K-model fork tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-model fork tubes

Are `52 K-model tubes the same as 1954-72 (33.4mm). If not, what is different?
    Member# 7397

In looking at my parts books, 45953-52 fit 52-54. 45953-55 fit 55-57 and maybe later, its a 57 book. Don't have a 60's sporty book but the book for my 71 lists 45953-71 as 71-72. Don't know what the differences are.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I'll check my books, I have all the K parts books, but I think the difference is the length. There are different damper rods and tubes for the high ground clearance, low ground clearance, and also for the later lowered frame if I recall. The earliest Ks were 19" wheels and then dropped to 18". Those changes affected the fork length. I'll try to find the differences and post them.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks. Mine is 52K1340. Early or late?
        Member# 7397

Comment

olddaze,
          Your K is definitely early. It should have 19" wheels and the rear hub should be flat flanges, not folded like a later KH or Sportster type. The '52 parts book only lists 19" wheels in chrome or cadmium. During the Korean war there was a worldwide chromium shortage so many thing came painted or cad plated that otherwise would have been chrome. The tubes have a change in '55 that has to do with length. The internal damper rods changed in '55 and the so do the tubes. The tire/rim size changed in '54 to 18" and I believe the fork got longer in '55 due to clearance problems. Without NOS parts to compare I can only speculate based on the parts changes and related parts. I know in '55 the crash bar changed because of clearance issues.I will also look in my shop dopes for any additional info. I am comparing a '52, '54 '56' and '57 original parts books. Also all the new model "Enthusiasts "
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

As with most things over almost 60 years. She's not stock anymore. Sporting over length tubes and a 19" front with a 16" rear. I think they are stock hubs. Most of the rest of the bike is striped/stock, Kinda strange really. On one hand there is over tubes, passenger pegs on the shock tops, fork tins gone, front fender gone, signs of high flake purple paint on frame, and for some reason they removed the top motor mount from the frame (the only frame mod).
            On the other hand. Stock oilbag and coil cover/toolbox,Still 6V, bone stock motor, M-53 bombsight carb, No raked/hardtailed frame, waffle grips and stock handlebars.
            Of all my bikes and projects, I wish this one could talk because I have a feeling she had a strange life.
            I know there are alot of stock/resto type people here and I'm not one of them. Relax, I'm not planning on cutting her up, but there is just too much missing for me to return to a full-on resto. The plan is to rebuild the mill/trans and build what would look more like a KR racer that is somewhat street legal. Thinking KR hardtail section, Ceriani front, Aluminum rims and KR oilbag.
            Member# 7397

Comment

Sorry, I don't have a good outside shot.
              Member# 7397

Comment

It can be done.

This is what I started with. 56 KHK basket.

This is what I ended up with.
                Dave Swanson
                1956 FLH
                1969 FLH
                1964 XLCH
                1956 KHK
                1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

Wow! I could stare at your bike all day long.
                  Is my front hub stock?
                  Member# 7397

Comment

olddaze,
                    Your front hub first appeared in '64. It was the first full width hub. The correct one is like Dave's. Those are correct '52 handlebars though! There are lots of wrong bits for sure mixed in with the few correct ones. Your KR replica plan sounds fine, although I personally would keep the rear suspension. One of the reasons I am so crippled now is rigid frames then!
                    Robbie
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

k hub

Originally posted by olddaze View Post
                      Wow! I could stare at your bike all day long.
                      Is my front hub stock?
                      hi old daze I had to break up my 53 k and still have the front wheel and hub and frame left drop me a line if you need anything thanks billy

Comment

Working...
                      X