american motorcycles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• american motorcycles.

I think it is truly amazing that such a large country like america did not produce more than 3 makes of motorcycle (harley, indian and excelsior) that were reconised the world over or produced in large numbers. Surley the technology was here to mass produce motorcycles, well it was for cars. Maybe there was not enough interest in motorcycles like there was say in england in the early 1900's or was it that the depression got in the way, but then the depression was really a world wide disaster so I count that out as an excuse so what else could have caused such a feeble turn out of motorcycle manufactures here in the USA.?
    Has any of you americans got any theories, I mean there were at least ten or twelve large capacity motorcycle manufactures in england that I can think of. I would be really interested to read your views on this subject. Oh and please don't take this the wrong way I am not trying to insult the american people in any way I am just interested in what happened.
    Yours sincerly Roland.
    P.S. i have included another pic of my bike for you all.
    Attached Files

Hi Roland:
    The simple answer is twofold- cheap gasoline prices, and cheap automobiles. In the twenties, the average US family man could buy a model T Ford for less than a large motorcycle. In England and Europe, cars, fuel, and road tax were much higher, forcing the average family man to use a motorcycle and often a sidecar for commuting to work, family holidays and outings. Their motorcycle industry thrived as a result until post WW-2. Motorcycles in the USA became largely the tools of police forces and those interested in motorcycling as a sport rather than a method of daily transportation. Before WW-1 and the cheap car, there were many manufacturers of motorcycles in the USA besides the big three, and the USA produced some of the most advanced motorcycles in the world during that era- eg.- Pope, Thor, Flying Merkel, Cyclone, Iver-Johnson, Pierce, Ace, etc., etc.
    Pete Gagan

Comment

Hi Roland - could you show a detailed shot of the Isle of Mann logo on the drive cover. Could you talk about the devl history of your bike in the brit sect.

Over 300 at one point. The mass assemb of four wheeled autos which cost less than most bikes was the death blow.

British roads, density of population, taxation system and licencing encouraged Mcycl ownership.

Comment

woooo... Pete beat me to it.

Comment

american motorcycles

Hi Pete and adminguy.
          OK yes I can see your theories about the cheep gas, gas(petrol) in england has always been expensive as far back as when I first started biking in the early 70's mostly because the goverment put's a heavy tax on it I think we were paying 3/4 of the price in tax. As for the other american bikes I do know of the Flying Merkel, Pierce and the pope but have not heard of the rest, would like to see them though, I guess now that I am a member of this club I may very well get to see them in the magazine or for real, my eyes are always open towards other old motorcycles I like them all and I am very interested in anything I have never come across before.
          Here is a picture of that camshaft cover and a web address that has some history on the excelsior manxman www.dropbears.com/m/models/classic/excelsior.htm
          I will give some history of my bike as soon as i can hopfully this evening when I have some spare time.
          Cheers for now Roland.
          P.S. sorry the pic is a little dark I will take some more later on.
          Attached Files

Comment

Mr. Gagan's answer is most correct. In the US the 19 teens were the heyday of motorcycling. Government contracts to Harley, Indian, and Excellsior, to provide Military bikes and the lack of raw matreials put most of the dozens of US manufacturers out of business. Indian's total dedication to military bikes started it down the road to extinction while Harley continued to manufacture civilian bikes. WWI was the death of competition in the US motorcycle industry.

Comment

Same goes for the automotive industry here in the U.S.. Only the big three really survived while classics such as Packard went under. Paps

Comment

As others have already stated, before World War One the American motorcycle industry was a very exciting and diverse scene full of innovation and rapid advancement and many different makes; good and reliable road-worthy bikes.

But just when really excellent advanced designs like the OHV Jefferson and Pope, the OHC Cyclone, and the SHAFT V-twin Feilbach were entering the picture the entire situation changed with the war in Europe (thanks alot!) and then America's direct involvement in 1917.

When the dust settled everything had changed and most of all the economics of scale and taste that made the Ford T cheaper and cheaper and cheaper while in comparison the motorcycle became more expensive and didn't even have a roof to keep the rain out!

In the 1920s U.S. motorcycle design stagnated and became decadent with little new or exciting stuff compared to the Teens. Meanwhile in Britain they discovered the thrill that advanced little 350cc OHV motorcycles offered while the Germans pursued very sensible shaft/opposed-motors with some OHV models.

It took us Americans until 1936 to catch up again.

The rest is history....

Comment

I forgot to mention another one of my favorite early greats.

That's the Minneapolis 2-speed of 1912.

What made that bike outstanding was that it was "unit construction" with the engine and gearbox in the modern position. For a 1912 bike it looked very modern and "right."

Very modern when you remember that in 1914 Harley put its 2-speed in the rear hub!

The builders of the teens were on the right track.

IMHO, the "perfect" motorcycle of the day would have had the unit construction of the Minneapolis (but with a 3-speed); the v-twin engine of the OHV Jefferson or OHC Cyclone (your option); the final SHAFT of the Feilbach; the reliability of the Harley-Davidson; and the speed appeal of the laughing Indian!

Any other dream-combos of real bike early features out there?

Comment

Working...
                  X