Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929-1931 Super X and Jeff's Crocker

Hello!
    this is my first post here, been a member of the AMCA for years but have gotten away from my true love which is vintage motorcycles.

I fell in love with a certain Super X about 6 years ago at hanford, it wasnt for sale then, but came up for sale at el camino and i missed it by a few minutes!!!

i kick myself about that all the time...

but

the bike itself is in Stockton and i know that the owner will never give it up, its been in the club magazine too, a simple bobbed Super X

okay, enough lamenting.

Where can I find more information on these bikes? I have seen limited info on the web but havent really sat down to look, I have built ands restored quite a few harleys, but next to crockers i love the 1929-31 super X the most.

If anybody could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh yeah, what do you guys actually think of Jeff Deckers Crocker anyway, I know it probably bums alot of you purists out. Its an amazing bike, ive riden it, and i hope you all realize how cool it is! Even if its not stock!

Thanx guys!

ive totally forgoten (in the past few years) hom much i love old stock, period bikes!!!!

And, Greg, I still want your Super X damnit!!!!
    Attached Files

I know you guys are reading my post!!!

I would love someones opinion on jeffs bike!!!!!

i know you guys have seen it!!!

please!!

Comment

Crocker custom

It looks pretty slick, I guess the guy must have a lot of money to make a chopper out of a Crocker!

Comment

Hey Dave!

I think that Jeff's Crocker is pretty damn cool! I am a bonafide antique freak, but I can appreciate a well built period custom too. I am a little envious that you got to take it for a ride! I bet it cruises along pretty good! I also have to agree with you on the Super X thing. They are truly cool bikes.

P.S.

I rode my Beezer chop to a vintage rally a couple of hours west of me this past weekend. It was a blast!

Comment

Jeff is truly talented. I've seen his bronze work at the AMA museum and it's incredible. I fell in lust with his Crocker the first time I saw pictures. Restored originals are great and I admire the people who have the patience to put them together but period bobbers and cafe racers have always been my favorites. I have about 2/3 of a 741 basket case and am seriously considering building something along the lines of Jeff's bike. It would be a lot more fun than tracking down old military parts.

Comment

It's very cool. Even w/ modern parts. Hey! It's running! Can't beat that. I think I know of 8-9 that are in process.
            I really want to hear a report on the ride. The full deal - don't hold back! And some shots of the foot control throttle mechanism. HEY! I wanna ride that baby. I'll let him ride my bobber. SD -RR after Sturgis. Latest Pho in scout sect.

C.O. Sadly, missed the O'keefe Ranch get together. Wanna hear all about it. Weather was scetchy and four of my head bolts gave way under 50lbs of pressure. I was so ******-off that I spent the weekend tearing down the top end (barrels off) helicoil inset process on anything that look even close to questionable. My top engine mount bracket is a perfect flush fit but I susspect that someone in the past was not so careful. Chased all threads, cut CAD plateing, anti-sieze, I think I'm up to 18 inserts on this engine. Thankfully I get wholesale minus 20 via pipeline. I was succesful in overlapping a helicoil over an old one that was put in wrong at 5 degree angle. Happy surprise that it held.

Old trick - cut top and bottom off of package (one Inch) use these two true 90 degree angle pieces of card stock as guides at 90 degrees to bore hole. Surprisingly accurate for joe schmoe.

Now I have discovered that I must make a custom spark plug tool for rear plug. Sport Scouts are such a design marvel. Gee... the fun never ends. #@$%!* #&%&&# @!!!#!@%!

Comment

Adming-Guy,

If it's any consolation as far as the rally goes you didn't miss too much. The new organizers didn't show much effort and attendance was very poor. With the horse track put over the old flattrack a lot of people were disappointed. The evenings were good times as usual, but for all intents and purposes I think that the rally is a dying horse that either needs to be put out of it's misery or taken on by caring folk again. I guess we'll see. There's another track opening up in Greenwood apparently and they want to hold a rally at the same time next year. The weather ended up being not too bad. I did however get drowned on my way over the pass! Oncoming traffic was literally throwing walls of water my way! I guess I should think about a front fender eh?

Sorry to hear you were having troubles prior, but I'm sure your going to put on some good miles yet this summer!

And yeah Dave, let's hear how that Crocker cranked!

Comment

Hey Chopperdave!

You got some feedback dude, let's hear about the Crocker ride!

Comment

finally!

Sorry it has taken me so long ro get back to you guys about jeffs bike! I am not at home and tomorrow night I will post a ton of pix of it, including some cool detail shots.
                  Jeffs bike is an amazing ride, I must say that! As far as some of the earlier comments about a foot throttle? No foot throttle, its got an internal throttle, so yes that's why there is no exposed cables or throttle sleeve. Foot clutch and hand shifter yes. The right foot activates the rear brake master cylinder as its got a sprotor (sprocket rotor) on the back.
                  This bike has a ceriani fork and despite the rather heavy frame and motor it handles quite well. Jeff went with what he had on this bike too, repairing the crocker frame with pieces he made to make it complete and to use the vintage beehive oiltank. The drivetrain, most of the frame, the rear fender and some other bits are crocker. He made a ton of amazing parts for it, like the shifter, the exhaust and the amazing gas tanks that he made from 5 different pieces that he cast himself, his is a master sculptor you know...
                  The bike ran great, little bits of white smoke out of the exhaust but over all it ran well. It kind of felt like a 61" knuckle motor but seemed to rev faster and it sounded like a jd motor.
                  I only rode it up and down the street once, but it ruled!
                  Thinkin about it now fuels my new obsession to build a JD, 101, or super x....
                  Jeff is a hero for buildng that bike, yes it would be amazing as a stock bike yes I agree, but he built that bike as a runner. And the crocker parts are too damn pricey even when you consider what his motor alone is worth!

Oh yeah, speakin of crockers, thanx for posting the closeup of the seat cantilever system, I'm building a system like that for a bike I'm building.

Ill post a bunch of pix of jeffs bike tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks Dave! Look forward to pics. BRING IT ON!

I'm thinking of giving Jeff a call to find out where the bike will be in August.

Thank Mike at Crocker for Cantilever photos. I just thought it was really neat and other members would be interested in seeing the system.

I think they have re-cast the arm. So that's a plug for Crocker.

I may put one on the scout but would like to test ride it first. Hee-hee....

Comment

I visited my favorite book store today. I haven't paid much attention to Easyriders since they started featuring the ultra high buck customs but today the latest issue really got my attention. Jeff Decker's Crocker is on the cover. I bought it. There's a really nice feature on it inside. Man, I love that bike.

Comment

Thanks for posting that Kojack. I haven't looked at the mag in years either. But I'll be picking this issue up. Jeff's Crocker is cool!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X