No announcement yet.

old motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall seeing a 1909 or 1910 H-D at the old Howard Johnson meet in Orlando back in the early 80's. It was all spread out on a moving blanket, very rusty but seemingly all there. The price was $2000. I was standing next to Bruce Palmer and I made the comment to him that I thought that was an outrageous price for a rusty old moped. Bruce agreed with me but stated that the old guys in our hobby really liked those kinds of motorcycles. At that time I wouldn't look at any bike without a recirulating oil system or kick start. Within a few years I realized how myopic and narrow mined I had been and matured enough to appreciate the real gems that were out there. I also found out that those 'old guys' knew a lot more than the writers at 'Easyriders' and had better stories too.

Comment

Darn nice looking bikes ya got there Louie especially the original and unrestored HD
      That kind of bike has always been my favorite kinda gives a person an idea of what the bike has gone thru in it's life

Comment

VL's are fine bikes , my rider (beater) is a '35 VL and is one of my favorite to ride. There is nothing better than to ride it to the harley shop during one of their events and part it in front of the main door and let it puke a nice puddle of fresh 50 wt. Some of the "new" riders say "hey, your bike is leaking", the others just ignore it like the plaque.

(sorry, another crappy picture)
        Attached Files

Comment

Let's hear it for the beaters!!!!!!

Comment

sure luv mine!

sure love my 48 chief(barn fresh) i am the second owner. want to send a pic but i only have adegree in the school of hard knocks

Comment

Wish my VL was a 3rd of the way to being complete

Comment

riding the old uns

hello , thought you might like a pic of my 1912 Excelsior I'd just ridden 70 miles to Harwich port to get a ferry to Holland for the Dutch Club 'The Oldtimers' yearly rally for old American bikes , mainly HD 45's but always a sprinkling of Indians , the odd Henderson an occasional Ace , this year there was a '13 Harley too , keep the old bikes going , they are great fun and you meet the nicest of people
                Attached Files

Comment

That's what it's all about Ken........that's what it's all about.......
                  Very nice old excelsior indeed!

Comment

The photos were great, that sport model is awesome - neat machine. I have a 25 scout, but sure like those sport models,thanks for sharing.

Comment

For you Indian fans..........there's a '06 Camelback on e-bay to have a look at. The item # is 17003863051

Check out his other auctions........he's got an Excelsior and a JD too!

Comment

Hi c.o. , you have left a zero out the number should be 170038630501 , nice bike , thanks for the lead anyway , Ken

Comment

oops The fella does have some nice bikes for sale though don't he????

Comment

[There is nothing better than to ride it to the harley shop during one of their events and part it in front of the main door and let it puke a nice puddle of fresh 50 wt. Some of the "new" riders say "hey, your bike is leaking", the others just ignore it like the plaque.

It's not leaking....it's just marking it's territory!!

TR

Comment

plague- black death.....

Ken Lee wins the "cool ride" of the month award! Hands down. Good job Ken!
                              Any road stories? Smooth trip?

A few of the sales guys at my local HD would very much like to buy my Indian bobber? I'm always welcome. The employees know what it is. The customers don't.

I think we all forget how cool it must look to a new rider when one kicks an older bike to life. Most modern Harley riders who just spent a huge whack of doe - hate being upstaged. I've noticed that also. Hee-hee.....

I enjoy drowning out the modern stuff with the sound of my simple flat head and straight pipes. ahhhh.... such joy! Have heard a customer (yuppie with more money than brains) ask a sales guy "How'd he get it so loud?" and "Why doesn't my bike sound like that?"

My second greatest joy is asking the cute new merchandice girl if the new shipment of Harley toilet paper has arrived yet. They always fall for that...... hee-hee.....such fun.

gotta git me a knuckle..... ummmmm....

Comment

Well , smooth-ish , I left in the dark , 4am , boat was 8-45 but thought better very early than wave it goodbye at the dock , just as well because the timing slipped just at the same time as a police car pulled up behind me , he passed me in the opposite direction and the only lights I had on were bicycle LED , torch on the front and similar on the back , he was just curious and wished me well , the timing fixed in about ten minutes and off again , light by the time the belt broke about 20 miles from Harwich but I had a spare (I have been experimenting with different connections on belts this was two old belts riveted together) , that fitted I was on my way again and got to the dock 2 hours early , the old Ex potters along at about 35 miles an hour and is quite happy at that speed . Off the boat in Holland and although the rally is only about 20 miles , it still , after about 20 years of going , takes between 30 & 40 miles to find , we always get lost , anyway a short distance from the rally I stopped to ask a couple of Dutch Police riders the way , they pointed me in the right direction then asked why I didn't have a number plate , the old bikes do rattle a bit and modern roads with their pot holes and bumps do not help , ''Oh I had it when I came off the boat'' , they asked for my papers and I said I do not carry them , they looked at each other and waved me on , it's a great weekend with about 250 pre 1966 American bikes , mainly 45's but this year there were a hell of a lot of U's and Knuckles , also Indians , if anyone would like to see photo's then go to and look on 'fotos' , there is a ride out on the Saturday which I missed as the pedal broke off the Ex but was ok after a spot of welding , bands on Friday and Saturday evenings and silly games on Saturday afternoon which I won on a borrowed 45 , so if that and riding old bikes makes me daft then I plead very guilty . hope you all have as much fun on old bikes , best wishes , Ken

Comment

Working...
                                X