Capriolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capriolo

Are there any Capriolo owners in this group? I picked up a 1959? 125cc Capriolo in original condition but in need of a restoration. This is obviously a barn fresh bike, but theres Italian beauty underneath all that grime. I paid $300 for it at a swapmeet and as I was rolling it back to my spot, another guy said "Hey, want another one of those little italian things?". I said yeah, sure, and ended up buying a 58? MDS 70cc bike in about the same condition for other $250.

Scott Larson
    AMCA #13589
    Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
    1971 HD FLH
    1971 Triumph Bonneville 650
    1973 Norton Commando 750

So, what do you know about the Capriolo, in particular? And what about the name Caproni?

I was visiting a museum in Germany (in a church!), and they had this bike on display, but knew just about nothing about it or the manufacturer. I suspect that this bike is a bit older than your single, based on the frame construction. And although the badge is the same as your Capriolo, it is called a Caproni. I'd love to know a bit more about these bikes...

Trento is a city in Italy in the far north, just below the Alps and Dolomites, on the main road to Austria. I have a friend who lives there, but he has never heard of this marque.
    Last edited by darrylri; 01-06-2009, 08:12 AM.
    --Darryl Richman
    Follow my 2012 Cannonball Blog!
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Comment

riverside

i believe i had one of those Capriolos one time badged as a Monkey-Ward an Riverside, its gone down the road a long time ago so thats all i know

Comment

Do a search in the back issues section of "The Classic MotorCycle" Magazine. it lists an article in '95 and another in '97 on Capriolos. I should have both issues but it would take time to find them. I could scan them for you as long as there is no rush. All I am able to do right now is shovel snow!!
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Caproni is not the same company as Capriolo. I believe Capriolo was manuf between 1948-1963. From what I have read so far, Cosmopolitan motors bought about 1200 of them when they went bankrupt in about 1959? and sold them over the next several years. I believe all those 1200 bikes were manufactured in 59. Capriolo is a type of deer in Italy. Maybe Caproni is a different species I dont know.
          Montgomery Wards sold Benellis under the name of Riverside. Sears sold Gileras and Puch. I dont know of any Capriolo sold in the states other than by Cosmo.
          Rub, any article you can find would be great, thanks!
          Scott Larson
          AMCA #13589
          Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
          1971 HD FLH
          1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Yes, a Wards Riverside was a Benelli. I had one of those (a '67 350cc single) very briefly once, and even so, I have several good stories from it. After Wards stopped carrying them, you could get parts from Cosmopolitan Motors.

I will be interested to see anything anyone has on either Capriolo or Caproni. It's pretty odd that they have pretty much exactly the same logo...?
            --Darryl Richman
            Follow my 2012 Cannonball Blog!
            http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Comment

Capriolo

I have a 1960 Capriolo 100 that I've had in my barn for over 20 years. I've had a hard time finding any parts for it. Rarely parts come up on eBay but they go for crazy prices. Has anyone had luck finding parts or bikes at swap meets?

Comment

I've contacted Cosmopolitan Motors and they have parts for the Capriolos, along with a lot of other small Italian bikes.
                Scott Larson
                AMCA #13589
                Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
                1971 HD FLH
                1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Capriolo Engine needed.

I bought what I believe is a 1958 Capriolo 75cc bike that was completely submerged in the Sept. 2013 flooding in Colorado. It is cosmetically complete but missing the engine/trans assembly, the #'s 37210 are stamped on the left side of the frame. Does any one have any leads where an engine might be found???? If not I think it just becomes another garage conversation piece. Or is anyone interested?
                  Brad Willert
                  AMCA#7288
                  Phantom Canyon Chapter

Comment

Working...
                  X