Panhead leather bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead leather bags

Some time ago I had a nice set of replica bags made to fit my 1950 Pan. Since my 1950 rear fender needed a lot of work, which I just finished, I have just now put them on. I have never run bags before, and have a couple questions for those more knowlegeable on the subject than I. The left-hand bag fits pretty good, and the right would too, if not for the tool box. Looking at factory photos, I see that the right side bag appears to be "scrunched" against, over and around the tool box. So it is on mine, but it just seems that it really has to be tortured to fit around the tool box, and then the bag is crammed against the crash bar. Looks like it would fit better if the bottom angle brace was removed from the bag, but it should fit with it on? Am I missing something here? Do the bags just need to be broken in to fit better? The mounting holes in the fender are as high as possible with-out going into the flange on the wire channel, and the rear hole is 3/4" from the joint between the front and rear fender sections. The tool box location checks out OK, and the mount hole on the tool box lines-up fine with the hole in the fender, spacer is installed. I think everything is where it's supposed to be and the bags look to be in the proper location according to the factory photos, but I'm just not comfortable calling it good, unless I'm sure this is as good as it gets. Also wondered if the extra length on the tie down straps is supposed to be trimmed after they are wrapped around the frame/fender braces and buckled.
    Thanks, Doug
    Doug McLaughlin #6607
    NorCal, USA

I took the tool box off my '51FL because it did make the right side bag fit better and I figured I now had 50 times the tool box capacity. I didn't trim any of the straps.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Here is where the holes in your fender should be.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        Thanks Chris,
        It looks like everything is where it's supposed to be, maybe I'm just getting too anal about how the bags should fit. The whole design seems real p-poor to me. As you can see this is no show bike, so I guess I'll put 'em back on and keep riden' untill the bags match the rest of the bike.
        Doug.
        Doug McLaughlin #6607
        NorCal, USA

Comment

I like your bike,,,and your anvil.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I like your bike,,,and your anvil.
            Thanks Chris,
            This ol' Pan is rougher looking than most bikes I've owned over the years, But in a way I've come to kind of like it that way. And you know, a good anvil is hard to find these days, this one used to belong to my Grandfather. My shop is crammed full of project vehicles, parts and "stuff", so I didn't have a very good backround for a quick pic! BTW, I put the bags back on last night, and the fit doesn't seem as bad now that I've had some time to get used to it.
            Doug.
            Doug McLaughlin #6607
            NorCal, USA

Comment

Chris, I will need to drill holes in my fender for leather bags (52 PAN). Can you give me an aprox measurement to locate that first hole (rear, distance from split and distance up from bottom).

Comment

Forgot about this thread, Chris. You come up with the best pictures. Thank you for posting that, even though it's 11 years old
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                X