No announcement yet.

Why no shovelheads under tech??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lot of good puns here tho at present im a flathead and ironhead owner I remember and miss a early shovel I used to have. been all over with it rain snow and shine only broke down once in wy or mt not sure where i was but when i ripped the stock coil cover off it was ok i remember i was at a fork in the road with a scrawney tree (the only shade i saw for hours) in this tree there was a bird nest about 6 feet up i picked up the nest and put it in the cover and replaced the nest in the tree so if you ever see a chrome plated nest west of yellowstone I was there. lets get a shovel forum going

Comment

mmoore,
      If only you could remember where you left it, The part is probably worth a fortune in todays market, especially with the story to go with it!
      Early shovels were my favorite for quite sometime!even thou we took off the electric start because it was excess baggage on the MC,Ohhh! so young and foolish! I also remember a few perfectly good rear fenders cut for the same or like reasons!Boy those early flatside shovels were high tech in their day!

Comment

that hapened in 1978 that was a trip I took with no map I just headed west to see the mountains the only rule was no interstates were allowed I wanted to see real america spent 2 weeks on the shovel(76) still not sure where i went but was the best trip I ever took I guess whoever said "It's not the destination but the ride" must have been on one of these rides. someday I would like to try to ride it again, but with all the changes to roads I'm not sure I could find all those roads. I'm not sure these old bones could sleep on hard ground next to the bike under the stars.(better take my air mattress) but mostly I miss all the people I met on the ride I spent more time talking to people in small towns making friends I would never see again. I remember having to wake a old guy up at a 2 pump gas station in echo utah so I could pay for my gas. spent 2-3 hours there just talking. that was my easy rider trip. I highly reccomend it (no interstates and never the same road twice) oh yeah I left my electric starter at home also

Comment

mmoore -

Deja Vu! In 1977, at the tender age of 25, I left N. Carolina on the same type of trip. And, on a 76 Shovelhead. Basically, the same rules. No Interstates. That wasn't my last. That Shovel has been in every state, but RI, AK, and HI. And, no one ever went with me on all those trips, except in 1987. My neighbors son, who was 14 at the time, went with me. I gave him the trip for his birthday. He's a grown man, now. Married with a home of his own. And, we still talk for hours about it, whenever he stops by my shop. I just stop what I'm doing, and we have the trip all over again. Totaled the bike last year, when a minivan ran an intersection. I've got a NOS 76 front end for it. Hope to put it back on the road in a year or so. Thanks for the trip across memory lane.

Jack

Comment

Absolutely nothing sounds like a auto-advance shovelhead at an idle. Not a flathead, not a knuckle, not a pan, not an Evo, and certainly not a Twinkie. The true "potato, potato, potato" sound that everyone associates with a Harley is a shovelhead. On that sound alone, they deserve their own section on this board.
            Lonnie

Comment

Hi Lonnie, I thought I heard it all....What is a Twinkie ???????

Louie

Comment

Twin Cam - sorta fits, don't you think?

Lonnie

Comment

thanks for asking louie i didnt know either but it sounds good

Comment

In this part of the world......a twinkie is a small sweet snack with filling! Made by Hostess !!!But to the rest of it Ill agree nothing sounds quite like an early shovel!

Comment

I requested they add the Sportster listing....and THE MAN did....So lets keep asking for the Shovelhead Listing and hopefully THE MAN will add it.....Shovelheads certainly deserve their own listing! Hrdly

Originally posted by Jack_Hester
                      Just out of curiousity, why are Sportsters listed, and Shovelheads aren't? A 1984 Shovelhead is still a new motorcycle to me. But, so is an Ironhead Sportster (to me, that is). But, if the older Sportsters are being recognized, why not the older Shovelheads? JMO.

Jack

Comment

yes I agree that we need a shovel section I rarely see any around here but im glad to hear some are still around. I was looking thru some old stuff of mine found a listing of early shovel recalls and some other h-d tech bullitins up till about 1980 ill catorgize it and list it here this weekend if anybody is interested. after i save it on a disk I will probaly send it to our library. mike moore

Comment

Youd think with 665 hits and 26 replies we would have one by now! Maybe they arent even looking ! I bet if it was a a JAP bike it would have its own section by now! Lets shake up the cage and maybe we all will get a CHRISTMAS present!

Comment

Yes yes yes, Shovel I understand! Lots of them still there but if you ride yours to these new bike gatherings(read as Bubba on hisBlast) you will find it is the oldest bike in the lot. Been my experience so far that most people haven't a clue as to what my bike is. Heck even drew a crowd at Riders Roost this summer. Think I saw the chrome nest but couldn't stop was chasing my inlaws twinkie

Comment

OK lets all vote maybe if we get 665 replys here this weekend (not just hits) maybe they might see how we feel about this as I said before I dont presently have a shovel but support a shovel forum. as for me I think its time to plan a trip with my step son in search of the chrome nest mike

Comment

A 66 shovelhead is 40 years old there should be a tech spot for them.
                                I voted yes but only 10 other people chose to vote yes also
                                I have a 72 Shovelhead that I have owned for 20 years now with pleanty of memories to go with it also. They deserve their spot also.

Comment

Working...
                                X