No announcement yet.

*** Cleveland Motorcycle Information Needed ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks to be a Cleveland, I wasn't certain until I started reading this thread.Cleveland.jpg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Now that looks a sweet ride , so does the bike !!!! pondering the small round tank on top of the petrol tank makes methink it's a battery box for battery lighting as there are wires coming from it and the "headlight" !!? looks electric . Cannot see much of the bike but looks as though it has a decompressor atop and front of the cylinder which would make it 1917 or 18 , love the 'crash hat' , nice pic , thanks , Ken
      Last edited by Ken Lee; 10-31-2011, 11:37 AM.
      Ken

Comment

Hi Tom,
        I am also searching for info on a 1919 Cleveland. I am looking for info on the magneto, what brand/model was used? I am from Cleveland Ohio & know of 2 (not for sale) & will be visiting both in the very near future. What info do you need?

Skip Brolund

Comment

Originally posted by skipsoldbikes View Post
          Hi Tom,
          I am also searching for info on a 1919 Cleveland. I am looking for info on the magneto, what brand/model was used? I am from Cleveland Ohio & know of 2 (not for sale) & will be visiting both in the very near future. What info do you need?

Skip Brolund
          Hello Skip , my 1919 sparks are suplied by a Berling Magneto , starts easy and runs well . Ken
          Ken

Comment

Thank you! As it turns out, there is one in the Crawford Auto/Aviation museum in Cleveland Ohio & one in the AMA Museum. I went to see the blue one at the Crawford museum today & was able to take many photos & was able to see that it too has the Berling mag!

I rebuild Lucas & BTH mags mostly & own Nortons, but a magneto rebuilding friend in France from Brightspark magnetos is trying to help a Frenchman with a 1919 Cleveland that was originally owned by his grandfather. It currently has a twin cylinder mag on it with one plug wire earthed. He would like to get a correct mag for it. The quest begins

Skip Brolund

Comment

OOH !! Nice to know another lightweight Cleveland on this side of the pond . I'll keep eyes open but think Berlings are more rare here than in the USA . I'm sure there will be other mags that fit but nice to hear a mag has been adapted . Better to have it running with the wrong mag than sitting in a garage waiting for the correct one !
              Ken

Comment

Thanks Ken! The mag on the bike isnt working, so if we can find the correct one, great, if not, perhaps a period Bosch might work nicely? What model Berling mag is on your Cleveland? I have been helping third hand on this bike so far, but will probably hear directly from the owner in the next few days. I'll keep you posted & thanks again!

Comment

Hello Skip , any single cylinder mag will work so long as is the correct center height . my Berling has no model number on it just a set of numbers that I pesume are just registration numbers , 114140 with the '0' being overstamped with a 1 , ?? may have been a mistake in the factory stamping ? Have you any pictures from the museum one ?? Ken
                  Ken

Comment

Hi Ken, thank you very much! The one in the Crawford Auto/aviation museum In Cleveland, Ohio USA has a Berling mag & the one in the American Motorcycle Association hall of fame in Westervill,e Ohio USA has an American Bosch mag.
                    I took some pics with my camera phone at the Crawford Museum:

http://s306.photobucket.com/user/ski...?sort=2&page=1

Comment

Great to see some more pics of Clevelands Skip , many thanks , best of luck finding a mag , I haven't forgotten either , let you know if I do find one , Ken
                      Ken

Comment

Working...
                      X