Oil line routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil line routing

I had recently had to replace the oil pump on my 1968 XLH due to a fracture which caused considerable leaking. This is my first attempt at restoring an older bike. The replacement pump is in and the engine is in the frame. Problem is I did not take note or mark the oil lines before they were removed. The lines were chaffed almost all the way thru so I just "took them off" and know I don't know what I'm looking at. Anyone have artistic abilities in diagrams for this problem? I have plenty of new line, clamps. Also, are braided oil lines something to look into? Will it protect lines from vibration wear? Thanks, DAS.

The feed line is routed back along the cases behind the cam and sprocket covers, around the corner of the cases, and is held in place by a sheet metal clip attached to a case bolt. I think the vent and return line pass thru the round hole in the battery support bracket on their way up to the tank fittings. There is a large grommet protecting the oil lines as they pass thru the bracket. If you still have the old lines, they will be kind of molded into their old shape, which should be helpful in figuring out the routing.
    VPH-D

Comment

Stainless braided oil lines will cut through aluminum fairly quickly if they come in contact. Plain rubber lines should be fine. Secure and route properly. The chaffing via contact and/or oil and grit inside of insulating clamps causes wear. A good clean every once in a while should eliminate the problem.

If you use braided lines. You can cover sections that may contact with plastic electrical spiral wrap or split a section of rubber hose with the proper ID by cutting it in a spiral.

Ask at the HD dealership if they know of anyone with a bike simular to yours. Take pictures of it. Try to keep yours correct.

Comment

Oil line routing

Thanks for the information. I did keep the old lines and I'm going use them to help me install the new lines. If anyone does have an older Sport around '67- '68 if you can post a few close ups of the engine I would be very grateful. Thanks much. DAS

Comment

You might try looking in a 71-76 service or owners manual, for any pictures that show oil lines. The 59-69 service manual has no pictures of value. The oil lines should be similar up thru 1976 on the XLH. The lines are tough to see, being jammed behind the oil tank and under the battery. Good luck!
          VPH-D

Comment

Working...
          X