1957-1969 fork tube length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957-1969 fork tube length?

Hi, I am trying to figure out if the length of the fork tubes changed on sportsters between 1957 and 1972. I am using a pair of fork tubes from a 1972 xlch on the front end I am building for my 1964 xlch and I want to be sure that they are the correct length. Any information that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If I remember correctly, the 69 and older fork assembly is totally different from the 70-72. I'll check my books tonight.
    VPH-D

Comment

I am pretty sure that 1968-1972 are all the same internally, but the sliders are different because the use a different fender. But I am just concerned with fork tube length, so let me know if you find any info about that. Thanks!
      Jerry

Comment

The early XL models had several types of fork assemblies.
        57-67 low & high road clearance
        68-70 low and high "
        70-72
        Any fork assy. up to 1977 will bolt right on the early XL frame.

The 70-72 forks look the most like the early stuff, excepting the fork boots. The disc brake forks offer a major improvement in stopping power, but don't look very correct Hope this helps.
        VPH-D

Comment

I am aware of the different options for each of the years as you listed, but I just need to know the lengths for the fork tubes. i am trying to figure out if a pair of 1971 xlch fork tubes will be the stock length for my 1969 sportster (high road clearance). do you have that info available?
          Thanks!

Comment

fork tube length

According to the J&P cycles vintage catalog. the stock fork tube length for 1957-1972 is 22 3/4". My original parts book (1953-1963 k andxl) only adds 1" to "special" length. Can't find anything else in my books. Hope this helps. I see we live in the same area, know any shops that know how to work on these old sportsters. Mine is a 1961 XLCH.

Comment

I have my 1964 xlch at a place called "DP Cycles" right now which is in Philly right off the Bridge St. exit of I-95. The owner seems to know about the old Sportys. The phone number is 215-743-2933. Ask for Don, he is the owner.

Comment

I guess I'm not understanding you. If you're asking if the tubes themselves will work, then, no they won't. The complete assy. will work. As for length, High road clearance is about 21 1/4" and Low road clearance is about 20 1/4" in length. Big Twin fork length is about 20 1/4" for comparison. These figures are measured from the bottom of the lower tree to the axle centerline, with bike on side stand, and are approximate. Hope this helps.
                VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                X