Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle Classics Magazine/1917 Henderson article.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Classics Magazine/1917 Henderson article.....

I was having a scan through the bike section on the magazine stand at the local gas station and found me a pretty good article. The cover immediately said "pick me up" when I read the words 1917 Henderson !!! It's got a neat little write-up on Dale Walksler's cross country marathon to comemorate the 80th anniversary of Alan T. Bedell's cross-country pilgrimage in 1917. It's a good read for those that may be interested. Check it out if you can find it. The magazine is titled Motorcycle Classics and has a shiney Moto Parilla on the cover.

Riding cross country in the early 1900's had to be an incredible adventure. It's such an injustice that cars got all of the headlines in those days and motorcycles were considered a curiosity. I know that cars traveled with support vehicles and mechanics. The motorcycle endurance rider was on his own to deal with bad roads, exposure to the elements, bad people and animals, and staying awake for 3 or 4 days. It was really more of a sporting event than a machine test.

The other 1917 Henderson accomplishment that astounds me is Blick Wolter's 2 lap ride on the roller coaster. I have a '17 Hen and I have to say that ride had to be white knuckled experience. It's funny to see the picture of Blick Wolter smiling, casually sitting on his '17 Hen perched way up on this roller coaster. That was a different breed of human back in those days.

It's interesting to note that Allan Bedell died in 1917 along with millions of others in the flu epidemic that circled the world. It's believed that was bird flu which we hear so much about today.

Comment

Your right exeric........They certainly did live in different times..... I can only wish that I could have witnessed even one boardtrack race! It would be cool to see pics of the roller coaster ride!!!

Comment

1917 Henderson in the AMCA "Virtual Museum"

Thanks for the info about the Motorcycle Classics Magazine with the 1917 Henderson article. I'll look for it at the store tomorrow.

I was wondering if you might know anything about the beautiful 1917 Henderson in the AMCA "Virtual Museum" at:

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/The.../musview1.html

It looks original - boy would I like to see it in person! I was wondering about this "virtual museum" - it looks like a real museum or exhibit to me, but I was not able to find any info or address listed on the AACA website.

Any information would be most appreciated!

Pete

Comment

Working...
        X