'64 XLCH Tach Cable Ass'y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 XLCH Tach Cable Ass'y

I'm looking for an inner and outer tachometer cable assembly for my 1964 XLCH. Tachometers came as an accessory item in 1964 as a kit with a '62 part number. I haven't been able to locate the cables, but I do have a very nice tach, a bracket and the magneto drive gear. I do have access to a 1965 (Fork Nut-Mounted) cable, but my guess is that it might be a little short.

Does anyone have a line on this cable. If not, possibly a speedo shop that can either make one or modify some exsting assembly?? Also, it looks like I may need one for my 1970 CH (distributor-top) tach as well.

By the way - It's always a pleasure to tap into the club's cumluative knowledge base. No matter how long I'm in this business (and it' a LONG time), I always learn and/or acquire something from this forum. Also, it's always a pleasure to answer qusetions from others and participate as well. Much appreciation and MANY thanks to those AMCA members who formulated and maintain this forum and to those who are so generous with their experience and knowledge. VERY WELL DONE !!

Bill Pedalino
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

V-Twin part number 36-0513 is listed as a replacement for the 92069-67 cable that fits 1965-1969 machines
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for the Info Chris. I had already seen that part in Ted's catalogue. My concern is that the '62 - '64 tach mounting position (directly between the handlebars and above the handlebar clamp) would not accommodate the 1965 cable assembly. Do you think that this is an incorrect assumption??
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

I have recently been informed that the length of the '67 through '69 magneto Tach cable will work. If you think of it, it makes sense given the location of the tachometer in '64 and '69. Now, to find a real H.D. assembly to avoid a Taiwan knock-off. Anyone have one for sale or trade?

However...... (here's the rub)... I am also informed that the '64 tach cable was bare metal - not vinyl coated. I bought my '64 XLCH in 1968 and, of course stripped it and gave everything away. While I remember the speedo cable being bare, I do not remember a bare tach cable. Is this the case?

Should the proper tach cable be bare steel, I would think that a coated outer cable would be made of mild steel and running bare would present rust problem, so I guess that I would cad or nickel plate it. Has anyone had similar experience and know if you can just strip off the vinyl cover and plate the outer cable??

Thanks,
        Bill Pedalino
        Last edited by billpedalino; 11-09-2008, 04:11 PM.
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill, the '65 tach cable will work, but is 2 1/2" longer than the cable used from 62 to 64. In 64 the tach cable would have had the same finish as the speedo cable although a smaller diameter. Original cables for the 62-64 are extremely rare as you have found out. I have a NOS HD cable that was part of the 92050-62A Tachometer Conversion Kit that has the black sheath. My opinion is that by the late 60's if you went to your HD parts counter and ordered a replacement tach cable it would have had the black sheath. I have given some thought to stripping the sheath also, and cad plating if necessary. But my current stance is, I will leave it as is and take the 1/4 pt. deduction if that is what the judge decides. There is the option of having a custom cable made up. There are specialty shops that can accomplish this.
          Dave Swanson
          1956 FLH
          1969 FLH
          1964 XLCH
          1956 KHK
          1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

Dave -

VERY good information!! I am now shamlessly driven to ask if you would you do me the favor of giving me the lengths of the inner and outer cables from the 92050-62A kit? This way, should I go to a speedo shop for a new cable, or to modify a '65 cable I know exatly what to ask for.

Do you know of any shops that do this kind of work?

Thanks,\Bill
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill, the overall length of the outer cable is 32". I know there is a speedo shop in California that custom winds cables, but I don't have the name. I am sure there are others capable of this also.
              Dave Swanson
              1956 FLH
              1969 FLH
              1964 XLCH
              1956 KHK
              1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

Bill you just missed a 62 cable new in the pack. The orignal on my 65 was bare metal. The factory replacments there after were coated. I myself would not run the inner cable. It's a disaster whating to happen. That bullshict gear in the mag is bad news. Bob
                AMCA #3149
                http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Bob,

You are 100% correct about the tach drive gear - I fell victum to the stripped rotor worm gear and corresponding ruined cam gear soon after I first bought this bike in 1968. However, I wanted to have ALL the correct parts, even though my intention is to remove the inner cabe and drive gear.

Bill
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                  X