for over 50 years now, and it is no more fun now than when I was 19.

Now, I have inserts wired in parallel bought from Mister Battery in a shell I bought from www.HarleyHummer.com. Once I put new terminal connectors on the wires damaged by acid, and reconnect everything, the Harley should be ready for the road.

BTW, I am fairly certain that the old battery leaked at the positive post because of the acid damage at that location. Also, the absorbent on the top of the battery did not test acidic -- which it should have if the battery were overcharged and spewed acid through the vent holes.
          George Tinkham
          Springfield, IL
          www.virmc.com
          AMCA # 1494
          1941 Indian 841
          1948 Indian Chief
          1956 H-D KHK
          1960 CH
          1964 BMW R69S
          1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
          X