No announcement yet.

Sidecar Forum Section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any of you sidecar gurus know anything about a Velorex 562 and the compatability to a 69 FLH?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil74 View Post
      Do any of you sidecar gurus know anything about a Velorex 562 and the compatability to a 69 FLH?
      Yeah, what I know of it, forget it. It's too d*mn light. Can be done, but don't expect you'll like it. Just a warning!
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Kind of what I was expecting, did an internet search and some happy some disappointed.Still searching for brothers FLH.

Comment

Neil, Stick to a real Harley sidecar to get satisfaction. Literally, designed to bolt right up and go. They're not that hard to piece together if you have to do that. They made um to fit your bike back allaway back to 1936. Also, the "Dutch Shoe" metal body just looks right, also has provision for a brake. And you can use the '58 juice brake parts on a rigid/mech. brake chassis.

Don't be afraid to look into sidecar frame made for a rigid frame bike. They bolt right up to the early swingarm with a bushing, and, tho it "looks" funny as hell, and squirrelly, and "this can't be right!" it works. I ran one for years.
          All the parts interchange for over 30 years, and L&W Body, Merle Wolfe of Duncannon, PA, makes everything you might need to finish one.
          Gerry Lyons #607
          http://www.37ul.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thanks that opens the playing field alot. Funny thing when I wasn't looking they seemed to be everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Neil74 View Post
              Hi Neil,
              Sarge hit it square on the head, the velorex is an extremely light sidecar it would be fine for 500cc bikes but NOT for a 69 flh not to mention that the mounting hardware that comes with them is less than desireable to use, some people usually end up reworking the mounts or making stouter ones that won't loosen up.

Like sarge said look for a HD car or another aftermarket choice would possiably be a liberty sidecar made in Washington State these look like the 36 to 67 HD cars also but come with a real working disc brake http//:libertysidecars.com

On another note Harley Davidson has stopped taking orders for sidecars due to the lack of orders and seem to be pushing the trikes
              Last edited by Chuck#1848; 08-01-2010, 07:04 PM.
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Never gave that one a thought.......

Originally posted by servicardenise View Post
                Way cool, I like it "Servicar Jockeys", who would have thought?
                What are you when you ride both?
                Maybe a hacked servicar jockey?
                Denise

Good point Denise ya got me on that one............
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

SIDECAR FORUM / EXCELLENT IDEA!

I have acquired many sidecars over the years simply by fascination or default. My kids would flip a coin for their turn at shotgun if my wife wasn't interested in a ride. We used my shovelhead sidecar as a mobile toolbox until I installed a package truck on a VL.

When I decided to liquidate a couple sidecars to reclaim floorspace I discovered the difficulty locating a few missing parts. I have provided leaf spring sets, brake control parts and fenders for JD and VL for years, but now I need some mounts and small brake parts where do I look? First I visited my local vintage bike shops, then contacted all JD/VL suppliers in my address book nationally and finally located some of the necessary parts by email. Not like it used to be with sidecar parts lying around at every swap meet and on Ebay.

A sidecar and servicar forum could be a vital addition for the AMCA Forum. It would help promote acquisition, preservation, maintenance and safety in operation of all vintage three wheeled machines. A parts vendor list, offerings of associated literature and names of known afficionados could make the process considerably more attractive for all potential enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by TFEESER View Post
                    SIDECAR FORUM / EXCELLENT IDEA!

I have acquired many sidecars over the years simply by fascination or default. My kids would flip a coin for their turn at shotgun if my wife wasn't interested in a ride. We used my shovelhead sidecar as a mobile toolbox until I installed a package truck on a VL.

When I decided to liquidate a couple sidecars to reclaim floorspace I discovered the difficulty locating a few missing parts. I have provided leaf spring sets, brake control parts and fenders for JD and VL for years, but now I need some mounts and small brake parts where do I look? First I visited my local vintage bike shops, then contacted all JD/VL suppliers in my address book nationally and finally located some of the necessary parts by email. Not like it used to be with sidecar parts lying around at every swap meet and on Ebay.

A sidecar and servicar forum could be a vital addition for the AMCA Forum. It would help promote acquisition, preservation, maintenance and safety in operation of all vintage three wheeled machines. A parts vendor list, offerings of associated literature and names of known afficionados could make the process considerably more attractive for all potential enthusiasts.

Hi Tom,

If you scroll down on the forum section to "other manufacturers" the first listing is for Sidecars and 3 wheelers If you started a thread there with your ideas for people providing parts people could be pointed in that direction.
                    Some people have been there looking for tips and answers to their questions
                    Chuck
                    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Good I Dear Chuck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 47 flathead View Post
                        Good I Dear Chuck!!!
                        We need to make it a bit more active
                        Chuck
                        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...