Need expert opinion on VIN Knucklehead FL 1946

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need expert opinion on VIN Knucklehead FL 1946

I have a Knucklehead 46FL crankcases which likely had been professionally restored already.
    The VIN looks to me a little bit ''too clean'' for 70 years old case .
    Please share your thoughts. Will appreciate any opinion.

IMG_46FL5418.jpg
    Last edited by esliders_1; 08-22-2015, 09:43 PM.

Well slider as long as nobody else commented I will. I think it is restamped for no other reason than typically HD numbers are not that scrunched together. If it were mine I would run the bike.

Jerry

Comment

I agree with Jerry. The boss looks too clean (no sand cast marks) compared to the case. The timing plug hole looks off center (unless the photo angle is playing tricks with my eyes!)
      William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
      http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

esliders_1!

A shot of the belly numbers would be usefull;
        If they are '46 and a different 'serial' in the production numbers, I would find them acceptable.

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-23-2015, 02:25 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

It's restamped. The casting texture and porosity is not consistent with the boss and the stampings are too deep.

Comment

Great thanks for looking and adding comments.
            To make things more interesting will try to add the belly number.
            Looks quite seriously ''doctored''.
            Sure it will not impair the performance of the bike when it will be ready running.
            Wish you all great day.

IMG_46FL5418_1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by esliders_1 View Post
              Great thanks for looking and adding comments.
              To make things more interesting will try to add the belly number.
              Looks quite seriously ''doctored''.
              Sure it will not impair the performance of the bike when it will be ready running.
              Wish you all great day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15529[/ATTACH]

esliders_1

Both halves of the case should have numbers.......it's a bonus if they match
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Chuck
                I am not very sure about the match.
                There are some similarities between both sides still.
                The left is 46-??76 (not exactly clear) and the right 46-7876.
                The font looks kind of different as well.
                The VIN number 46FL5418 is much too earlier to compare with 46-7876.
                What do you reckon? Have a look at a the pics.

IMG_46FL5418_2.jpg

Comment

Not an expert on this kind of thing, but do understand that the numbers on the bellies reflect the number of case mfg in sequence for all E's, EL's combined, whereas the serial no. reflected the number related to that specific model (e.g., E, EL). The numbers wouldnt be expected to match. For example, if there were 2458 E's and 4418 EL's mfg to the date of this case, then it would be OK, I think. The total of E's and EL's adding up to 6876 + 1000 (first ser. no. being 1000)=7876. As to the validity of the serial #, I wouldn't pretend to be able to help you there.
                  Vic Ephrem
                  AMCA #2590

Comment

There's also a test that exists (I know some law enforcement agencies use) that will show evidence of the old number. I believe this test somehow detects the compaction from the original stamping on the underlying and still existing pad.
                    Vic Ephrem
                    AMCA #2590

Comment

Originally posted by 40 Nuck View Post
                      There's also a test that exists (I know some law enforcement agencies use) that will show evidence of the old number. I believe this test somehow detects the compaction from the original stamping on the underlying and still existing pad.
                      That won't work if the number boss has been welded, which this one appears to have been.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

If it is a number job it's a very good one and I would not be concerned with them provided I had a clean matching title in hand I do believe the belly numbers should be a lower sequence than the vin number though

Comment

On the earler VL Big Twins all the model types are run together and the small twin RLs get a separate sequence. For the ohv models I would expect the E, F, EL and FL serial numbers to be interleaved, that is 46EL1234 could be followed by 46FL1235. Again on the VLs the belly numbers typically run say 2-300 behind the engine numbers and are in a different font. This suggests the cases are machined and matched first, then the cases are pulled from a stock of a few hundred, completed, and engine numbers are added later with a different set of punches. You can find early year bikes with belly numbers from the preceding model year, for instance my 36VLH1041 has 1935 belly numbers and neither have been molested. On your specific query, at least you seem to have 1946 engine cases. I'd say the engine numbers are bogus, so enjoy riding and keep the bike off the judging field.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                            On your specific query, at least you seem to have 1946 engine cases. I'd say the engine numbers are bogus, so enjoy riding and keep the bike off the judging field.
                            The AMCA is not the police, and has no business questioning the authenticity of a serial number, unless it doesn't jive with the claimed year of the motorcycle. If the cases are '46, the serial number is '46, and the owner is a member of the AMCA then he has the right to have his motorcycle judged by the AMCA. There are many examples of wonky numbers that have been done by dealers, and have been accepted by the state the bike is registered in.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,

I agree with you 100%, however, the A.M.C.A. uses that catch-all rule, "As it left the factory". This would negate it being judged because we all know a re-stamp, no matter how good, done by anyone other than on the original assembly line of the "Factory", is not, "As it left the factory". Pretty soon there will be no bikes that fit that requirement. LOL.
                              Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 04-05-2016, 08:02 AM.
                              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
                              X