Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Italian Bike owners alive out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Italian Bike owners alive out there?

Geez, glad I don't own one. I'd be the only person on this list.
    Wake up everyone!

Sure. Italian bikes are great. I have a 1957 Motom TS, which looks like a cruise missle with handlebars- 98 ccs., overhead cam, downdraft Webber carb, totally enclosed, etc. A Motom TS is the only motorcycle exhibited in the Museum of Modern Art in New York. I just acquired a Laverda 750 SF, just AMCA eligable, which is a vertical twin like a Triumph, but dare I say better. I will be riding it at Borrego Springs and Temecula in a couple of weeks at the AMCAroad runs.
    Pete Gagan, Prez.

Comment

Good on you Pete.
      Just saw that there had been no comments from this group for so long!
      Hopefully this'll get things going!

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Comment

I briefly had a 1967 Montgomery Wards Riverside, 350cc 4 stroke single. Made by Benelli. Does that qualify?

Comment

Bad news is I sold my old '72 750 Ducati....good news is my wife bought a 2000 ST2 Ducati, hope it don't kill either of us. I do have '67 HD Sprint and a '69 Indian Mini Mini with sidecar. I think there is just not many old Italian bikes (full size anyway) in the States.

Louie

Comment

Just picked up a nice all original 5000 mile 1972 Ducati 350 Mark3. Was astonished to see 2 names on the ownership of guys who went to my high school in the 60's, the first owner being Jordan Anka, a cousin of Paul's ( you know ,the old Canuk crooner from Ottawa) , I got his number and called him up and he was equally astonished. ( Jordan , not Paul!) Also have a Benelli 360 "Mojave" ( sold by Wards Montgomery) , a pushrod ohv 4 stroke single with cool Rickman like styling all done in steel. And finally have just been offered SEVERAL new in the crate bevel Dukes, SFC, and Bimotas!!! Doubt if I can afford any!
            Woops, one more, just rediscovered the only Laverda 750 SFC sold new in Ottawa.
            Over the years I have seen many nice "bacon slicer" Guzzis across the USA.

Comment

I know a guy down the road the road races an early 70's Ducati 750. He's got a couple of singles as well. I also know another fella locally that spends his summer days cruisin' on his Guzzi. So I guess they're around at least in my area........ The Duc racer sounds pretty cool!!!!!!

Comment

After many years without anything Italian (I used to roadrace a 750 Sport in the late 1970s) last year I bought a little Ducati mutt - 160cc single engine in a 250 chassis with aftermarket cafe race style gas tank and seat.
                I campaigned it in last year's wonderful Moto Giro US (run by USCRA) and did ok, if you don't count when it died half way through the 1st morning leg. After a ride to the lunch stop in a pick up truck, we fixed the points and she ran like a top the rest of the event. Fun little bike and a lot less money than any Indians or Harleys.

Comment

My sole Italian bike is a 78 Harley SX175 by Aermacchi. The guy I got is from was told by his wife to "clean out that d****d barn full of bikes". Among his 20 some metric dirt bikes was the lone HD which he referred to as "Italian junk". Well I agrred that they come dirt cheap so in my wifes pickup went the bike frozen engine and all. Engine rebuilt (carb & plug off, 3"water in case) and junk switches fixed along with the mouse chewed wires. Bike runs great. It is a shame that HDs pricing couldn't compete.

Comment

anybody have pictures or have receintly visited this museum in the netherlands? looks interesting.

http://motormuseum.20m.com/index.html

I got to look at an earily 70s laverda 750 eng. torn down once. Over built is such an understatement for this noted tractor manufacturer.

Comment

Hi
                      The Italian section is a bit quiet, so as way of introduction I thought I'd stick a post here

My name is Tomo, I'm from Downunder, I am getting into Indians, but have had Italian bikes for a long time

My collection at the moment includes a 750 Sport, 900 Darmah, 1000 (mille) Hailwood, Bimota DBIas well as 4 Indians and BSA Bushman

Cheers
                      Tomo

Comment

Just in case anyone is watching, I am a newish member and own a few Italian bikes:
                        1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello ISDT trials special
                        1974 SWM 125ES Six Days
                        1974 Mazzilli RC125
                        1974 Ducati 750GT
                        1976 SWM Silver Vase 250
                        1977 Simonini 250 Shadow
                        1980 Ducati Darmah 900SS
                        1988 Ducati 750F1S
                        2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S

Moto Bella!

Comment

Here's my '72 MotoGuzzi Ambassador on Main St. in Sturgis this year. I rode out with the Viking Chapter, MN.
                          JU

Comment

bought a 65 H-D sprint new so will always have a soft spot for Italian . Love the lines. Now have a 65 Sprint H and 67 SS also a Parilla Olympic All rough and in need of good home
                            Steve

Comment

I have my 1960s Ducati 250 Monza cafe racer that I compete with on the Moto Giro US in the northeast. I also have an original paint Ducati 250 Mark 3 and a MotoBi 250 semi-factory Zanzani GP roadracer.

Buzz Kanter
                              Buzz Kanter
                              Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                              [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                              [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X