No announcement yet.

Why not let anyone post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to disagree, BUT when we launched a new forum for old american bikes (at www.caimag.com) we already signed up over 1000 members in three months. And little of no spam or fistfights have surfaced yet.

Sure some spam gets posted, but we have a program to hold it off line until it is checked by a moderator. It is either approved or removed.

Want to see how it works, stop on by and have a peek.

Yes, this is a private club and we can do what ever we, as a collective group, wish. But I would hope we use this as a recruiting tool, not one to exclude fellow enthusiasts.

Just my two cents.

Comment

I always get criticized for this but why do we want this to be a huge club ? This is a niche interest. More members will just dilute the intimacy and personal touch that's been with the AMCA for so many years. We're not the AMA and never will be. The people that are truely interested in "Antique" motorcycles will easily find us.

Comment

I think Eric has a point, besides old bikes,I've also been involved with old cars for many years, and used to really look forward to car events, now everyone is a "car guy" and there are "car shows"everywhere you look, (and full of cars that aren't that old, unique or interesting), and frankly the whole scene has become watered down to where it is boring. I remember a lot of car guys a few years back saying there was a need to get more people interested in cars, well now they are, and prices for parts and machines have gone through the roof ( sound familliar?). I know a lot of guys around my area that have old bikes, but are not interested enough to join a club, or attend a meet ( yes, I have asked them to join, & or attend a meet). These are guys that have newer bikes that they ride, and the old bike is just not a serious interest to them ( but they won't sell it). I think this site is fine, I also like Buzz's site, and I'm glad it is succesfull. I go on often and I see a lot of familiar names/handles from this site. I think we should let each site be what it is, if not, why have more than one site? I hope my random ramblings didn't stray too far off the topic.
        Doug.

Comment

Personally I like this forum just the way it is. By keeping it for members it not only keeps the riff-raff out but I think the information gathered here is more credible and reliable than what I see on other boards. This isn't a site for guys who think old bikes are the cool thing of the moment, it is a site for those of us who consider the collecting and restoring of antique motorcycles at least a major hobby if not an outright passion.
          Brian

Comment

Well, I can think of one "riff-'raff" you let in.....me.

While I thought I was rather new to the "old bike" scene, I've come to realize that by virtue of having the same bike for over 30 years, I'm in whether I knew it or not. But everyone has a different value of "old". I skip from a '27 to a '72 to a pair of '79s......

Even though most of the posts don't apply directly to my bikes, I find great value in reading others views and comments. This forum is of great pleasure to me, and a wealth of information. Please don't change anything.

Comment

Isn't this website for club members? Then what is there to question about it?
              Mike

Comment

sorry Rickeieio, present company excluded of course.
                Brian

Comment

""sorry Rickeieio, present company excluded of course""

So you include yourself as the riff-raff? At least I'm in good company.

And I agree that allowing members only is a good idea. Even though I joined before finding this forum, it would be worth the price of admission.

Comment

Howdy Chaps,

Now seeing a response to this growing blog by a knowledgeable member of the news media (Buzz, that be you!) I’m hoping to keep the balance of balloting here by casting an ardent vote for our current format with a long winded diatribe to give that vote some oomph. So here goes….

Two themes – caimag’s objective for a forum as opposed to ours and the significance of the “niche” factor Eric so accurately points out.

American Iron like all the more credible motor oriented (Autoweek, Car and Driver, Road & Track etc..) publications has embraced the concept of a more personalized reader participation experience by operating a bboard or supplemental content (sc) site to draw/cement subscribers. Unfortunately, as entertainment – let’s define this level of 2 wheeled enthusiasm as about a 4 on a 10 scale of total devotion/obsession with the subject - sells better mainstream than mind numbing technical drivel to a larger demographic. Commercially based magazines, held to captive to the economy-of-scale business model, in the main have to stick primarily to just that. In essence, a mag operated blog or sc site enables a demographic that initially arrived on the print side looking primarily for entertainment to get a larger helping of the same and feel like they’re connecting with like minded folks via a forum. I’ve lurked and occasionally posted at caigmag and content depth is generally light on the tech side and follow up minimal but that demographic seems perfectly happy with it - expectations met for those who may have read the print version casually in the airport book store, gone to the forum, liked it, turned around and subscribed or vice versa – mission accomplished.

Not so here, this club is the intense focal point on the planet for quantifiable information on antique (primarily American) m/c’s and motorcycling in general, and from a very participatory standpoint – equally people and machines. This site augments our core activities – especially now for the snow-bound chaps in off riding season. Correspondingly, most new guys arrive here with more questions than answers and are dumbstruck by the quality of those answers provided by a bevy of experts whose depth of knowledge is nearly unfathomable to them. They are grateful to get it. Not taking advantage of our position, our bargaining chip is a mere $30 a year for them (us) to tap into a knowledge base that collectively exists nowhere else. Not only do we cover entertainment but more profoundly, education in the form of rare docs/photographs (how about this stream of killer bike pics Eric and Barry are tossing up like a fireworks display?), personal experiences and credible tips on restoration. One could say this is the home of the 6 to 10’s on the scale … what Eric politely refers to as a niche interest. Exclusionary? At $30, I think not: cable TV’s over a $100 a month, a run of the mill speedometer $1,200 and Gunga Din sold as an incomplete basket case last week for $225,000. Let's keep our context here, even though primarily none profit, we're not beholden to the "no child left behind" theme for the old bike world.

Anyone can view our posts. If the quality of the content therein is not evidence of enough value to convert prospects into enthusiastic members (and thus give us a chance to make them more rabid) then one has to question to what extent we want to reach out to accommodate the casually interested at the risk of driving off - or affirming why they should remain - current knowledgeable members at/to peripheral web sites. Viewing this site as a conversation, regardless of the endeavor, “niche” guys at the apex will always seek out like minded individuals in any gathering and be far more conversant in that setting. If we’re smart, less knowledgable/experienced like myself will let them talk freely without interruption …or they’ll just wander off and start over somewhere else without us.

As an extension of our magazine, even now, this site in its formative stages remains a delightful sanctuary away from the “How would 30 over forks look on my xx, or my xxx e gave me this old xxx, what’s it worth/just wanted to give y’all first crack at it before Ebay” posts. Let’s not dilute what we’re building here by going to an open door policy. Rather, let’s figure out how to capture/embrace member online content or postings elsewhere (Virtual Indian.org, Flathead Power, personal site etc..) to bring even greater value to this site and our club – that’ll draw more of the type individuals that can carry this club into the future: the ones destined to be “niche”, they just don’t know it yet!

Comment

That was extreamly well thought out and put together Peter. I would like to expand on a couple of points you brought up. The brain trust in this club has always had me in awe, but even better than that is the knowledge that is freely shared by these people. We are the beneficiaries of this knowledge which is just as valuable as anything on eBay. If this forum ever turned into a battleground of sophomoric, immature trash talk like you find on most internet forums, you would see the talent on this forum disappear. It only takes one fool to ruin a debate or an intellectual exchange. Smart people won't play that game or participate in a moron's forum.

Another point Peter brought up, is getting more of our members to participate. I have a friend that is a wealth of knowledge in the bikes he likes to play with. He is also very opinionated about club politics and policy but he will not jump into the fray with his ideas. I'll keep working on him but he's just one of many talented people who should be here. I think the challenge is to get more of OUR silent members on this forum.

Comment

Howdy Eric,

...think I've heard a that guy, might he be the alusive ......SILENT GREY FELLOW?

Comment

Wow, if the last couple of posts haven't hammered home the point, then I guess nothing will!!! You guys are right on point. It would really be a great thing for some of our non-forum participating members to get involved. There is a wealth of knowledge in this club and that's a fact!!!

Comment

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...&threadid=4186

Comment

Good one John.............. I've seen a few more get through that were a little more controversial........

Comment

Originally posted by c.o.
                                Wow, if the last couple of posts haven't hammered home the point, then I guess nothing will!!! You guys are right on point. It would really be a great thing for some of our non-forum participating members to get involved. There is a wealth of knowledge in this club and that's a fact!!!
                                keep in mind that some of our members dont have the internet or dont care to use it. If somebody wants to post they can join as our dues are after all pretty cheap! the benifits are worth it! support our club. I do agree with letting them read our posts It may help develope the next generation of restorers and they can see what this club is about. all our machines will be thiers when we take that last ride!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X