Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMCA Mag Winter 93/Spring 94 Tank Repair Article?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas tank solder page 2-1.jpggas tank solder page 3-1.jpggas tank solder page 4-1.jpggas tank solder page 5-1.jpggas tank solder page 1.jpg
    Last edited by DanM; 06-13-2018, 04:50 PM.
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

gas tank solder page 6-1.jpggas tank solder page 7-1.jpggas tank solder page 8-1.jpg

Sorry for the upside down images. For some reason when I try to rotate and save, they came out the same.

I used this process on my 1926 Harley tanks and currently on 1913. Patience is a virtue. Also, although it comes at the very end, when pressure testing do not use 10 psi. Just 2 psi. I actually ballooned my tanks and they would not fit the frame and I have to hammer work them back. Get a fan to blow the fumes away, maybe a mask. There is a lot of tinning and soldering involved. A lot of fumes. I would be happy to provide more input if desired.
      Dan Margolien
      Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
      Www.yankeechapter.org
      Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Dan. I will try to get this into a single PDF file when I get my computer near some civilization.

I actually just left Geer’s in Deadwood!

Z

Comment

Having attempted a similar repair myself, i too would be interested in this atricle.

A quick google search found a post on the 101 Associations website that states:

"For those aspirants ..........who are brazen enough to attempt their own tank refurbishment ..........there is a comprehensively in depth article, found in the 101 Associations Shop Manual. Found on Page 22A, it was compiled by our esteemed founder and Patriarch, George L. Yarocki. The Late George Yarocki, goes on to describe an in depth process"

I would assume that this is the same materials but it would be interesting iff anyone has this 101 manual and could compare the two.

John

Comment

Originally posted by TechNoir View Post
            Having attempted a similar repair myself, i too would be interested in this atricle
            I would assume that this is the same materials but it would be interesting iff anyone has this 101 manual and could compare the two.
            John, it does indeed appear to be the exact same article with the same pictures!
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

So, I have the entire article as one PDF document complete with right side up pages!
              However, it is too large to post here for some reason. PM me with your e-mail and I will send it to you.

Chad

Comment

Chad, Thank you, and for what its worth, I used free online converter, PDF to JPG to make them small enough to post.
                Dan Margolien
                Www.yankeechapter.org
                Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

So...... anyone have any ideas on where to source this terne plate stuff?
                  It doesn’t appear to be very common.
                  Z

Comment

Originally posted by Zaemo View Post
                    So...... anyone have any ideas on where to source this terne plate stuff?
                    It doesn’t appear to be very common.
                    Z
                    http://www.specialshapes.com/59.html

Its out there for crafting. I looked up tin plated steel.

Also at the local hobby shop, or they can get it. I mentioned K&S in one of my articles for brass tubing and sheet. Th also have small sections of tin plated steel in retail.

WWW.KSMETALS.COM
                    Last edited by DanM; 06-17-2018, 01:23 PM.
                    Dan Margolien
                    Www.yankeechapter.org
                    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X